Played A $4,700 Telecaster This Weekend...

Discussion in 'Fender Custom Shop Tele Forum' started by bsman, Nov 26, 2018.

1. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Yes, or you could just built a partscaster to your desired specs and tweak it yourself for even more savings.

Shuster and The Angry Possum like this.
  2. The Angry Possum

The Angry Possum Tele-Meister

Sorry, but there is no real justification in spending over a thousand dollars on any guitar. I have built several teles for under $500 and they play and sound as good or better than two thousand dollar teles. Using a musikraft neck and a real good body. The rest is inexpensive.

My $495 build.. .

15510395717475901221940454940434.jpg

Last edited: Feb 24, 2019
    Chunkocaster likes this.
  3. The Angry Possum

Exactly !

This natural tele costed me $120. I'm serious. Has a Kmise neck and a heavy alder body. Sounds insane. 15510397261886088524456427059616.jpg

Last edited: Feb 24, 2019
    Chunkocaster likes this.
  4. Ira7

Ira7 Doctor of Teleocity

If anyone here buys a guitar that expensive, leave the price tag hanging.

The non-players will be impressed, although the rest of us will be laughing our asses off.

The Angry Possum likes this.
  5. Morgenholz

Morgenholz TDPRI Member

6. The Angry Possum

True Story, My guitarist in my band has many Les Pauls, Teles, Thinlines, Music Man, Shecters, Suhrs, either Mexico Japan or USA. And he favors his home builds. Loves playing them out. Maybe he doesn't want to scratch them, I don't know.

7. The Angry Possum

True Story, My guitarist in my band has many Les Pauls, Teles, Thinlines, Music Man, Shecters, Suhrs, either Mexico Japan or USA. And he favors his home builds. Loves playing them out. Maybe he doesn't want to scratch them, I don't know.

8. Plumber

Plumber Tele-Meister

I had at one time 12 strats as I could never find one that did what I needed - saw a custom shop strat in a shop and having never played one before I plugged it in to a bad cat.

Played one G chord and headed to the counter

sold off the other strats pretty quickly and ordered another custom shop strat with a rosewood board and shell pink

both the most awesome guitars

not because they are custom shop or indeed any manufacturer but they do work perfectly for my needs

tommyhk, jim777 and The Angry Possum like this.
  9. BuckNekkid

BuckNekkid Tele-Meister

I have a number of guitars ranging from an El-Cheapo G&L Tribute Legacy to a Custom Shop Artisan Robin Trower Strat. This past weekend, I plugged my Telecaster Classic Triple Player into the used Behringer GX112 that I bought for $35 and was transported into heaven. I ditched the picked my instructor has me using and went back to using my thumb and fingernails as I've done for decades, and the sound that $379.99 guitar running clean through an old tube-style amp was pure deliciousness. To me, that's what a Tele is supposed to sound like!

Recently, I gotten over my snobbishness, and am willing to give any guitar a good try.

10. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

Those look nice. I don't know what a Kmise neck is but I see Fender logos. Is that legal?

There is lots of justification for guitars costing more than $1000. Even with a mechanical aptitude, my DIY stuff with amps and guitars proved to be inefficient, and not a hobby I wanted to prioritize. By inefficient I mean I could not do high quality at speed or replicate what much experience brings. Doing stuff with gear ate more time than playing guitars. My fairly common profession can earn nice guitars faster than I could make them.

You also need to consider what people value. My wife would buy $1000 plane tickets and expensive tools for the kitchen before any instrument. Some of my associates spend the $1000 you mention in weeks to months just going out to eat and for entertainment.

I've seen one custom guitar maker's job postings state the guitar builder gets a living wage and benefits. I bet most people making most than $1000 guitars don't get compensated very well. I've had really crappy jobs and some not very good employers so I will support good employers when I can afford it.

Full disclosure: It took decades for me to be far more understanding and accepting of others.

:)

11. The Angry Possum

Its legal if you don't sell them.

12. Cheshiergrin

Cheshiergrin Tele-Holic

I bought an expensive guitar once (3 grand in 06') , I was too afraid to play it. I never really want another guitar I am afraid to play. I was turning into Gollum and worried someone would touch my precious. But we all have different ideas about what is expensive.

13. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

These days the Fender Custom Shop isn't really what it used to be. My guess is that if you bought parts from a place like Warmoth and got it a PLEK you would be really happy.

Back in the day they took orders for anything you could dream up, then they had 50 dealers in the country stocking limited runs of 100 or so, then you started seeing tons of dealers with tons of stock.

They make nice guitars, but for what they are you're paying a premium.

14. jim777

jim777 Tele-Meister

A good hand carved hollow bodied guitar will cost well over 2 grand, and many go for many times that. I don't think I would pay 5 grand for a Tele no matter who made it, but 5 grand for a Benedetto Manhattan I would max out all my credit cards for in a heartbeat.

