Plastic machine head buttons…

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Jakedog, Sep 12, 2021.

1. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

I looked pretty hard at that one too. I can’t abide 7.25 necks, or little frets, but I played a couple of these silver Sky guitars and didn’t even notice. I didn’t know they were 7.25 when I tried them out. I didn’t find out til I started reading about them. And I had to start reading about them, because I tried a couple out and couldn’t figure where all the drama was coming from, cause they’re amazing. Then I read some threads here and figured out pretty quickly that the drama has nothing to do with the guitars really. Just a bunch of silly ultra-traditionalists and people who hate John Mayer.

I think I’ve always thought I can’t abide 7.25 guitars, because nobody builds them correctly.

7.25 radius on the silver sky, with very low action, and you can pop off two step bends anywhere on the neck without choking or fretting out. No lie.

That’s the way the frets should be finished on every guitar in the world over $500.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2021
    RobRiggs and EZMFE like this.
  2. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Afflicted

The finish should be mixed with the tears of orphaned Unicorns.

Maybe that's a little too far.

RobRiggs and Jakedog like this.
  3. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

Leave it to you to get carried away. :lol:

unixfish and G.Rotten like this.
  4. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Friend of Leo's

It makes sense to me that PRS fans would object to plastic buttons, the way vintage guitar fans would object to that bevel in the cutaway, or the pointy headstock.

5. rxtech

rxtech Tele-Holic

6. rxtech

rxtech Tele-Holic

Apparently I don’t know how to insert a quote so this was a response to Jakedog in regards to a guitar over $500 having good frets. I agree!

Jakedog likes this.
  7. sloppychops

sloppychops Tele-Holic

StewMac Golden Age tuners. How can you not think these look great?
    DECO-AOUSTIC-14th-HS-1.jpg

Jakedog likes this.
  8. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

My first thought? The PRS headstock is so “unique” it doesn’t matter what style of buttons you choose. Seriously, who cares?
    I had a PRS McCarty from the 90’s. Plastic tulip machine heads. The guitar played perfectly. PRS makes good stuff. I just prefer single coils.

SparkleFart and Jakedog like this.
  9. bendercaster

bendercaster Tele-Afflicted

I kind of like the way plastic tuner buttons look (but then again, I also have a Gibson with robot tuners that I like, which I know impeaches my judgement).

I did have a bass player once drop his bass when he was bending over to grab a beer during a gig, and one of the plastic buttons snapped right off the tuning peg. He just had to make due with the other three strings for the rest of the gig. I carry pliers with me in the gig bag now just in case. So I guess my point is, if you buy a $2500 guitar with plastic tuner buttons, make sure you save some room in your budget for pliers.

NoTeleBob and Jakedog like this.
  10. NoTeleBob

NoTeleBob Tele-Afflicted

I have some vintage chrome tulips... I have to say though that the plastic button fake Klusons are less sloppy than the tulips. I have a feeling the tulips will outlast them by many decades, but they have more slop when changing directions.

Do they have the mold ridge on them? Because if they're not purely made, they aren't really vintage!

I always have that fear with the plastic ones. Oddly, they seem to last. No idea why.

11. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I don't think that plastic is the kiss of death, on a tuning machine. It is IMO the whole package. Nice plastics with a solid appearance and good feel to the touch, can be fine and IMO make far better sense than for example, 18K gold plating.

I don't actually think those buttons make the difference at all. I just don't gel with that guitar - but that's me.

Jakedog likes this.
  12. black_doug

black_doug Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

What I know is that the guitar is pretty popular here.

I saw them at the store where I bought my new Thinline Tele in July. Over forty a month are going out the door!

Peegoo and Jakedog like this.
  13. lowatter

lowatter Tele-Holic

These do look nice but aren't they installed incorrectly? The knob shaft tuning gear should be above the string post. That way the string tension applies pressure to the knob shaft gear.
    I may however be deceived by the angle of the pic.

14. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The tuners on my '90 Custom are all metal.

IMG_1081.jpeg

SparkleFart and Jakedog like this.
  15. SparkleFart

SparkleFart Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Well dang -- I stand corrected.

After your post, I went back & looked harder. All this time the flat black & the texture made me think the locking rings were plastic. My bad!

Jakedog and Frodebro like this.
  16. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

beautiful.......

[​IMG]

17. sloppychops

sloppychops Tele-Holic

I looked at my own Decophonic and see what you're talking about. You're right! I wonder if it was the angle of the photo, although it doesn't look like it was such an extreme angle that it would have made it look this way.

18. loopfinding

loopfinding Friend of Leo's

Because people think products are the sum of the value of the parts used - regardless of guitars, amps, pedals, synths, whatever - and not the cost of skilled labor/peripheral costs in building it. It’s like a 6th grade understanding of economics. No harm/no foul in questioning the minimum of what is needed to build a good strat...but, uh, the tuning peg material is irrelevant, chief.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2021
    Jakedog and Frodebro like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.