Played A $4,700 Telecaster This Weekend...

Discussion in 'Fender Custom Shop Tele Forum' started by bsman, Nov 26, 2018.

1. Telepi

Telepi Friend of Leo's

If you offered $3,750 for it, Ill bet it could be yours for 3,998.

2. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

My point though, is that the feel is what they really get right with those. When you play one of the higher end ones, they somehow got them to feel like a 40-50 year old guitar. That’s what I find most impressive about the higher ended relics. Not the cosmetics.

Evil Funk likes this.
  3. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

I was personally against the look of a relic guitar. That is until a buddy of mine left one with me for a few weeks. He was selling it and I told him I wasn't interested. He said he'd leave it with me to play around with and give my personal opinion on it, so I figured why not. I ended up buying it.
    Its a masterbuilt relic nocaster and its got to be one of the best sounding and playing guitars I've ever owned. The only vintage teles I've owned for comparison is a 62 and a 67 but those are different animals.
    I do alot of bar gigs and I figure the rough look benefits me in a couple ways. I don't worry about bumps and bruises and I that the theft factor is less as maybe most would think it isn't worth much.
    One thing for sure, I no longer have a bias against relic guitars. The worn feel of the neck is how I would love all my guitars.
    I'm currently on the hunt for a used custom shop 52 and it will most likely be a relic.

4. jim777

jim777 Tele-Meister

I think I've said this before, but a friend of mine has a completely bone stock '52 in mint condition, serial number in the 32xx range, and ANY new Squire would absolutely blow it away. It wouldn't (IMHO) even make a decent canoe paddle. AND, you couldn't get it from him for anything near the $5K a killer Custom Shop would run you. I agree with telepi above, "If you offered $3,750 for it, Ill bet it could be yours for 3,998."

5. chemobrain

chemobrain Friend of Leo's

yes, oh the things we own end up owning us, or at least the things that I covet do.
    having limited skills and a tin ear, I understand that a pretty little Squier right off the shelf has more spank than I can plank :oops: no , that's more plank than I can spank.I have a myth that runs around inside my system of fractured beliefs that touch is where the the tone is, I have know a few that can take anything skanky with strings and conjure sweet sweet music out of the beasts, no it's not the mirrors that they use, maybe it's how they position them.
    should I get the Squier John 5 black or the John 5 gold, so many options so little time. :confused:

bender66, joebloggs13 and bsman like this.
  6. joebloggs13

joebloggs13 Tele-Holic

Although I am very happy with the guitars I currently own, and have no desire for anything right now.....The one itch that I will one day scratch is that of the Fender Custom Shop Masterbuilt series.....and it will be a Tele....It's the only guitar upon which I would be willing to drop a significant amount of money. The Masterbuilt Teles are in another league for me and have this quality that draws me in.....I am a Gibson fanboy, but their custom shop offerings don't affect me like the Masterbuilt Teles do.

7. marc2211

marc2211 Tele-Meister

I had the opposite with a few guitars this year;

I really wanted a Les Paul and also a new high quality Tele.

I tried a few 2017 and 2018 Gibson LPs... I didn’t find one that took me, they all played terribly. Some sounded good, but I had no luck finding one I really liked. I was in a good boutique store so tried some older ones... I went up to about 9k for guitars from the 70s and 80s and found only one that really took me, an r7 that was waaaaay outside the price I was willing to pay.

They had 2 70s teles, one early at 72, one 77 my birth year. They played awfully. I finally played 3 or 4 CS teles... one sounded amazing, and I was very tempted, but not enough to pay 6k.

I walked out with a Squier thinline 72 modified tele that played like butter and had a lovely tone. I realized I’d been playing it between each guitar and had bonded with it without realizing - it was 300 euro and played better than anything I’d picked up! Worriedly and luckily for me, it still played like butter when I got home !

I honestly think that it’s not the price of the instrument, nor the make, nor the wood - it somehow goes deeper than that.

8. mijstrat72

mijstrat72 Tele-Afflicted

My question is...everyone that owns a CS guitar remarks about the "feel" that sets the guitar apart from your normal run o the mill guitars. Ok...what exactly is this referring too? Is the neck sanded, every corner smoothed over, the frets have been buffed to infinity? What constitutes this "feel" specifically?

9. shinigami747

shinigami747 Tele-Holic

Hi OP,
    Same here.
    Never touched any of those expensive CS relic'd teles until i was in a GC with my '64 princeton non-reverb (long story)
    For lack of a better description - everything on it felt so right. Setup was immaculate. My partscaster has components i selected based on my own preferences and plays well, but this guitar was one cohesive unit.
    I had to step away from that guitar if i wanted to walk away without losing 5k from my bank account and my wife wanting to murder me slowly

bsman likes this.
  10. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

Amen, I know I can. Then I spend that coin on an alternative vice. Or several vices..

