Plain Janes

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Guitar MD, Feb 15, 2020.

1. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

I'll knock it, if nobody minds.
    Relic'ing is stupid and unnecessarily destructive.
    It's conspicuous consumption at best, and mental illness at the worst.

Oh, and that business of rock stars (Pete Townsend and Paul Stanley) destroying guitars at the end of their sets?
    That always pi$$$ed me off as well.

There.
    I said it.

:(:eek:

Jlwctn, bls82261, Sneaks and 3 others like this.
  2. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

My number one for many years is as plain as they can get.

Some serious work with Naptha lifted a lot of ingrained sweat and grime and other gig contributions from the body.

49505336-AE17-4F12-A68A-B6D53E79F116.png

3. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

I’m not materialistic, and Ive long replaced the attitude of owning things with gratitude, but I’m a very visual person, and if I like what I see, it gives me visual satisfaction at the same time as satisfaction of owning a beautiful thing.

i guess to me, I like my guitars to look beautiful but also nothing fancy. The telecaster on its own is already beautiful, and I think, to dress it up a bit can elevate it to an even more elegant look, thats why Ive found that a double bound 62 is classiest, most elegant looking telecaster ever.

don’t get me wrong, I also love plain janes, in my eyes, a white telecaster, chrome parts, maple neck is just as beautiful the way it was originally conceived by Leo and I can look at it the way I look at my ‘62s, but there’s just something those bindings and rosewood board do visually that adds to the look of a telecaster.

Thats my limit, if you make it any fancier than that, it tends to be a distraction and I wont play it. Fancier in terms of, putting more inlays, maybe some decorative markings on the body (hint: pretty much what FCS Masterbuilder Yuri Shishkov does), to me its not a guitar anymore but a furniture, a display thing never to be played.

Also, the guitar has to be aesthetically pleasing for me, if I dont like the color, the pickup configuration, the shape, it just wont do it for me no matter how hard I try to look for the positives (good tone, good playability, feel, etc). Its just the way I’m built and the way I think and the way I see things. I know that most go for the feel, tone, and lastly looks, but to me, there’s plenty of guitars that will have the feel and tone so why not try to find a good looking one as well, since I’m spending my money.

4. Steerforth

Steerforth Tele-Afflicted

Guitars should look like they’re military-issue gear. You can’t play flashy decoration. It just costs more for no functional effect.

El Tele Lobo and telemnemonics like this.
  5. Guitar MD

Guitar MD Tele-Meister

[​IMG]

Military-issue? This one can even play reveille!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6. Steerforth

Steerforth Tele-Afflicted

I might make an exception for that one, LOL!

El Tele Lobo and gitold like this.
  7. Guitar MD

Guitar MD Tele-Meister

Good if you are a struggling guitar player in a small band that can afford a horn section!

8. Guitar MD

Guitar MD Tele-Meister

.....errrr that’s CAN’T afford a horn section....

9. teletail

teletail Tele-Holic

I never owned a guitar I wouldn’t take to a gig, including a custom shop Les Paul. Yea, I’m careful with it, it stays in my hands or in the case and I keep an eye on it, but I bought it to play. It just looks like a regular Les Paul from a distance.

having said that, none of my guitars are fancy. Three of my teles are butterscotch or natural and you can’t tell the custom from the fender.

I love a natural or butterscotch tele with a black pick guard. Such a classic look!

10. Churchjack

Churchjack Tele-Meister

My 000-18, probably the most plain-looking instrument I’ve ever owned. But, she sings. I’d swap pickguards, actually, but that’s crazy talk.

11. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave TDPRI Member

Totally get you.
    I was recently coveting one of the Tele Rarities. Blue flamed maple top, lots of this and that for a very healthy price.
    I'd pretty much decided to buy one until I suddenly realised that I'd be too worried about scratching it to ever gig it.
    On top of that, it was too 'nice' and just wouldn't age well with wear and tear, so I bought a sunburst instead.
    Less bling.
    More realistic, playable guitar, which will just get better over the years.

I'm slightly torn on the subject of relicing.
    I find it difficult to subscribe to pre-reliced guitar bodies ..
    It's a bit like someone buying a brand new AC/DC t-shirt which has been factory distressed to buy the owner some pretend history.

.. but I quite relicing super-bright chrome hardware sometimes, because it can look too shiny when it's fresh.
    Maybe that makes me slightly hypocritical...

12. Si G X

Si G X Tele-Holic

They still look awful though.

13. OldDude2

OldDude2 Tele-Afflicted

...don't tell my wife that I just started looking for a parlor acoustic and no sooner than I picked up a PRS SE my wife went nuts over the birds. Granted it's well made with exotic wood and laminate, but it's not one that would have found it's way home with me.

My 30 year old tak isn't special, but it comes alive. My avatar comes alive and gently caresses your soul.

The PRS stays in tune.

Dirty Dave and Si G X like this.
  14. Si G X

Si G X Tele-Holic

I think my missus would like them too .... I'm just a grumpy old 'dots' guy, I don't even like those fancy Gibson trapezoids. ;)

OldDude2 likes this.
  15. middy

middy Friend of Leo's

I’m with you. I only like gold hardware on a Les Paul Custom. Light flame only on a Les Paul, but I prefer plain tops or gold tops. Pearloid pickguards? Never!
    Fenders should never have any of the above.

16. Old Has Been

Old Has Been Tele-Meister

Pretty much plain Jane with my instruments. While I certainly appreciate a fine-looking instrument, I find that I'm more utilitarian when it comes to selecting one for personal use. Action and sound are the prime considerations. Still, I find nothing wrong with a beautiful guitar. I guess I just haven't found one that I want to own....yet.:)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Chipss36

Chipss36 Tele-Meister

Plain Jain drives me insane!
    My telly is 6.8 pounds of plain Jain and in my hands about 90% of the time.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
    Jlwctn likes this.
  18. nosuch

nosuch Friend of Leo's

19. joebloggs13

joebloggs13 Tele-Afflicted

I would rather the value of the guitar be in the type and sonic quality of the woods used than in the fancy appointments. I think that if you take 2 acoustic guitars priced at $2000, one plain Jane, and the other with fancy inlay. The plain one will have higher quality woods and would be the one I would gravitate towards. JMHO.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  20. Jay Jernigan

Jay Jernigan Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I'm an admirer of flawless execution.
    Fancy PRS, flametop Paul, cherry 335, Black guard Tele or anything else you care to mention; all equally beautiful if made right.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.