Plastic Tex Mex Pickups

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Johnny_B, Oct 9, 2019.

1. monkeybanana

monkeybanana Tele-Meister

I heard or read in an interview Guthrie Trapp's favorite Tele has Mexican pickups in it. All in the hands, man! I say that but I have expensive toys...

Chicago Matt and Butch Snyder like this.
  2. Strato50

Strato50 Tele-Afflicted

I had Tex Mex in my Tele here

SecretSquirrel, CFFF and Johnny_B like this.
  3. jrblue

jrblue Tele-Afflicted

Sure, it's cheaper crap. That's why they use it. But from a functional standpoint, I doubt if it makes a difference, and in fact is probably more reliable when building than the older materials. Bakelite, for ex., is vintage correct for some great guitars, but it is a crap material as well. If you need the texture and look of an older material, fine, but it's not really a necessity. Of course, there are numerous boutique winders who will tell you that only fiber formed under the gravitational pull of the full moon at high tide will give you the air? snap? harmonics? fundamentals? mojo? double mojo? of "the originals," so there's that. Mass produced pickups are, really, almost nothing at all in terms of the process of making. They're like motors for toys. If the design is functional, that's really all there is to it. Made by robots.

Johnny_B likes this.
  4. Butch Snyder

Butch Snyder Tele-Afflicted

He says that in his Premier Guitar Rig Rundown. I’m surprised that didn’t get guys running out finding all the Mexican Tele pickups.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

I don't care if they're made from recycled running shoes ... As long as they sound good. ...

Chicago Matt likes this.
  6. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

my only strat..i love the tex mex.. Vstrat.jpg

7. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

FWIW you can adjust the height of the alnico magnets when the bobbins are made of plastic since the pickup windings are not touching the magnets.
    Some of the USA Fender pickups also use plastic bobbins.

DHart likes this.
  8. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

On the list of things that don't matter, except to magazine 'reviewers' and some forum denizens:

-plastic bobbins
    -multi-piece bodies
    -laminated (!plywood!) bodies
    -ceramic magnets
    -vinyl wiring
    -thick poly finishes
    -magical wood species from fragile ecosystems
    -pot metal
    -scratches or "relic work"

Take a deep breath, and as Ron Kirn might say "Play yer Guitar".

9. rigatele

rigatele Tele-Afflicted

you forgot capacitors

10. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Tele-Afflicted

Good correction, I should have said all pickups have a non-metallic base, with or without the additional metal plate. Gotta have a dielectric material there somewhere.

11. CFFF

CFFF Tele-Holic

I can understand that the OP might be disappointed after experimenting with cheap Chinese plastic bobbin pickups and then the plus expensive Fender pickups arrive and look similar. Maybe they will sound similar too.

12. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Tele-Afflicted

The Fender Tex-Mex pickups are cheaper than the vintage CS type pickups, by quite a bit. Not expensive.
    Al

13. YoGeorge

YoGeorge Tele-Afflicted

I would just note that the bobbin material in Gibson PAF humbuckers is, and has always been, plastic. Vintage PAF's are selling for $3000 each...

rangercaster, DougM and Bootstrap like this.
  14. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Yep - I love mine and agree they are better than Texas Specials. Texas Specials do what they do well, but there more complexity to the tone of the Tex Mex pickups to my ear. I do recall being surprised about the plastic bobbins, but not concerned about it at all. Tex Mex and the SD Alnico II pros are my two favorite strat single coils in the neck and middle positions.

DHart likes this.
  15. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

I much prefer the Tex-Mex pickups which also come in the Jimmy Vaughan Strat to Texas Specials. They get the slightly overwound sound a bit more real IMO. Nicely potted, too. Another advantage to plastic bobbins.

WRHB, Gretsch Filtertrons, other pickups that are plastic bobbin.

16. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

Most Fender pickups DO NOT have fiber bobbins, including many well loved pickups, such as the original Am Std ones, the V-Mod pickups on the Am Pro series, the Yosemite pickups on the Am Performer series, the Player Series and previous Mexican Standard series pickups, the universally loved Tonerider sourced pickups on Chines Squier CV models, and many more. The CS, and some other expensive Fender after market pickups have fiber bobbins, but the majority of production pickups have plastic bobbins. Plastic bobbins and Teflon hook up wire have no effect on the sound compared to fiber bobbins and cloth covered hookup wire. It's just more cork sniffery with absolutely no basis in fact.

rigatele likes this.
  17. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

The TM Strat set is versatile and sounds great. They’re sensitive to height and take a while to dial in. I just bought my third set.

DHart likes this.
  18. 39martind18

39martind18 Tele-Meister

Oh hell (o), just give me a set of mini humbuckers!

CFFF likes this.
  19. sjtalon

sjtalon Doctor of Teleocity

Put them in a alder body, you won't know the difference, not to mention, the vinyl wire setback.

Sorry to pour salt in the wound.

20. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Tele-Afflicted

I was actually referring to the vintage type models, which usually carry the CS label, that are named by year (57/62, etc.). Those are the ones I am most acquainted with. They generally have vintage construction, including the fiber bobbins. I have never had any of the modern ones that you have mentioned (Yosemite, Am. Std., etc). I have had experience with the Tex-Mex and Texas Specials.
    Al

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.