Planning a Tele-Build:

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by supersoldier71, May 29, 2010.

1. supersoldier71

supersoldier71 Tele-Holic

So I've got two more months in Iraq, and I've developed an OCD regarding building a tele.

Specs (all tentative, since I'm 2+ months and 10,000 miles from home :cry: )

1. Swamp Ash Warmoth tele body, tele bridge, SC midddle and a HB neck
    2. One Piece Maple neck, with 70's big headstock (maybe I feel the need to overcompensate?) with stainless steel frets.
    3. 1 Vol, 1 Tone, 5 way switching

Questions:
    1. Do I need to seal either the body or neck or both before applying Tung oil?
    2. Warmoth offers either a Strat, or a Tele shaped neck pocket: I'm leaning towards Strat because there are more aftermarket options should I dislike my planned neck; are there pros and cons to either?
    3. The goal behind the three pup config is the Tele bite in the bridge, "in-between" Strat tones in positions 2&4, and the warmth of my Les Paul, but maybe a little brighter with the ash body, in the neck; am I thinking correctly, or off base?
    4. Will a 5 way switch fit, or be made to fit in the Tele control plate?
    5. Is all of this too much for a first time builder: should I go buy a Highway 1 and have a tech customize it?

Any other advise is appreciated, both for the technical expertise,and the morale boost! :D

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.