Well, this weekend I went for broke and did a serious overhaul on my telecaster. I took a heat gun to it and scraped off all of the glossy poly finish. I think she shed about 1 pound in weight. Then I sanded and sanded and sanded some more. I did not use any fine paper because i wanted to keep it kind of rough. Then I gave it some black stain. After the stain sat for about an hour I wiped it with mineral spirits and got the old pirate ship finish I was after. I used tung oil for the finish. I did 3 coats, and she got darker every time, so after the 3rd dried, I decided to leave her alone. I debated really aging the hardware, but decided just a spray bottle with vinegar, and some sandpaper was enough to get rid of the mirror finish. I was happy with the effect. While putting it back together today, I decided since I had already removed the capacitor for the tone knob a week or so ago, i might as well take the tone knob out completely. Now it’s just pickups, selector switch, volume, and input jack. She wails!! Thanx for looking!