Pithy Wisdom Requested...

Discussion in 'Worship Service Players' started by SBClose, Jul 16, 2021.

1. SBClose

SBClose Tele-Meister

My last post was to share of our plan to move from my post of 17 years in Michigan to take a staff role at a church in Lakeland FL. Your responses were encouraging per usual.

The trip has been bumpy. Florida pastor was hospitalized with COVID/Pneumonia necessitating leaving my lovely wife back in MI while I came down here much earlier than planned to preach for a few weeks.
    He (thankfully) recovered while she packed up our life in MI (have I mentioned she's awesome?!?).
    The purchase agreement on our new home in FL was broken by the seller who got cold feet leaving us twisting in the wind but we're blessed to be staying with family while whatever happens next happens...I now have an hour commute to the church.
    And a bunch of other stuff I won't bore you with, BUT God keeps showing up and confirming that we're indeed obedient to his direction.

I've led worship here a few times and have gotten to know some of the volunteers, but I have my first formal-ish meeting with musicians and tech crew this Sunday.

I'm hoping you guys can help me with a bit of an icebreaker as you're always down for a bit of good natured skewering of WL types.

"FIRST thing you want to hear a newly hired worship leader say"

"LAST thing you want to hear a newly hired worship leader say"

Deeve likes this.
  2. Addnine

Addnine Tele-Holic

I'd ask how the group has evolved, how their tastes have changed over time, that sort of thing. Questions about the music with the option at their discretion of discussing their roles, quirks, personalities etc. More listening than talking.

i would not lay down the law, but I think sharing your experiences, how your tastes have evolved would be in order. The best way to assert your authority is to show you are confident enough not to have to insist on it, except for cause.

I suppose something analogous would be in order re matters unrelated to music. Before you can get things the way you want them, you have to find out how they are, how they got that way, and who cares about what.

These are gleaning from years of teaching English and philosophy, and running an academic department. I guess that's relevant.

3. SBClose

SBClose Tele-Meister

Thanks Addnine, completely relevant.
    You've pretty much outlined my plan for this pow-wow.

"The best way to assert your authority is to show you are confident enough not to have to insist on it, except for cause." I appreciate this word of wisdom especially.

I'm looking for material like; the last thing I want to hear a newly hired WL say is, "feel free to drop by my office to see my music box collection".

Deeve likes this.
  4. hotraman

hotraman Tele-Afflicted

I've been on both sides of these meetings, as the new worship pastor and a member of the team.

I would have some fun with this.
    Ex: have all of the team take one minute, to fill out a statement about what they would like to see for changes, vision, etc of the worship.
    Put them in a bag, pull a few out to read, but change the answers: ex, we want green m & m's in the waiting room, matching T shirts in some ugly color for the worship team, etc ... try to interject some humor into a new situation.

Truth be told, these meeting can be fearful for some: changes could mean that certain members will have the roles changed or reduced, or new auditions to happen.

I'm going through this, with my former home church. The new worship leads, are way younger than I, meetings are scheduled during my work hours, and I'm only scheduled as a sub lead guitar player ( once every five weeks)
    I've decided to remain friends with some of the musicians, but I've declined the last few invites to play. My role is changing at this church. However God is bringing new opportunities at other churches, where my skills / values align with leadership.

Change will be hard for all, including you and your team. Leading with scripture, common vision and goals and servant leadership, will make your transition a "win."

5. GoldieLocks

GoldieLocks Tele-Afflicted

"I'm deaf in one ear --- but my right eye works good".

"So how much money is in the cash box exactly???"

"Satan likes it when women SING..."

I could go all day....

If you really want to terrify them and wake them up. Try this:
    "Answer honestly, would you be willing to change the music to absolutely ANY STYLE if it will get and keep your grandkids in church>>>?"
    ---- the honest answer: Would be NO. We want what WE want. How dare you mash the teletubbies with Metallica.:twisted:

Deeve and mRtINY like this.
  6. CapnCrunch

CapnCrunch Friend of Leo's

I agree with @hotraman. New worship pastor likely means change. Change=fear. For different people that means different things like change in roles, level of involvement, level of influence with the WL, or just a simple change in format or music style to one some may not like. @GoldiLocks said it better than I could:lol:.

It's a hard thing to let everyone know that you are going to be a strong leader, but at the same time be sensitive to the needs and emotions of the team that the Lord has provided and to the congregation you all are a part of.

