1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Planning new partscaster. Comments welcome

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by etype, Jun 19, 2019.

1. etype

etype Tele-Afflicted

I am someone who needs a creative outlet. I often play fingerstyle (and choose the neck pickup when I do and play it clean). So this would be a pretty niche guitar, but one I'd play a lot.

Warmoth Jazzmaster body and 24.75" scale length neck (9.5" radius) made out of roasted maple. Because I just tend to be more comfortable with the 24.75" scale.

Bigsby (because I don't have any guitar with vibrato) and single neck pickup (Mojo UK gold foil or Lollar). I have tried JM trems and Bigsbys at GC and prefer the Bigsby feel. Warmoth body is routed for JM, but there is a Vibromate adapter.

Floating bridge (Tru-Arc Serpentune on a floating base -- their stud bases are set up for TOM spacing). After reading tons about Mustang bridges, Mastery's, hard to find Staytrems, the Tru-Arc may be the winner.

I generally hate the idea of reliced guitars, but I bought a beat up 1980 Les Paul Firebrand and love it. I'd ideally lightly sandblast the body and then stain it medium brown (or Wudtone dark amber). I don't want to relic it, but I'd like it to look like time-worn without overt aging.

Tone and bass-contour and maybe a Jazzmaster tone shift circuit (so I can use 500k pots).

Any suggestions?

nojazzhere likes this.
  2. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

My only suggestion is if you haven't tried playing with fingers on a Bigsby fitted similar guitar I would try first before committing to fitting the Bigsby.
    I mostly play fingers only and prefer to stick with vintage tele bridges because i'm used to them and find them to be the most comfortable. Other bridges work ok too but would take some getting used to before feeling as comfortable as what you are used to.

3. etype

etype Tele-Afflicted

Thanks for comment. I usually play with my pinkie as an anchor (but for flat picking I lightly rest my palm on the bridge). I do have the Les Paul, and the TOM bridge is fine too. What is it about the Bigsby that you don't like and would any trem system change that?

I usually find that it can take me many hours to get comfortable with something new, and I don't feel like spending several hours per week at the local GC. Yes, this is an expensive way to experiment, but it also will help me scratch that creative itch.

4. etype

etype Tele-Afflicted

Oops, I meant to put this in the Home Depot forum. Sorry if this is the wrong place!

5. chas.wahl

chas.wahl Tele-Meister

If you're assembling a guitar from parts, as opposed to starting with raw materials to build body and neck, then I think you're in the correct subforum. Tremolos I know nothing about.

etype likes this.
  6. CalebAaron666

CalebAaron666 Tele-Holic

I have 5 electric guitars and 4 of them have bigsby’s (my strat would look funny if I put one on there, but I’ve often considered it!)
    My tele partscaster has a b5 ad I love it, but if you use a b5 tele kit beware the jazzmaster/jaguar bridge. It kinda stinks. I use a american pro mustang bridge instead. It’s plays and sounds way better.

etype likes this.
  7. etype

etype Tele-Afflicted

The one complaint I hear about the Mustang bridge is uses the vintage Fender string spacing of 2-3/16" which puts the strings too close to the edge of the fretboard. Sounds like you have no issue with it. Hard to believe if it was a big deal Fender wouldn't have fixed it in the first 50 years they were selling them.

8. CalebAaron666

CalebAaron666 Tele-Holic

They seem no closer to the edge than with the other bridge. The mustang bridge I have it a newer one. It’s radiused for 9.5 as opposed to most stang bridges which are 7.25.
    I bend and pull strings all over the place with no issues.
    It’s the guitar in my avatar pic.

etype likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.