Play to your strengths and cheat when you have to

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Lunchie, Dec 27, 2013.

1. dsutton24

dsutton24 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

You shouldn't be talking about your dad that way, I'm well past forty. But, you do get a bonus point for using the word 'clowder' correctly.

2. Lunchie

Lunchie Poster Extraordinaire

You can thank Dr. Cooper and Zazzy for that.

3. CT SA

CT SA TDPRI Member

Perfect. PlAying the the appropriate part for song in the relation to the band and gig at hand.

Eg. In the last 2 weeks Played "Ain't no sunshine" in my jazz duo with vocalist, played in instrumental trio and jammed it at a blues rock gig. Each require very different approaches.

4. Dunzie

Dunzie Tele-Holic

I was in a quiet guitar shop a while ago and was trying out a few guitars, playing amps on clean settings with some easy blues riffs and runs, and the only other guy in the shop was playing some REALLY fast metal fingering that I could never hope to play. My mind can't even process the progressions he played, let alone emulate them with my hands. I didn't enjoy the sound at all, with heavy gain and distortion, but the sheer speed blew me away.

Sales guy comes over and says 'wow that sounds great' and I say 'well it sure isn't like what he's playing over there'. He goes on to tell me that he gets so tired and sick of all the shredding they listen to and how he'd listen to a great bluesy sound any day in the shop. Maybe he was being polite or trying to sell me a DRRI. But it got me thinking about my love for Clapton and Gilmour and others, and how it isn't the speed or complexity I dig, it's the feel that you can't describe.

Don't get me wrong, I'd still love my fingers to move like the lightning speed this guy's were, I just don't necessarily want to listen to it for long...

5. goonie

goonie Friend of Leo's

It's weird isn't it, how many 'talented' guitarists struggle with the simple things like knowing the song, knowing when to play nothing, listening to the drummer.

6. TeleBrew

TeleBrew Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

A pivotal moment for me came when I read an interview with Leslie West when I was a teenager. The gist of it was that you didn't have to be the flashiest, fastest guy out there to make good music. If you haven't listened to Mountain, or anything else he's played on in a while, do yourself a favor. He's an underrated master of playing to one's strengths and making timeless music to boot.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.