1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Pistol recommendations?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by strateles, Aug 6, 2013.

1. strateles

strateles Tele-Holic

I know this is a love or hate topic here. If its not your thing, sorry but I value the input of our collective here at the TDPRI.

I am looking to get a new pistol for some plinking/target practice. I have plenty of rifles and shotguns and dont really need anything else for home defense, just something for practicing/plinking in the back pasture. My first thought is a simple .22 pistol so that it is (relatively) cheap to shoot. But I want something fun to shoot and most .22's I have shot really dont give you "that feeling". My father in law is insistant I go for a 9mm. But It seems like that might get a little costly everytime I want to go run a few hundred rounds through it.

So now I dont even know what caliber pistol I want, much less brand. I dont mind buying used but when I go into the gun shop I feel like I dont really know enough to be able to make an informed decision on a used piece.

I am feeling a little overwhelmed like when I was 13 and would go into the guitar shop and ALL the guitars would be on the wall. It took me about 20 guitars and about 15 years to find that the telecaster is right for me. I dont want to take that much time and money to find the right pistol for me.

I am looking for my goods friends at TDPRI to recommend a few options for me to research a little more. Should I go .22, 9mm, ??? I am looking for a semi-auto and I would like to keep the budget under/around $400.

What pistols do you like/use, and why does it work for you.

Thanks!

2. 6Shotsdown

6Shotsdown Tele-Meister

Honestly, I think the feel is important and it's completely subjective. I would go to a range that has rental and try a bunch out. Caliber wise, I don't what will be cheaper than 9mm besides .22.

3. Verandah

Verandah TDPRI Member

Go for one with single coil PUPs.

4. Ed Boyd

Ed Boyd Tele-Afflicted

Whatever I can find ammo for.

Can't remember that last time I saw 22LR in a department store.

5. creading

creading Tele-Holic

I have a Sig Saur 'Moskito' .22 for plinking. It's a great gun.
    To be honest, it was getting way too expensive to take the 9mm or 357 to the range.
    Over the last few years I rarely use higher caliber guns for 'plinking'

6. richinva

richinva Tele-Meister

A Ruger 22/45 bull barrel is a great plinker. Feed it some decent, jacketed ammo. Decent trigger that can be tweaked by the right person, if that's your thing.

I put a C-More on top of one for Open Class Steel Challenge and loved it.

Dependable as hell, with good ammo.

Edited to add: you asked why.......
    why is because it was not prohibitively expensive and matched the grip angle of all of my centerfire competition pistols.

7. guitarzan13

guitarzan13 Friend of Leo's

Just bought a Ruger SR22....($329 new) It is a fun gun to shoot.... I also have a Browning Buckmark that is a blast to shoot! ($350-$400 ish used)

8. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

You can buy a really nice six gun, or semi auto .22 for plinking for $400. You can't get much of a 9mm for $400 unless someone makes you a super buy on one used. Steer clear of cheap 9mm guns and ammo no matter what anyone tells you, 9s are big enough to be dangerous if they come apart. There used to be a video of a guy shooting a cheap .380 that the slide came off of and went into his eye or forehead, don't remember which. The slide is aimed at you if it fails. Unless you are planning on using it for self defense, and you indicate your aren't you will probably learn to shoot better using the .22 pistol. A 9mm doesn't offer that much more in the way of recoil and really isn't that much of a step up in shooting mojo from a .22. The old adage, it ain't the arrow it's the archer is no more clearly demonstrated than in the art of pistol shooting. There's no where to hide, you either hit the target or you don't.

9. DonB52

DonB52 Tele-Meister

You can get a 9mm pistol with a .22lr adapter kit, giving you the best of both worlds. My personal choice for "just one gun" is a .38/.357 revolver. I prefer the simplicity of revolvers over the auto-loaders; they just work!!

10. Stubee

Stubee Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Ruger Mk series one of the few I've really liked.

