Pinstriping...questions, seeking advice.

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by Bedder18, Jun 29, 2020.

1. Bedder18

Bedder18 TDPRI Member

I have a tele body begging for a skilled pinstriper to lay down some soulful lines, but I have a couple of questions.

1. Should I be seeking a local person who does this sort of thing in the automotive world , or am I better off finding someone who specializes in guitars (if there is such a niche )?

2. If I find someone who does this on cars and bikes, but has never done it on a guitar, is there a special type of paint that he should be using?

2. Danb541

Danb541 Tele-Afflicted

Look for a car guy. They usually use "one shot", its an oil based sign/lettering paint. Or just buy the stuff and do it yourself.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002M0VEUG/?tag=tdpri-20
    My Dad who has passed away was a sign guy and pin striper. I'm pretty good at stripping even though I haven't done a lot of it. To me, it's not that hard, but keep in mind, I grew up helping my Dad paint signs so I can handle a brush pretty well. Once when my parents were on vacation an auto body shop who he stripped for on occasion called in a rush, they had a car with real painted stripes instead of the common tape they use. It was basically matching the current stripe color and lines on one panel of the car. Long story short.. I got the call. Hardest part was matching the paint color, I was pretty nervous but pulled it off.

Bedder18, El Tele Lobo and tubegeek like this.
  3. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Yeah car or motorcycle guy should be able to do it.

Bedder18 likes this.
  4. Dan R

Dan R Poster Extraordinaire

I like a telecaster with a good pinstripe design. When done right, they are sharp. Sort of nostalgic, but still great to me.

Bedder18 likes this.
  5. Peegoo

Peegoo Friend of Leo's

Stop by your local custom bike shop and they can easily recommend someone that does great work.

Bedder18 likes this.
  6. tdoty

tdoty Tele-Meister

In Indiana, I'd suggest Chris50......unfortunately, I don't know his real name nor if he is actually still striping. The welding helmet he did for me is just signed Chris50.

Bike guys and custom car guys can handle most jobs thrown at them. They might use One Shot enamel, they might use House of Kolor urethane. The guys doing it can advise on paint type and care.

Bedder18 likes this.
  7. scook

scook Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I would agree with a motorcycle shop being a good spot to check out. When I was younger and worked in a bike shop we always had custom painters, pinstripers, etc. we referred work to.

The other good thing about a bike shop is they usually have connections with leatherworkers, fabricators, and various types of finishers. It can be a nice resource if you need straps altered or decorated, or parts fabricated for builds. A guy I worked with kept the powder coating folks in business.

Bedder18 and Fiesta Red like this.
  8. Mr Gunny

Mr Gunny Tele-Meister

A car dealership should also be able to tell you what local guy they use. I used to detail cars in my misspent youth and locally there was a guy who had to have striped thousands of cars, you could always tell who did it because of the quality and he actually signed his name in between the pin stripes, you can’t even tell unless you’re going over the car with a fine tooth comb though. I could barely pin stripe with tape and this guy could paint on the stripes and sign his name between them, unreal.

Bedder18 and Fiesta Red like this.
  9. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

Hot rod shops, Harley-Davidson shops, tattoo shops and skateboard shops are all great places to start...

I had a guy who makes and paints custom longboards (skateboards) do the pinstriping on my Telecaster...he also does cars and motorcycles as well, but his main business is boards...

3632C24C-7809-48F3-9058-DF807AF15B49.jpeg F831CAA5-0712-4CBC-A180-95681F17238B.jpeg

thjorth, Fretting out, scook and 4 others like this.
  10. Bedder18

Bedder18 TDPRI Member

You guys are the best! That’s exactly the information I was seeking; thanks to everyone that responded. I’ll check out a few local hot rods at a car show coming up this weekend- should be a great place to see some work and get contacts.

One more question regarding design (and I know this is highly subjective, but) the body I have is double bound with a hybrid guard, but no F hole. It’s a solid body, but was thinking an F hole motif incorporated into the overall stripes might look great. Whatcha think?

Fretting out likes this.
  11. scook

scook Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Do you have a picture?
    What color(s) you thinking of using?

12. Bedder18

Bedder18 TDPRI Member

Not mine, but I have almost exactly the same thing with more age to it. Was thinking off-white.. thin lines, but graceful flow.

Attached Files:

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  13. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Friend of Leo's

I know this isn't what you want but I built a guitar for a friend who is probably one of the best custom motorcycle painters in the world. I bound the guitar and the f-holes in bwb plastic binding but he ran one more black pinstripe line just inside the binding to add a red and then black line (the red is the body color). He also ran a thin black line around the bw binding on the f-holes. It is very subtle and kind of hard to see in the pictures here but it really makes the guitar look finished.

IMG_2050.JPG

As far as the faux f-hole, I'll give my opinion but you know what they say about opinions. I put f-holes in instruments where they serve a purpose - the arch top above is an example. I put f-holes in guitars where they are expected (ES-335 clones even tho they are prone to feedback). I think the single f-hole on a thin line looks silly, and a faux painted on f-hole would look even sillier. But its your guitar

14. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

Pinstripers = Artists in my opinion.

Find a guy who does it well, trying to do it yourself is not for the faint of heart.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.