Planning a customized Tele, need opinions

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Mattdcmartell, Mar 15, 2019.

1. Mattdcmartell

Mattdcmartell NEW MEMBER!

Part of this build is resource availability, part of this build is as a first time attempt, and part of this build is because I’m curious and there’d be a lot of learning points.

The just of it, I have two 18”x14”x1” oak slabs I’m planning on gluing together to build a cross between a Thinline and a smuggler’s tele.

The plan, an American Standard base with a minimally but classy pick guard adjustment, F-Hole & 35mm cavity on the hump side and the smuggler’s weight relief beneath the pickguard.

My own theory is what I would like to challenge here before I make any moves. The oak is such a heavy material and would cause a chimey sound. Solution is to get the resonance increase from the f-hole to fill the sound in a little bit more and have the smugglers cutout for added weight relief.

Trying to get a bit of body to the sound without compromising thus the smaller smugglers cavity replacing the below-bridge and control cavity cutouts in the Thinline.

Now, my other question, in making this...it will already be a 2 slab guitar, so I’m trying to figure out the layering situation. The Thinline has a cap. That would be an extra layer thus extra glue for my two slab body. I’d also have to Locate more wood.

My possible solution is to instead either have a lighter cap on the rear and have the F holes thru the front of the body. Similar would be the same but with a metal backplate or something else to cover the cavity thus making it a single two-piece slab with no cap.

I’m terrible with explanations and I’ll try to get images up ASAP, but what does everyone think? I’m interested n both learning and making a rather. Desirable tele from oak.

2. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

"My own theory is what I would like to challenge here before I make any moves. The oak is such a heavy material and would cause a chimey sound. Solution is to get the resonance increase from the f-hole to fill the sound in a little bit more and have the smugglers cutout for added weight relief.

"Trying to get a bit of body to the sound without compromising thus the smaller smugglers cavity replacing the below-bridge and control cavity cutouts in the Thinline."

Nobody has any real clue about any of this as it relates to solid bodied guitars. It's all just anecdote. You can't say that heavy wood will lead to a certain sort of tone. Nobody will know what the thing will sound like until it is done.

Phrases like "fill the sound in a bit more," "a bit of body to the sound," "such a heavy material...would cause a chimney sound" really don't have any weight, pun intended. They're just nebulous, subjective terms, with theorized/imagined but unproven causes.

So, I would say to quit imagining, and just build and find out.

Now, this doesn't mean that weight is not a consideration, for reasons of both comfort and balance. I certainly would not want a 9 or 10 pound Tele around my neck, or even on my lap. A great way I have discovered to "cheat" a reduced weight is to use a thinner body blank. Shave 1/4" off the back side of the blank, and you've taken off over 1/6 of the weight of the body, and made it a significantly more ergonomic thickness, without noticeably changing the look of the guitar at all. It could save you from having to bother with the smuggler's routs. You could go even thinner than 1-1/2", if you are careful with your top routing. SGs are thinner than that, IIRC, and they don't feel abnormally thin IMO.

eallen likes this.
  3. LuckyJinx

LuckyJinx TDPRI Member

My initial thought when I read chambered body from two slabs was a clamshell body, no caps. Probably using the classic metal plate for the controls, or a control cover in the back if you want a cleaner top.

eallen likes this.
  4. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

You can route out both halves. Once you have your cavities template, just use it on one side of the body, then flip it over to route the other slab. You can drill index holes through both slabs together so everything lines up when you flip the template.

eallen likes this.
  5. eallen

eallen Tele-Afflicted

Some good advice from the others! That is especially true on Esquires thoughts on sound. Don't overthink it. Do what you want to get the weight hanging around your neck what you want and build it.

Either route and clam shell it or plane it down and cap it with something else. More important than anything though, post pics.

Eric

6. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Welcome to the forum Matt.. put the beer in the fridge and plug in..

The number one mistake guys mane as they enter this hobby is making their first far too complex... trying to make their first their "dream" guitar..

as you climb the learning curve, there will be inevitable "pot holes" the resulting corrections will haunt you for the life of the guitar despite how well ya correct them... so keep it simple... concentrate on learning.... your second will be getter and by time ya begin your 3rd, you will be ready for that "dream".

and forget all the Bull you read about everything.... there is no anything that will guarantee one guitar's superiority over another, other than patience and attention to the little things... just use common sense and have fun.

Here's some "stuff I wrote years ago... still applicable.. I hope it helps.

Ron

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/tele-technical/201556-fret-leveling-yer-tele-101-a.html

http://jpbturbo.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Tele_template-illustrated-reader-spreads.pdf

http://jpbturbo.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Tele-reader-spreads.pdf

http://jpbturbo.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Setup-reader-spreads.pdf

http://jpbturbo.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Strat-reader-spreads.pdf

http://jpbturbo.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Strat_template-illustrated-reader-spreads.pdf

http://jpbturbo.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Nitro-New-reader-spreads.pdf

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/stratocaster-discussion-forum/104487-ok-so-i-promised-here-ya.html

eallen and Old Deaf Roadie like this.
  7. RiversQC

RiversQC TDPRI Member

Great advice above. I have been thinking through a similar build with similar dimensions of roasted ash. Chambered clamshell construction, I guess.

