Playability differences between strat and tele

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Owenmoney, Jan 4, 2018.

1. Owenmoney

Owenmoney Tele-Afflicted

I’ve often wondered why players think there is better access to upper frets on a strat than on a tele. The upper cutaway starts at the same place on both guitars. I have both and see no difference in playability between them . So I ask where is the difference, I only see an optical illusion not a real difference.

Teleterr likes this.
  2. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Now look what you did! I have to go and play both of them to figure out what the hell you’re talking about. :mad:

Piggy Stu, jsp737, rich815 and 8 others like this.
  3. gitarjoe

gitarjoe Tele-Afflicted

the only feel difference for me, is that strats keeping slipping away with that belly cut.

Mike Simpson, ozzeng, VB Tele and 7 others like this.
  4. edvard

edvard Tele-Afflicted

Thumb. If you're the type to wrap your thumb around the neck, there's more room for it on a Strat.

Ex-riverman, Jakeboy, KCJonez and 7 others like this.
  5. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

Nope!...I'd have to go unlock a closet door, dig out the Strat case, drag it into the music room, pull out the Strat.....whew!!!!...I'm worn out just thinking about it. You guys just tell me what you think and I'll go along with the consensus.....

6. Doghouse_Riley

Doghouse_Riley Tele-Afflicted

I switch back and forth between Tele and Strat all day long. I love both. I think they both play great. Biggest differences IMO are tone and whammy bar. I've never had an issue with reaching the upper frets on Teles and wasn't aware that others do.

Kreepy, NMore, Sinner1980 and 4 others like this.
  7. Old Tele man

Old Tele man Friend of Leo's

One reason I sold the Strat that I had: I just could NOT accept how the bridge saddles moved UP (higher from body) when the tremolo bar was depressed...as compared to how the Jazzmaster bridge only moved forward & aft slightly. Of course, a stock Tele moves NOT.

8. IronSchef

IronSchef Tele-Holic

I think two bigger "playability" differences between the two models are:

• No middle pickup on Tele - easier to pick/strum w/o hitting pickup, yet fewer tonal options than on Strat
    • Trem on Strat - if you add springs or deck the trem, it will be more like the Tele string-through, but a floating Trem certainly plays differently than a hard tail
    Multiples of both are required, IMHO, :)

9. PCollen

PCollen Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

The Strat hangs differently due to the length of the upper bout...the Tele strap button is over the 16th fret where the Strat strap button is over the 13th fret. Makes the Tele seem like it has a longer neck but its an illusion. No difference in upper or lower cutaway locations. I never noticed any difference in upper fret access.

Edited: Tele Strat button > Tele strap button

Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
  10. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

Playability differences? I'd look at the neck profile and realize that you can pretty much put any neck profile on either guitar. The other place one may be more comfortable than the other is sitting. My Strat slips more in my lap than my Tele but I can find a good to great sound for almost everything I play with my 7 sound Strat. There are some spectacular sounds I get from my Tele but it just fits well enough for others. My Strat is the most versatile followed by the Tele. My SG and Annie are one set guitars.

cbeatles and Nickadermis like this.
  11. PCollen

PCollen Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

And Tele's dig into my rib cage without that belly cut.....

DougM likes this.
  12. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Jimi Hendrix said (in about 1968 IIRC) ' everybody's raving about the 58 Les Paul or the 63 this or 54 that...... I guess they're just into a vintage bag right now. The Telecaster has one good sound, one bad one. The Strat has three good sounds.'

Bearing in mind his girlfriend bought him his first and:early on he probably couldn't afford a Gibson he may have been rationalising.

RedRiverII likes this.
  13. Owenmoney

Owenmoney Tele-Afflicted

Both necks attach at the same fret, there’s a curve at the upper bout of the tele that my thumb fits in nicely and there’s not that much more space on a strat, I think it’s just an illusion , most people perceive it to be a cut away when most of it is just a bigger horn

PCollen likes this.
  14. Owenmoney

Owenmoney Tele-Afflicted

Yes there’s some more room, but I find there’s plenty on the tele too, my fingers are thin but ..... I don’t think it’s really that big a difference, reddd V and Johnny highland have big fingers and they do just fine on a tele !

8barlouie likes this.
  15. Owenmoney

Owenmoney Tele-Afflicted

I totally agree with your answer, I like the way the tele hangs better too, I keep thinking the strat would be better without the upper horn !

16. Owenmoney

Owenmoney Tele-Afflicted

I think I may hear that over on strat talk , usually as a reason why they someone doesn’t like teles. It just never made sense to me. Both guitars are great, I love teles more but find strats to be a close second.

8barlouie likes this.
  17. Sconnie

Sconnie Tele-Afflicted

The biggest difference for me is that my strat sounds like poo compared to my tele so I can only play it for 30 minutes before it makes me switch. Guitars that don't sound as good are harder to play ;)

Also strat knobs are way too close for people who lack finesse... :rolleyes:

18. Nickadermis

Nickadermis Friend of Leo's

I just received my very first Strat today. I love My Tele's !

This little strat really feels nice all curvy and smooth and the neck feels great and ...............who put that volume knob there ? REALLY?................

19. PinewoodRo

PinewoodRo Tele-Afflicted

Been playing for 40 years and never realised people thought this. I find the flatter radius on my Strat makes it slightly more difficult on the high frets.

Nickadermis likes this.
  20. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

Well I am sick and tired of banging my pinky into a Strats volume knob, so that alone mskes the Tele more playable.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.