Plans for building a cab?

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by Ira7, Aug 24, 2016.

1. Ira7

Ira7 Doctor of Teleocity

(Did I post this in the right place?)

I want to build a 2-by cab for my AC4C1-12, because I've read some amazing reviews on how these itty bitty 4 watts can push two 12s, albeit clean. I'm debating whether to use 12s or 10s, because I already have a standard Fender 10 that I pulled from another amp, and figure I can find a good deal on another cheap, used, lower quality 10. Eventually I would upgrade both speakers, but for now, the keywords are cheap, learning, and building fun.

The Vox is 16ohm, and I've been told I can therefore run two 8ohm in series. Makes sense?

Now, the AC4C1 is a hair over 8" deep, and I'm guessing that 8" is a standard shelf width that I can find at HD or Lowes. I would make the cab the same width and depth as the amp, at whatever height to accommodate the two speakers top and bottom. (Not a side by side.)

Are there any simple plans anywhere out there that I can modify with the new dimensions? I just don't know how these things are put together, but I do know that dovetails are out of the question. I'm as spastic with real woodworking tools as I am with a soldering iron.

I want an open back, and will actually attempt matching Tolex. (My Vox is tan.) The brown grill is easy enough to match, and I'll worry about the gold hatching detail when I get to it.

2. David_Maas

David_Maas Tele-Meister

You might find this link useful:

It uses box joints in stead of dovetails, which are more than adequate for the job.

He also does a really nice video on covering it with tolex.

GunsOfBrixton likes this.
  3. Ira7

Ira7 Doctor of Teleocity

Thanks!!!

I'm all over this!

EDIT:

Too complicated.

4. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Friend of Leo's

I've built cabs out of plywood and it worked great. Use a good plywood though. And simple rabbet joints are just fine to create adequate surface area for glue up. Also you can cut triangle shaped cleats to reinforce the corner joints if you aren't too confident in them. Good joints can be made on a cheap table saw.

Also, if you like bottom end I'd think about making your cab a little deeper than you think it should be. It makes a difference. But don't lose sight of the fact that you are basically making a box. Don't overcomplicate it and I'm sure you will be happy with the results. All sorts of plans and helpful advice to be found at the Google place.

Also Weldwood cement on both the tolex and the wood make a good tight bond. I think I've heard other people use wood glue. Can't speak to that.

And spend some time reading about speaker baffles. How they are mounted and their thickness are not arbitrary, so understand the reasoning behind what you do there.

Just break it down into manageable phases. Phase one, rough out the pieces (Home Depot can be tricked into doing that for you). Phase 2, cutting the corner joints, Phase 3, glue up and clamping. Etc. Its a fun DIY project and I'm sure that if you are careful and smart you will be happy with whatever results you get.

5. Moldy Oldy

Moldy Oldy Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Here's plans for a nice 1x12 cab. No reason you couldn't redimension for two 10's or 12's.

www.ax84.com/corecabinets.html

If you're doing an open back, the dimensions aren't that critical and you won't be messing with baffles. It certainly cool to do box joints like the video above, but not necessary. I did one with biscuits which worked out nicely. For even simpler and strong, I would glue it together and then after it's dry drill for some dowels. Since you're planning to cover it anyway, it doesn't matter that the dowels show.

Regarding your 16 ohm question, yes. Two 8-ohm speakers wired in series will give you 16 ohms. Don't mess up and wire them in parallel however, as that will give you 4 ohms and tube amps don't like that kind of mismatch.

The bad news is that I don't think 8" boards will get you the depth you want, so you'll probably have to find 10" boards or add a facia of some sort. Vintage Fender cabs are made from pine with a plywood baffle, and I think Vox cabs are the same.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.