Attached Files:

11. slippin slider

slippin slider Tele-Afflicted

I don't own a gun . I live in Oakland If I wanted to skip the karma of suicide, dying from a gun shoot wound it would not present a problem.

For going plink-plink-plink an option is going with an Air Soft.pistol. Here, check this,
    A full metal 1911 semi-auto that fires pellets between 290-320 feet per second.
    It has strong recoil and is blow back pistol . This is a Colt. licenced pistol.
    The 1911 is a classic weapon and even thought there are 9's and stuff, the 45 semi-auto is the one shot stop
    Air Soft megastore on line
    Think about it and if you really want a weapon for " social work" a Mossberg or Reminton tactical is just the item for cleaning up those over drawn and well pasted due accounts that need adjustments made.y

12. javacaster97jc

javacaster97jc Tele-Meister

+1 on the Ruger Mk

Classic design. Tack driver.

13. strateles

strateles Tele-Holic

Thanks Guys!

Lots to consider.

Toto'sDad makes a good point that a good .22 would be less expensive and likely safer than a "cheaper" 9mm.

I have been looking at the Ruger SR22 that Guitarzan13 recommended and the Beretta .22 as well as a couple others. So much to decide.

6Shotsdown had a good idea of trying/renting at the range. Great idea!

Thanks EVERYONE! Keep the suggestions coming!

14. Little Chubs

Little Chubs TDPRI Member

For what it's worth, I have a Ruger 22/45 (.22) and a Ruger SR9 (9mm). I like them both very much, but the 22/45 definitely gets more rounds through it.

15. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

I have a Browning Micro Buckmark and a Ruger Single Six Convertible and a Ruger P89.

22 and 22/22magnum and 9mm.

The Single Six is by far my favorite. I have an old leather holster that I bought at a yard sale. I love taking that thing to the range.

The Single Six is a 22 long rifle model that lets you change the cylinder to 22 magnum. It's like having two pistols in one. You can take both types of ammo to the range and switch it up.

[​IMG]

I like the way the round is seated in a revolver. It's tight and solid. It's a lot more stable than a semi auto. It's easier to hit the target with a six-shooter. It's not how many rounds you can shoot....it's hitting the center of the target that thrills me. Focus, breath, hit the target.....that's what I like the most.

I appreciate the old school appeal of the six shooter and I like how easy it is to clean and operate safely.

I used to have a couple Ruger Mark 1's and I had many smoke stack jams. The bolt is so big and heavy on those guns that it frequently blows back only partly and the shell that is being ejected gets pinched upright (like a smokestack) in the chamber opening. It happens a lot with that gun.

The Browning Buckmark is a newer/better design in a 22 semi auto. It never jams.

The Ruger P89 is fun and I have the companion PK9 9mm camp rifle (they share the same clips) but it gets expensive shooting 9's. Cheap shells are $10 per box of 50. If you want to plink for an hour you'll drop $40. I can shoot a 22 for hours for $2.00.

Any time that you can focus your mind and use your hands you start to relax. I like shooting and guitars and cameras. That hand to eye focus and patient repetition tend to calm me. A 22 does the job just fine. If you want to plink then plink $2.00 instead of $40. You still get to smell powder and relax.

16. Achysklic

Achysklic Tele-Afflicted

Ruger 22/45,

Attached Files:

17. Achysklic

Achysklic Tele-Afflicted

Or. XDM 3.8 9mm.

Both of these are awesome guns that will last a lifetime.

Attached Files:

18. Achysklic

Achysklic Tele-Afflicted

My fav. For target practice is BP pistols. Cheap to shoot and alot of fun. Here is one of mine.

Attached Files:

19. Ed Boyd

Ed Boyd Tele-Afflicted

I like the Smith M&P 22 because it feels like the M&P 9. Perhaps a silly reason but I like to target practice with something that is a lot like my main pistol.

If you get a .22 do you know where you are going to buy ammo?

20. Ed Boyd

Ed Boyd Tele-Afflicted

When is the last time you bought ammo and where do you buy it? Just curious. Thanks

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.