1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Pixar's Soul...Anyone seen it?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by elihu, Jan 17, 2021.

1. draggindakota

draggindakota Tele-Meister

I thought it was pretty good. Kinda deep for a kids movie, but that's typical for Pixar.

I thought it was pretty cool that Trent Reznor co-wrote the score.

elihu and Skully like this.
  2. Skully

Skully Doctor of Teleocity

I really enjoyed the movie and especially liked the film's visual and aural depiction of the other side.

elihu likes this.
  3. adjason

adjason Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Yeah its a good one..

elihu likes this.
  4. John Owen

John Owen Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Me too but I enjoyed it quite a bit. Good music content and the main point of the story doesn't require accepting the existence of a 'soul'. Give it a shot.

elihu likes this.
  5. Fenderdad1950

Fenderdad1950 Tele-Afflicted

Yes, good movie:D

elihu likes this.
  6. Bryan A

Bryan A Tele-Meister

I’ll offer a differing viewpoint. I thought it was terrible and possibly the worst Disney-Pixar movie yet (I’ve seen them all).

the ending was abrupt and should’ve gone in a different direction. The basic premise of the story with the different traits of the soul is a very obvious rehash of “Inside Out”. The moral of the story...realizing you were being selfish, owning up to it, and ultimately deciding to do the right thing even if it means sacrificing yourself and everything you wanted...was an obvious rehash of “Wreck-It Ralph”. And “Soul” IMO failed miserably compared to those 2 movies.

As far dealing with “heavy” subject matter for a change...nah, Disney-Pixar very frequently deals with heavy subject matter and has done it better. “Up”, “Inside Out”, and “Toy Story 4” all dealt with “heavy” subject matter in their own way did it in superior ways.

even several of the Disney princess movies (I’ve got 2 girls, so I’ve them them all too) had better “moral” stories than this one.

the actual animation was nice, and very interesting in some parts. That was its only saving grace IMO.

that’s my take, my opinion. I’d give it a 6/10. Up and Inside Out were 8/10 IMO. Wreck It Ralph and Toy Story 4 were 9 or 10 of 10. And that says a lot when you’re 3 sequels into the franchise (Toy Story) and are still blowing the creative doors off other animated movies.

7. Flat6Driver

Flat6Driver Friend of Leo's

I've seen the trailer a few times on YouTube. I'm sure it's well done, but what is it ABOUT? Trailer gives no insight.

8. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

IMadeYouReadThis, Jakedog and Despres like this.
  9. myteleplaysjazz

myteleplaysjazz Tele-Holic

It was OK. I thought that music was going to be a more prominent part of the story.

IMadeYouReadThis likes this.
  10. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

I liked the ending because it wasn’t all neat. It doesn’t say whether Joe continues to pursue his dream of making it as a musician or giving up on it. It only says that he will appreciate each moment left, treating life as a gift. That suggests that it’s not about what happens to you, it’s more about how you deal with it. Remember the Barber who wanted to be a vet? That was the moral for me.

Jakedog likes this.
  11. Telecasterless

Telecasterless Friend of Leo's

Watched with wife and 11 year old daughter. Totally engrossed and blown away on so many levels. We all really enjoyed it supremely.

elihu likes this.
  12. BuckNekkid

BuckNekkid Tele-Meister

I watched it with my granddaughter (7 yo) and famiiy. I thought it was well done, but a bit forumulaic: Hero finds himself lost, finds a weird friend, goes through some trauma, then he helps friend get straightened out and learns a valuable lesson about life. I wish there had been more about music, but then when I saw the title, I thought it was. :cool:

13. RoyalBaby

RoyalBaby Tele-Afflicted

I saw it on Boxing Day ( that’s the day after Christmas Day for those who don’t have proper public holidays) so it’s a slightly foggy memory already but for a film about a jazz musician I would have liked a fully jazz soundtrack. Seemed to be an opportunity missed.*

The stunning animation I guess I take for granted now with Pixar, but it is stunning. I think some of the voices depend on where you are in the world, Graham Norton doing a particularly bad job for one of the characters for U.K. viewers.
    The story line/ philosophy/ metaphysical element seemed a bit of a mess. People with young children found they were bored quickly by it from what I could gather. I didn’t think that it was a particularly adult film. Maybe it’s just for 11 year olds.

I’m not a fan. It was made for the cinema but then Disney saw it as an opportunity to use it to sell Disney+ subscriptions to a world with restricted movement over the Christmas period.

* from what little I’d seen in the trailers I’d assumed it was going to be about Soul music; maybe a bit obvious but it would have been a more satisfying play on words.

14. FMDoug

FMDoug TDPRI Member

elihu likes this.
  15. stxrus

stxrus Poster Extraordinaire

I had no idea this existed until just now. I’m looking forward to it. Is it on Netflix?

16. Bryan A

Bryan A Tele-Meister

nope, Disney+

17. stxrus

stxrus Poster Extraordinaire

Damn! We can’t get Disney+ here. We were going to sign up but were greatly disappointed

18. still_fiddlin

still_fiddlin Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Not my favorite Pixar release by a few, but I still really liked it. It could have had more music for me (too), but music, per se, wasn't the point of the tale.

elihu likes this.
  19. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

I had high hopes and they were exceeded. I want to watch it again.

20. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

Hmmm. Toy Story doesn't do it for me.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.