Pioneer SX 850 set up

b2187101

Tele-Meister
I purchased a Pioneer SX 850 stereo receiver (serviced by previous owner). Spent last night cutting speaker wire and hooking up the brand new speakers. Hoping to get a decent turntable. This is almost solely going to be used for vinyl.

After all that work... my 12 year old son asks, "Dad! Can you talk with truck drivers with that?"

I think he thought I was setting up some huge CB radio, too funny.

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
I purchased a Pioneer SX 850 stereo receiver (serviced by previous owner). Spent last night cutting speaker wire and hooking up the brand new speakers. Hoping to get a decent turntable. This is almost solely going to be used for vinyl.

After all that work... my 12 year old son asks, "Dad! Can you talk with truck drivers with that?"

I think he thought I was setting up some huge CB radio, too funny.

I just Googled the SX850, wow!
Quite a receiver
This takes me back to the late 1970's, when stereo components systems were all the rage

Story:
I went to a boarding HS, and if you survived the first 3 years, living in huge dorm rooms ( I did!), then you got to
actually live in the Senior Wing- hallway with 2 guys sharing a small room, like college. Bunk beds/desk...

One of the things we all looked forward to was buying the cool stereo system over the Summer to have for your Senior room,- it was friendly competition!
I didn't have a lot of $$, but $239 in 1976 got me:
Sherwood 20 watt amplifier/receiver
(2) Sony 8" /tweeter bookshelf speakers
BSR Turntable ' with anti-skate!'

My buddies down the hall had Bose 501's, Pioneer.ONKYO, and Advent Large speakers, Kenwood...

Somethings you just remember!
Have fun!

Martin R

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
We have a Yamaha CR-840. The reviews on it was that it had a flat response. Many people didn't like it.
Perfect for mixing!

b2187101

Tele-Meister
I'm curious, what speakers are you using with your SX 850?

I spent a long time searching for a properly serviced receiver since every last qualified service person in my region is no longer working on HIFI. I did not want to spend even more time looking for vintage speakers or record players. I have a pair of Klipsch 600M speakers. I will hopefully pair these with a Denon DP-400 semi-auto turntable and be able to spin my vinyl like I did when I was a kid!