Plastic Tex Mex Pickups

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Johnny_B, Oct 9, 2019.

1. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Afflicted

My Nashville Tele came with Tex-Mex pups. I took them out. Overly shrill sounding to my ears, but each to their own for what sounds good for each person's application.

I'm also not a fan of plastic bobbins vs fiber. However, many if not most of the American Standards had them for decades (though I don't particularly prefer those pups either).

If you can't return them, then you should at least try them.

2. YoGeorge

YoGeorge Tele-Afflicted

I have a 73 LP Deluxe with minibuckers and they RAWK. I also have 4 70's Gibson minis in my parts drawer, 2 of them are a set with LP Deluxe surrounds. Make me an offer :) I would also sell the LP Deluxe, not perfect but not cheap.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
  3. 39martind18

39martind18 Tele-Holic

The mini humbuckers I have are in an early 2000s USA Epiphone Sheraton and an Elitist Riviera 12 string, and they sound SOOOOOOOO good, especially thru my '71 6l6 powered, 2x10 JBL equipped Deluxe Reverb.

4. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

To me too. And to the OP, if there is no baseplate on the bridge PU, put one on post haste...

5. 8trackmind

8trackmind Tele-Holic

I've never had a plastic bobbin strat pickup die...I have had a fender custom shop pickup croak on me. Just saying.

6. monkeybanana

monkeybanana Tele-Meister

How did the pickup die? Man that’s disappointing.

7. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Here are some Tex Mex pickups without the shiny plastic bases like I was talking about in an earlier post. I believe these are Custom Shop JV Tex Mex. I was trying to sell them with the Clapton boost a while back. EDIT: Whoops...These Are Texas Specials
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
    Johnny_B likes this.
  8. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

Another big thumbs up for the tone from Strat Tex-Mex pickups. I was surprised by how great they sound in one of my Strats.

I have no experience with the Tele version of Tex-Mex, but have the impression that the Strat version gets a lot more respect for tone.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2019
    Johnny_B likes this.
  9. Vibrolux59

Vibrolux59 Tele-Meister

Great pickups, my favorite thing IS the plastic bobbins and being able to adjust the magnet height. Jimmy Vaughn plays them (mostly bridge) and gets great tone.

DHart and Johnny_B like this.
  10. dhuber

dhuber Tele-Meister

I own and have tried lots of single coil pickups. This includes about every pickup Fender has made. My favorite all around pickup to this day are the a5 plain jane american standard pickups with plastic bobbins and vinyl coated wire. Cloth wire and paper bobbins make no since to me except they look vintage. No one can see under your pick guard unless it's clear. Stripping and prepping vinyl wire is easier than cloth wire. You can also set you magnet height with plastic bobbins. If the electric guitar had been invented in the 70's there'd be no such thing as paper bobbins.

Johnny_B likes this.
  11. 8trackmind

8trackmind Tele-Holic

No idea, switched to the neck pickup of a 2009 custom shop strat at a gig and it was dead. Metered it out. No continuity. That guitar gets no better or worse treatment than my other guitars, so it's a mystery. I can only attribute it to authentic "vintage construction". The experts would have to weigh in on that though.

12. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Hmm... mine were retail package and looked like those - no shiny plastic bottom plate. Maybe it varies year to year. Mine had markings on the bottom to indicate position and dc resistance, as I recall.

schmee likes this.
  13. schmee

Yeah, there seem to be two types, the ones shown have cloth covered wires also, some are plastic.

14. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

@schmee just checked the pics I took before installing. The markings look like some kind of manufacturing run number or perhaps a QA marking of some type - hand written in white sharpie. No base plate, plastic bobbins and plastic wires.

15. Vibrolux59

Vibrolux59 Tele-Meister

There is nothing easier than push back cloth wire.

16. joey pinter

joey pinter TDPRI Member

17. joey pinter

joey pinter TDPRI Member

what else should they be covered with? i bought a mid 80's Strat from a hock shop in Santa Monica about 10 years ago. it needed some work and i wasn't sure i would like it so i bought those Tex-Mex PuP's mostly because they were the least expensive then i rewired it, changed the pots/caps and did the trick where i can have a tone adjustment on the bridge P/U so when i put the switch to the middle/bridge then roll off the tone this thing howls like a beast in heat or pain which is like the same thing anyway. methinks you made a good choice.

Johnny_B likes this.
  18. sjtalon

sjtalon Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Those are most likely:
    Custom Shop Hand-Wound JLV Strat® used in Jimmie Vaughan Stratocaster (CS)

There is only one Tex Mex (strat), not differcant "versions".

19. schmee

I think I screwed up in that post. Those are Texas Specials!

Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
  20. Tuxedo Poly

Tuxedo Poly Tele-Afflicted

Telecaster Tex Mex pickups. Original spec.
    Bridge
    Part Number: 0050893000*
    Description: This pickup was specially designed to add power and punch to the Tele bridge sound. The tone is powerfully raw and full, with a smooth edge at the top end. The pickup is designed to compete with a full size humbucker for output and attack.
    Wire: #42 Polysol
    Turns: 10,000
    Bobbin: Plastic
    Magnet: Alnico 5 flush poles
    DC Resistance: 8.0k Ohms
    Inductance: 4.2 Henries

Neck
    Part Number: 0053112000*
    Description: This pickup was specially designed for a sweeter response. The tone is open for a rich full sound. The tonal blend being similar to that of pickups more closely associated with the Strat sound. This unique pickup is a California design, and another in a series of pickups made in Fenders Ensenada pickup shop.
    Wire: #42 Polysol
    Turns: 8000
    Bobbin: Plastic
    Magnet: Alnico 5
    DC Resistance: 6.0k Ohms (now 5.8k Ohms)
    Chrome plated brass cover

*Set p/n 0992263000

Last edited: Oct 14, 2019
    Johnny_B likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.