Played a budget tele on our new album – awesomeness!

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by rooboo, Dec 22, 2018.

1. rooboo

rooboo Tele-Meister

We just released our new album. I brought three guitars to the studio: a Gibson Les Paul an Epi Sheraton and a Squier Classic Vibe Telecaster. I ended up playing almost every song with the budget telecaster! Just sounded amazing. I used the Sheraton on two songs and the Gibson on one. But the Squier just sounded best on the rest. Don't underestimate budget guitars!

Link below if you wanna listen. Peace and love, merry xmas!

https://open.spotify.com/album/1rk7nOUWxhmICT0LWlcRve?si=ZrUJ8AJcQQ27lJ8Tfd1ypg

Nubs, soulman969, JeffBlue and 8 others like this.
  2. Djentleman Dan

Djentleman Dan Tele-Holic

rad.gif

3. Rusty Stauffer

Rusty Stauffer Tele-Meister

Thanks!

rooboo likes this.
  4. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Sounds good, man! Thanks for sharing!

rooboo likes this.
  5. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

Decent neck/fretwork , decent sounding pickups
    Nothing else matters ....!!

middy, soulman969, TeleTown and 3 others like this.
  6. JustABluesGuy

JustABluesGuy Friend of Leo's

I love my CV!

7. rooboo

rooboo Tele-Meister

Thank you!

8. Shuster

Shuster Poster Extraordinaire

Love mine too, thought about a pickup swap, but the stock pickups sound so damn good,,, forget about it!

soulman969 likes this.
  9. Fingerbleed

Fingerbleed TDPRI Member

Just started digging a Tele myself! Nice album!

10. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Tele-Afflicted

Nice! I like the riff of Andas In!

Which tracks were with the squier cv?

11. TeleTown

TeleTown Friend of Leo's

oops!

12. TeleTown

TeleTown Friend of Leo's

Yea, the CVs have a nice tone but that neck is to thin for my taste! Enjoyed the cuts very much. Well done Sir!!!!

13. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Been sayin' that for a very long time but many will remain unconvinced. :(

14. soulman969

Do a neck swap. Easy peasy.

My two CVCs have necks from 2006 Nashvilles which is a profile I prefer but any Fender neck will work.

15. TeleTown

TeleTown Friend of Leo's

Nope, id rather build a partscaster to my liking.

soulman969 likes this.
  16. soulman969

Although I really dislike the term "partscaster" essentially that's what I did with mine. I just began with two CVCs I liked and then modified the hell out of them making them into exactly what I wanted. As far as I'm concerned an alder body is an alder body and for the most part that body is about all that's completely original. The rest has pretty much been customized to taste.

It's not that any of this had to be done. Both guitars were fine as is. It's only what I chose to do because I'd somewhat planned to do it all along. The CV Series are great modding platforms.

In addition to the Nashville neck the 'burst has Keystone pickups, 4-way wiring, a treble bleed, .015 cap, compensated saddles, and a vintage pearl pickguard all installed on the original body.

The FSR model got the same neck but with a maple fret board, a Kent Armstrong P90 in the neck in place of the humbucker, a SD Quarter Pound bridge pickup to balance with the P90, some changes in it's electronics, and a Babicz FCH bridge. It's pretty damn unique now compared to how it began.

But the main reason I responded as I did is that the neck profile is all you seemed to object to. If that's the only issue you have why start from scratch and assemble parts as opposed to simply altering the single thing you don't like about a CV? Wouldn't that be much easier?

17. nicod98

nicod98 Tele-Afflicted

Great, fantastic! Good job! But no surprise to me.

Let's be honest. Why call it a budget tele? Only a few years ago a MIM Standard cost what a CV costs now. Today I have to pay 475 euros for a Classic vibe, around the same price as a MIM Standard in 2014 (I remember 499 at that time). A MIM Player now costs 609 euros. Hey, I'm not from a country where new MIM's get sold for 350 euros. I live in a country where taxes and VAT are among the highest in the world. But I assume that even with lower prices, a CV now costs about the same as a MIM standard five years ago.

If the exact same guitar as the CV, with the exact same quality, sold for the exact same price, was made in Mexico with just a different decal today, nobody would call it a budget tele. It would be the cheapest Fender, but nobody would call it budget.

A large part of the budget imago has to do with marketing. Marketeers love putting things in boxes...

So it's budget because it is marketed under the Squier-brand? Anyone care to point out the difference in quality with the Fender Modern Player series, which happens to be made in the same factory as the CV? In my opinion, I cannot find any difference in quality.

Marketing also explains a lot of the "surprise" feeling some people get if they just for once, listen with their ears to the recordings instead of listening with their eyes on the Squier decal. I don't. the Squier Classic Vibe is a very good guitar out of the box.

Please note that I don't put the CV higher than the MIM Std or Player, just that I have problems with the perception of all Squiers being budget. Some are, some - like the CV - can only be called budget because they are marketed as such, not because of their price, nor because of their quality.

18. TeleTown

TeleTown Friend of Leo's

But the main reason I responded as I did is that the neck profile is all you seemed to object to. If that's the only issue you have why start from scratch and assemble parts as opposed to simply altering the single thing you don't like about a CV? Wouldn't that be much easier?[/QUOTE]
    With all due respect! Why do you even care? Move on Sir..

19. derekwarner

derekwarner Tele-Meister

Listening to Andas In.......I closed my eyes & heard a very clean Helter Skelter behind the veil......very good work.......... Derek

20. AxemanVR

AxemanVR Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

The Classic Vibes were made almost too good...

At least they didn’t put a “Fender” decal on the headstock or it might have put the American versions out of business!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.