Honestly, I totally appreciate those sweet high end US and CS gits. But I have a rule [#1] about seeing the forest for the trees. And I won't get into my wife's rules. ;) Kidding about that, as she and I don't role like that with each other, so I have to rely on rule #1, else I will be sitting in a double wide with a bunch of nice expensive gits. ;)

If I could right it off....

But if...

[​IMG]

11. bsman

bsman Tele-Afflicted

If you really think that with my kitchen-table workshop, my extensive 3-hours of experience (mostly working on electronics and setups) I can do as well as a master builder with decades of experience in Fender’s factory, I would like some of what you’re smoking! ;)

Evil Funk likes this.
  12. nvilletele

nvilletele Friend of Leo's

I was lucky enough to once snag a $4000+ NAMM limited custom shop guitar on Craigslist for $600 (it was sold by a rich guy who was “paying it forward.” And got an extra tweed case, in addition to the CS case.

Showed it to my teacher, who tried it and then said “Now you can get rid of all your other guitars. This one is all you need.”

Sometimes there are meaningful differences.

Rat City and joebloggs13 like this.
  13. nocastermike

nocastermike Tele-Meister

I feel the CS models are amazing. I have 3 and they are way better than the standard line models in every way. You can get scary close to the real vintage ones. I have a real 56 to compare with. The real one has a better soft V, than anything I've ever touched and its more revealing from touch to speaker. The CS models are pretty special though. Worth the money if you want the improved feel and attention to detail.

joebloggs13 likes this.
  14. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Friend of Leo's

I think if you could find a 6x10 space and about 1500 in tools and benches, you're in it to build anything you could measure or mark.

There are really difficult to build instruments, but not of the fender types. ( I know you were just kidding, though!)

Attached Files:

Ricky D. likes this.
  15. mfguitar

mfguitar Tele-Holic

I am blessed to have a few really nice Fenders, a fantastic G&L, and several home builds. A Tom Anderson came to me last year, new it would be close to that number, mine was pre-loved. There is something wonderful about that guitar that cannot be easily described and I have little need to play anything else. If I had to I would trade everything to get something similar. I am not at all a fan of relics but I really like the Kelton Swade models that just look well played. I will have to have one someday.

16. Deeve

Deeve Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Whoa! I did NOT see that coming.
    I haven't seen/heard anything about that builder in a while and thought he'd been shuttered by the enforcement team @ Brand F.

(April 2017)
    https://casetext.com/case/fender-mu...-v-kelton-swade-individually-kelton-swade-llc

Last edited: Dec 25, 2018
  17. mfguitar

mfguitar Tele-Holic

Alive and kicking in Nashville, he did recently vanish from my friends list on FB though. I wonder why Fender singled him out and not the hundreds of other builders out there.

18. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

I had only ever seen one CS Fender when I walked into a small shop on the north side of Chicago. On the wall was probably 50 CS Strats and Teles. I was literally speechless and afraid to touch anything. The sales guy asked if I wanted to try anything and I was honest in telling him I couldn't afford anything in the shop. He said no sweat, play anything you want. He hooked me up with some sort of exotic amp and a cable and left me to it. I played maybe a dozen and every one of them was just amazing, like nothing I'd ever played. One day.

Evil Funk and nocastermike like this.
  19. BopT

BopT Tele-Afflicted

Don’t give up on getting anything in this world! Especially if it was made by Fender!

Woollymonster and Rusty Stauffer like this.
  20. L.A.Zee

L.A.Zee Tele-Meister

I’ve never understood the insane prices for those custom-shop beat-up numbers. However, I was passing some time at Bananas at Large in Santa Rosa yesterday, checking out a few teles (through a Hot Rod DeVille) - really liked the Baja and may just end up with one. At any rate, after I played several, the salesman put one in my hands and told me to play it before I looked at the price. It looked like ten miles of bad road, but the neck felt good, and it was nice and light, so I plugged it in and my God - no settings had changed on the amp, but it just sounded huge, profound, and resonant.

The guitar itself was a master-built custom shop. I would call it a ‘custom-custom’, because it had the double binding like the ‘62 customs and a HB in the neck like a ‘72 customs. It also had, interestingly enough, a left-handed bridge (i.e. the bridge pickup was slanted the opposite direction you would normally expect).

You didn't say what happened to your heart and face and body when you found out the price...these things matter!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.