Planning a Tele-Build:

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by supersoldier71, May 29, 2010.

1. supersoldier71

supersoldier71 Tele-Holic

So I've got two more months in Iraq, and I've developed an OCD regarding building a tele.

Specs (all tentative, since I'm 2+ months and 10,000 miles from home :cry: )

1. Swamp Ash Warmoth tele body, tele bridge, SC midddle and a HB neck
    2. One Piece Maple neck, with 70's big headstock (maybe I feel the need to overcompensate?) with stainless steel frets.
    3. 1 Vol, 1 Tone, 5 way switching

Questions:
    1. Do I need to seal either the body or neck or both before applying Tung oil?
    2. Warmoth offers either a Strat, or a Tele shaped neck pocket: I'm leaning towards Strat because there are more aftermarket options should I dislike my planned neck; are there pros and cons to either?
    3. The goal behind the three pup config is the Tele bite in the bridge, "in-between" Strat tones in positions 2&4, and the warmth of my Les Paul, but maybe a little brighter with the ash body, in the neck; am I thinking correctly, or off base?
    4. Will a 5 way switch fit, or be made to fit in the Tele control plate?
    5. Is all of this too much for a first time builder: should I go buy a Highway 1 and have a tech customize it?

Any other advise is appreciated, both for the technical expertise,and the morale boost! :D

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.