My model so far has been the rosewood guitars with a thin maple strip down the middle. Some good photos here (do not buy. Stay focused! Lol)
    https://reverb.com/ca/shop/guitarbuild
    Nice look with shallow contour carves, etc.

So working with two equal sized pieces of oak, maybe you can chamber each like Jupiter suggests and put em together - possibly with a darker accent strip? Good luck.

8. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Silver Supporter

Make or buy yourself a thinline template set and rout both sides of the top and bottom sections. You'll want to keep a center section to mount the bridge and pickup. Most thinlines are 1/4" thick on the top and back. I usually do a 1" thick wall, but it could be thinner. I just want ample wood where the grain is short.

Your glue line can be in the middle like the rosewood bodies. If you have woodworking tools, this is just really basic woodworking with some router work. Dowel alignment pins will be really helpful to mate the two parts. Plans for the body are in here and are called Thinlines PDF. I'd probably rout the inside first then clue it up, then rout the neck, pickups, and F hole, then cut it out.

https://www.gitarrebassbau.de/viewtopic.php?t=6

As an example..no affiliation:

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338148343&icep_item=273444227048

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
    eallen likes this.
  9. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Tele-Afflicted

First Matt, welcome to the forum and to guitar building. I'll add my two cents. You will have lots of challenges on your first build so don't get too carried away by making it too complicated. Chambering a guitar is a very worthwhile thing to do and may have a very slight affect on the sound but its really hard to predict what that affect will be. If you are interested in pursuing it, here is a build thread for a chambered Les Paul style guitar - at the end of the discussion are some clips where I compare it to a similar guitar without the chambering. The important thing about the comparison is that both guitars have the same pups, electronics, amplifier, player, pick, strings, wood, shape size, yadda yadda.

http://www.tdpri.com/threads/a-chambered-lpish-looking-thing.874641/

The significant thing about that guitar is that it is 1 and a half pounds lighter than the solid one. For a les paul player that is significant.

The other thing I will put forward is a recent build of a completely chambered tele - pretty much a thin line without the f-hole

http://www.tdpri.com/threads/a-chambered-tele-ish-sort-of-thing.884657/

Weighing the body blank before and after chambering shows that it has lost two pounds - again, that is significant. I can't make any comparisons with a non chambered guitar because I don't have one that meets the specs. I'll also add that I think the f-hole(s) on a thin line is mostly there for looks. You can calculate the body cavity resonance (its call the Helmholtz resonance) based on the area of the hole(s) - just let me say I don't think it matters (I mostly build true acoustic guitars and I'm very aware of how the top and air cavity couple to each other - but on a guitar like this the affect is overwhelmed by your choice of pickups.

Not to say don't do it - just don't expect it to make a difference. Also remember that f-holes have a tendency to make a guitar more prone to feedback at high volumes, one of the reasons BB's Lucille's don't have them.

Good luck with your build, post pictures as you go along.

10. Mattdcmartell

Mattdcmartell NEW MEMBER!

Thank you everyone greatly for the replies, suggestions and kindness, and for welcoming me!

I’ll take into consideration the importance of experience and learning versus diving right into something well above my head. Very well said, Esquire.

Rivers, I too had the same interest with Lennon’s rosewood tele. The first image in my head of what I wanted had either two sandwiched pieces (a Big Mac?) or just a decorative two-line binding in the center, or just separating the two pieces.

I’ll continue on Freemen’s note. My other idea would’ve been clamshell, I’ve had the idea but didn’t know the proper name, but I feel like that’s basically what I was thinking on the thought of the f-hole and a larger back metal plate because my mind wanted the chambering to be cut flush between the two as if it were done at once. Doesn’t matter what the inside of a dark hole looks like though, does it?

Lots of things to consider but lots of time to make a decision. Grateful for the replies to dull out some of my ignorance/getting too excited.

What I may do is look out for some thinner pieces for the sandwich idea, but in the meantime decide on the clamshell idea or just taking out the f cavity all together and seek weight loss via other wood or smugglers routing. Because now that I think of it, these pieces would be nice for an SG which I always thought should be heavier than they are. My mind at the moment is focused on a tele and I feel there’s no better style to learn on. The base of a telecaster is such a simple design that you have so much to work with.

11. rigatele

rigatele Tele-Afflicted

The importance of which is overestimated... at the end of the day it will sound like an electric guitar, and your sound quality as it is perceived by other people is mostly linked with player comfort and fretboard precision.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.