plagiarism or homage

getbent

Telefied
Gold Supporter
in songwriting and recording there are guidelines that separate the two. They still often end up in court for final determination, but when everyone started sampling and the outcome of the 'he's so fine' case set precedents that make it easier to follow.

wildschwein

Tele-Afflicted
You can't copyright a chord progression but melody and lyrics can be copyrighted. You also have free reign with song titles -- those can't be copyrighted either.

If a song has made money then it becomes a legal target for others to try and get their hands on a slice of the pie. If your song that 'borrows' from another song makes no money then no-one gives a toss.

Last edited:

Stringbanger

Telefied
Ad Free Member
One has to steal stuff, because mostly everything has been done. Most songwriting experts will tell you this.

Although there is still room for originality.

I’m working on acoustic guitar, bongos, and concertina right now. Don’t be stealing my recipe.o_Oo_O

Jim622

Friend of Leo's
One has to steal stuff, because mostly everything has been done. Most songwriting experts will tell you this.

Although there is still room for originality.

I’m working on acoustic guitar, bongos, and concertina right now. Don’t be stealing my recipe.o_Oo_O
DelCo?