1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Planning 5E3 build

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by Plan9, Apr 2, 2016.

1. jmmack

jmmack TDPRI Member

I did a boothill last week or so and was very happy with Dave's service. Tranny's came directly from classic tone (best price/reputation ratio I could find) and I made sure to grab the output tranny with 4/8/16 ohm taps. The amp sounds fantastic un modded but I will be adding a switchable (on or off) master volume for the sake of playing at home. I believe you referred to this particular mod from robrob's site. I totally recommend it and it would make sense to just do it while you're already there. I love the range of saturation allowed by the volume controls but in terms of loudness, its essentially on or off so the master volume would be the icing on the cake so long as it's switchable so not to disrupt the ability to operate with the original circuit.

As far as the board goes, I'm with clintj and sacDAve on the turrets. My boothill came with a turret board even though its listed as an eyelet on the site. Just Think, a Turret would also make it easier to alligator clip in some of the mods you're considering without heating and reheating components. That way if you dont find them necessary, just unclip and rock on.

2. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

Built my Mission kit in 2007, great results. Used a Weber alnico Sig12. Great advice and phone support from Mission during the build. When I asked Bruce about mods, He strongly suggested I build it stock and get to know it first. Find out how I like one of the greatest amp designs of all time. Then give him a call and talk about what I would like to change. Nine years later, haven't changed a thing.

Thinking about the Robrob switchable negative feedback mod now. Keep the voicing I have now and add some variety...hrd to be against it.

Good luck - the amp is a blast to play. You'll see. :)

3. GoldDeluxe5E3

GoldDeluxe5E3 Tele-Afflicted

My needs, experience, and resources upon the start of my own 5e3 build were very similar to yours. These two videos should give you some idea of what your future holds, which, in my experience, is all good stuff:

Plan9 likes this.
  4. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

I've ordered pretty bare kits from Weber (the resistors, caps and tubes are throwaways) - basically chassis, transformers, hardware, parts and bare board. Then I use TAD or F&T filters, a mix of carbon comp (in audio path), metal film (driver, grid) and wirewound screen resistors; Mallory tone and coupling caps, and order a lightweight, 1/2" cabinet from John Mergili. String and ultralight. I could save some money ordering a chassis and other parts from single sources but getting the basic hardware and reference materials from Weber is handy (I don't really need the reference stuff, but use it as a cross-check).

Cheaper than a kit, much lighter, and customized/voiced however *I* want.

Plan9 likes this.
  5. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Poster Extraordinaire

+1

6. Plan9

Plan9 Tele-Meister

Just found John's site - I'm amazed by the design variety. I assume the lighter cab is a custom job?

Thanks for the pointer.

7. robrob

robrob Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

My 5F6A Bassman chassis sits in a John Mergili cab. He does excellent work and his prices are easy on the wallet.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.