1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Pix of Aged Clear over Blonde?

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by TelZilla, Jul 5, 2019.

1. TelZilla

TelZilla Friend of Leo's

Im finishing an ash tele body going for a butterscotch blonde color. Using rattle cans.

Ive stated with Stewmac stuff. Thrir suggestion was a transparent coat of their blond with some of their vintage amber on top.

Im not totally pleased with the results. Its coming out very yellow and a little blotchy.

So im thinking of buying some reranch stuff or maybe doing blonde with aged clear on top.

Anybody have pictures of aged clear over blonde. Maybe thst just looks like a dirty white guitar.

2. jjpish68

jjpish68 Tele-Holic

Hey @TelZilla did you end up trying the aged clear over the blonde? I just ordered some a few days ago and being delivered today. Looking to redo my 52 RI as the last owner did a really poor relic job on it...

Called StewMac before I ordered and asked about getting that Butterscotch look using this combo and he said that it would work.

3. ladave

ladave Tele-Holic

Edit: OK, so I just realized this is an old thread...oh well.

I happen to be in the process of the very same thing. I had a can of stew mac blonde as well as their vintage amber and aged clear and did some samples on a piece of would I had. Same result as you...very yellow with the vintage amber.

Round 2: Ordered a piece of actual ash and butterscotch blonde from Reranch. First impression is excellent. It can be subtle like a faded yellow, or more yellow depending on how many coats.

I just sprayed some blonde on the ash this morning and going to see what that looks like with the butterscotch blonde over it.

Part of this test is deciding on the amount and type of grain filler and sealer...and deciding how much grain I want to see.

I will post a couple of photos of my project when I get home tonight. But from what I'm seeing so far I think the butterscotch blonde from Reranch is the way to go.

I do have a photo of the aged clear over blonde that I will post tonight...but it is not on ash.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2020
  4. ladave

ladave Tele-Holic

Hello JJ, see my other post. Stew Mac (Colortone) Aged Clear over blonde will not be yellow in my experience. Not to say it won't be a nice color...not sure which blackguard look you are going for.

I will post some photos of my current project tonight which might be helpful.

5. ladave

ladave Tele-Holic

As promised...

IMG_0166.jpg IMG_0168.jpg

markophonic likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.