I think honesty is the best path. Don't waste time, say it like it is, and don't be shy to ask your team their thoughts on how the Lord is leading them and especially the congregation in Worship. As a group, pray together for His leading and listen for His response. That may sound kind of trite, but the exercise of asking together, and listening together is an important one.

7. SBClose

SBClose Tele-Meister

Thanks guys,
    Goldie delivers!
    The meeting yesterday went well but was poorly attended. Communication regarding the time/place/agenda was left to others, I don't think my expectations were made clear.
    Job 1- Seek the Spirit's guidance in all things
    Job 2- assemble a complete and functional contact list and take responsibility for communication.
    Job 3- understand the context of this church and establish direction for change to make meaningful corporate worship the norm.
    Job 4- teach the band to enjoy playing together...jam night anyone?

Deeve and GoldieLocks like this.
  8. mRtINY

mRtINY Friend of Leo's

Given that church music shouldn't suck, what needs to change here?

As advice to a new leader: remember what you are there for - you need to work with what you have and keep people involved.

ravindave_3600, Deeve and GoldieLocks like this.
  9. SBClose

SBClose Tele-Meister

Perhaps the most direct, salient and insightful question to put before the musicians. I'm gonna find a way to do this!

We talked about this a bit on Sunday. How to best use the tools in our box rather than wasting our time pining for resources we don't have... or alienating those who are serving.

mRtINY likes this.
  10. GoldieLocks

GoldieLocks Tele-Afflicted

I have a church music rule:

#1 - Don't complain about things you can't fix. Fix the things you can (without emotions) and don't complain... too much.

and a bonus:

#2 - If God sends you a hillbilly metal band... guess what kind of music HE wants you to make? :eek:

11. Grenville

Grenville TDPRI Member

One time we had a big change, meetups became less about learning new songs and more about interacting.

For example, every now and then we'd do "Super Song Challenge". We'd break into smaller teams with 45 minutes and a list of things to use, a scripture verse, maybe (or maybe not) a chord sequence, and were tasked with coming up with a new song using the scripture, a reference to a currently well known chart hit, add an a capella section, use found percussion, etc.

Then we'd get together in the last 45 minutes and play each other what we'd come up with, vote and give prizes.

In other words, playtime.

Of course when any combination of people would arrive on Sunday morning, we'd had fun together previously, had some experience at putting a tune together quickly and prep time was more about the tech than the band rehearsing or getting it together.

Deeve and SBClose like this.
  12. scooteraz

scooteraz Friend of Leo's

I’ve not had to be a new worship leader, but I have had to be the new boss on a few occasions.

My opening meeting usually goes along with some variation of this:

“Hey guys, nice to meet you. Won’t be much change here until I figure out where the bathrooms are and who really signs my check. After that, we’ll figure out how much of my ego I can impart on this group, and how much inertia I cannot overcome. But, we still all have jobs to do, let’s do them to the best of our abilities.

I’ll have a lot of questions, and more than a few ideas. You all have ideas. Some of my ideas will be good, some will be bone-headed. I expect your’s will have about the same ratio of good to silly. There will be change but for the most part, we will still go with what gets our jobs done. You all are the experts in local processes and expectations. My expertise is in the field and a lot of general and specific knowledge about what works in other places.”

Then we talk about who is who and what is what. A few meetings later I discuss what I have noticed, and what my expectations are. The approach has yet to fail me. Of course, I work in a technical field, so….well as I have said in several musical settings, as a musician I’m a great engineer!

Deeve and GoldieLocks like this.
  13. scooteraz

scooteraz Friend of Leo's

Baroque?????:lol:

GoldieLocks likes this.
  14. Grenville

Grenville TDPRI Member

As the saying goes, if it ain't baroque, leave it alone. Or something.:rolleyes:

mRtINY and GoldieLocks like this.
  15. Deeve

Deeve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Would private coffee-dates work in the new community?
    Listen to success stories (to find out how they define "success")
    Look for the quiet ones that nod in apparent agreement but go on and do what they do.

I like the song-scramble game idea - unexpected resources & allies may reveal themselves.
    The "found percussion" element has double appeal as it may reveal who is willing to be silly, and it may be a stealth way to pull people out of the rut of their primary instrument.
    And it may reveal who can lay down a groove.
    I'd like to think Creator likes a good groove.

Peace - Deeve

16. Tele-beeb

Tele-beeb Friend of Leo's

I’m late to this party.
    Our current WL was a mystical hire that said “ I run things like a boss.”
    Well… nobody else has a say… so he ain’t a liar, God bless him.

ravindave_3600 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.