plain pine cabinet surface finish options. What have you done?

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by JUSS10, Apr 22, 2019.

1. JUSS10

JUSS10 TDPRI Member

Finishing up a 5f1.5 build (it falls between a 5f1 and 5f2 i guess). Anyway, I built the cab from a knotty pine board as I liked the look. Just curious what you have all done for surface finish since I don't want to cover it.

A friend built a 5e3 out of pine and stained it and then finished it with polyurethane.

Not opposed to staining but I know pine can blotch some times.

I recently grabbed a can of Zinsser spray shellac for a home project and really like how its less hazardous and easier to clean up finish. They also make it in an amber to tint the wood a bit. Has anything done just straight shellac over a pine cab? I'm guessing its less durable than poly but it seems a bit simpler. I think you can even rub on shellac.

I do have a thread going on the amp build but thought starting a new thread just on finishing the cab may be useful in the future for someone looking for the same answers.

Thanks

Justin

nojazzhere likes this.
  2. ecoast

ecoast Tele-Holic

tolex or tweed

not hard; search youtube for uncle doug's tutorial if you need to learn

3. John How

John How Tele-Meister

Lately I’ve just been going to the fabric store and buying something that looks decent and looks like it would wear well...I glue it on with titebond just like I would tweed and shellac it...

sds1 likes this.
  4. John How

John How Tele-Meister

70610099-13E2-41B6-98B2-9F24D3A78E5F.jpeg

Jake Nelson, Jonzilla, tone57 and 4 others like this.
  5. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

I threw together a yellow pine cabinet to house four eight inch speakers.....and it sounds surprisingly good. I didn't want to go to the trouble of Tolex or "nice" finishing, so I simply rattle can sprayed a textured paint, then went over with a satin black spray paint. Only when you get REAL close does it not look like Tolex. I haven't taken it out on a gig yet, so don't know how "road worthy" it is.....probably not. :)

Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
    El Tele Lobo likes this.
  6. joeford

joeford Friend of Leo's

grain filler is your friend. lay on a couple coats of that first and the blotchiness won't happen. one of my favorite stains ever was a cheap white pine with golden oak poly stain. durable and easy.

7. joeford

joeford Friend of Leo's

that looks so freaking cool... I'm definitely adding that to my to do list!

8. monkeybanana

monkeybanana Tele-Meister

I did it the same way as I did over tweed. I am thinking about Tolexing though because it still dents easily. I can post pictures later when I get off work if I can find something on my phone.

Here are instructions from Marsh Amps:

http://www.marshamps.com/tweedcab

9. JUSS10

JUSS10 TDPRI Member

I guess I should have been more clear. Not interested in covering the pine with tolex or tweed. I want to see the wood. So I guess I was asking what have you done to finish a pine cab so you can see the wood grain so its a "natural" cabinet with no covering.

10. Deebs3

Deebs3 Tele-Meister

Here is mine just stained, lots of different stain choices depending on where you live. Blues Junior.
    IMG20170805161632.jpg

11. jman72

jman72 Tele-Afflicted

Danish oil on bare pine, followed by several coats of clear polyurethane. Holding up well after five years, except for the road wear from weekly practice and gigging. But that's just added character.

12. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Friend of Leo's

If I recall clearly Fender did a BJ in a burgundy stain once that looked really nice. I think what probably set it off was the high gloss (maybe even a 2 pack) clear on top. It wasn't a colour I would normally go for but that was spectacular.

FYI- your first post was clear to anyone who actually read it :)

nojazzhere and wtk0315 like this.
  13. jsnwhite619

jsnwhite619 Friend of Leo's

Boiled linseed oil. Oil based poly clear coats on top.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    [​IMG]

djh22, nojazzhere, jman72 and 4 others like this.
  14. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

Striking! I like it.

jsnwhite619 likes this.
  15. RollingBender

RollingBender Tele-Afflicted

I did a (pine) guitar once where I sandblasted the wood and then got into my wife’s chalk paints. First coat was white, then a heavy coat of Elmer’s glue followed by red while the glue was still heavy and very wet. When the glue and paint dry together, the paint cracks as it dries. Was going for an “old barn” look. The sandblasting eats away at the softer wood and makes it look weathered.
    76006347-0DCF-480E-8B1F-86CCC4022D98.jpeg

16. JUSS10

JUSS10 TDPRI Member

thanks for the replies!

That last cab and guitar look really cool!

I think I settled on just 3 coats of shellac with the first coat being cut with denatured alcohol to really soak in. I like the idea of shellac being a bit more natural of a top coat. Its also a pretty quick process.

I'll post some pictures once its done. Thats the last step for this amp.

Thanks everyone!

nojazzhere likes this.
  17. philosofriend

philosofriend Tele-Holic

The old knotty pine look, like in my den, is just orange shellac. Orange shellac contains the natural wax as opposed to the "white" or dewaxed shellac. When the pine and the orange shellac both darken with time you get that classic old house color.

JUSS10 likes this.
  18. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

This was pre-tweed application:
    [​IMG]
    I stained and applied shellac to imitate the sanding sealer used on tweed amps. It actually stained pretty evenly....

And, although my Grandfather loved this color for furniture he was building, I've never cared for it as a final look for anything! LOL

This is just amber shellac on knotty pine.
    [​IMG]

I AM a huge fan of shellac on Pine. I prefer amber, or a mix... Rarely do I leave just blond shellac alone on pine. I like the warmth of a darker shellac. However, i do also use blond shellac as a sanding sealer, or even as a sealer before adding darker shellac to help keep the color more even.

I am not a huge fan of staining pine. I've done it for years, but I always ***** to myself about the sap lines and splotchiness. I'd always prefer to stain harder woods without the heavy sap lines that reject stain.

Here's poplar with stain and I believe some polyurethane:
    [​IMG]

You can see the color is very even and really enhances the look of the wood and cabinet.

RLee77 and djh22 like this.
  19. JUSS10

JUSS10 TDPRI Member

Thats awesome! Love the pinecaster. Makes me feel good about my choice to try shellac on the amp.

20. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

If you are leaving it in your house fine, do any finish you like. Otherwise, it's gonna look like hell after moving it around much.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.