15. Netty

Netty TDPRI Member

Agreed....I no longer have a herd to thin,just a great Les Paul and a decent HH Strat.I never played the herd anyway.

16. Netty

Netty TDPRI Member

Interesting...Im saving for a Warmoth build after my bassist had great success with his Warmoth project.The only thing...I cant play it till it's finished. There is a bit of risk,isnt there?

17. Netty

Netty TDPRI Member

Is the neck fit up super difficult to get right?

18. NewKid

NewKid Tele-Meister

I love the dark rosewood necks with clay dots on a CS Tele. The wood is definitely hand-selected and beautiful.

However, I can get the tone I want from my American Special and have a Road Worn 50s for my fake-wear fix.

I’m still open to a CS in the future but it will have to be one of those “feel my body tingle” deals when I strum it.

On the door at my local GC they have a sign that says, “We only sell the greatest feeling in the world.” I would definitely pay $4K for that.

tommyhk likes this.
  19. Sax-son

Sax-son TDPRI Member

I have never played a custom shop guitar that didn't sound and play fantastic. If my livelihood depended on it, I would gladly buy one. However, it doesn't so I would be hard pressed to shell out all that money for a relic or closet classic guitar. I have several regular Fender guitars that I am fairly happy with so unless somebody gave me one for a fantastic price, it's doubtful that I will ever own one.

20. tommyhk

tommyhk TDPRI Member

You should send your CV and one of your 120$ home built guitars to Fender. I am sure that the managers there will appreciate that you can create a product that has over 2.000$ margin per piece, and they will hire you right away.

Jokes aside, I am very happy that you are building your Teles so cheap and over all that you enjoy them. If I knew how to do it and I wanted to invest my hours in it, I would also be really happy with my own creations, so I really give you a thumbs up on this one. It's a bit weird that you're putting their logo on your guitar though...

That said, I have tested and played for hours hundreds and hundreds of high end guitars (over 1.500$ lets say) in the last 25 years, not just fenders but also prs, acoustic taylors, etc... and I have a tendency to look for bargains because thats what I would prefer (a 1.000 guitar that plays better than all the 4.000$ equivalents...), BUT this never happens. At least it never happened to me. The very few guitars that I fell in love are usually from the expensive ones, sadly.

However, I can also say that there is not always a direct correlation between price and perceived sound / handling quality: Once I get out of the "fall in love guitars" and just focus on the "good guitars", I've seen inconsistencies. For example, last week I tried a master-built Tele that costed around 7.000$, and I liked far better a couple regular custom shops that were besides them, that costed almost half. I've tried stock acoustics from Taylor that sound (to me) better than any of their custom special editions...

My point is: once I get to the high quality instruments territory, which is about over 1.500$ for a guitar (imho), differences are very small, and you may prefer one of the "cheapest" over a custom-shop, but every time I have had this feeling of "sh#t, this is something else" and checked the price-tag hoping for it to be cheap (I never look at pricetags before playing if it's possible), it has always been another "sh#t, that's going to cost me a lot of money..." and these "fall in love" guitars always happen to be limited editions, custom shops...

What I believe is happening here is that, just like in any art creation, when the artist (builder in this case) is inspired, he can create a combination of materials, craftmanship, etc... that makes for a special instrument that as a whole is more than the sum of it's parts, and transcends it's actual specs, wood kind, etc... If you find one of these guitars, then this is when you bond with it and have the "need" to buy it, that's when an instrument is special... and I highly doubt that you can reach that level of sublime with a 120$ home built, (but maybe I am wrong...)

Another important aspect of custom shop guitars (or pens, or cars, etc...) is that over time they usually keep or increase their value. That doesn't happen with regular "American Standard" guitars, and certainly not with your home built. So these special instruments can be considered as an investment. Not to earn money, but having 4.000$ sitting in your bank account is not that different from having a 4.000$ limited custom Tele at home.... in 5 or 10 years, I doubt you can't sell it for at least that same amount... On the other side, with "regular high quality guitars" in the 1.500$ range, they will inevitably lose some value. It will still be ok and generally regular instruments are sold second hand with a 25%-30% discount, which is not that bad at all.... but with custom shop stuff, specially limited editions, you generally still have the money "available", you may need it anytime.

btw, I bought my first custom shop Tele 2 days ago. After 10 years of checking them out, this is the first time I fall in love with one and can justify the high price tag. It's a '51 relic with a SD paf in the neck.

Alter likes this.
  21. Larmo63

Larmo63 Tele-Afflicted

The first guitar I ever built (out of parts, all high quality) is the best sounding best playing (no set-up) Tele I've ever played.

Beginner's luck?

42tqhuLXRZKgxl5NXWFPuw.jpg

DHart likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.