Pink Floyd Argument Bait

boneyguy

Doctor of Teleocity
hmmm, trolling isn't being told a story. most folks view trolling as wasting their time and trouble causing. there are rarely rules or laws against story telling but there are rules against trolling and there are punishments for it.

If a person says, this might be offensive but... and then says a very offensive thing, because they noticed it (gave notice of its likelihood) it does not mitigate the offensiveness of the message.

I tell you I'm going to lie to you. I lie. Is the lie less because I told you? (rhetorical question) of course not.

Honestly, I don't really have a dog in this mock fight GB....I initially posted my comment simply because I was amused that someone responded with the 'accusation' that the OP was trolling when the OP clearly stated in his title that he was trolling. It was meant playfully. And I don't think my response to you was all that sincere....I was just trying to joust with you a bit when I came up with my 'more accurate' analogy...and I tend to agree that declaring that you are trolling doesn't negate that you are trolling. I guess maybe I was guilty of trolling?? 🤯

Doctor of Teleocity
It absolutely is soft rock, but as much as that song has been played on the radio, it’s still powerful. So much of what they wrote about is relevant now, it’s uncanny. I really love their music. The Wall was my favorite. Used to play that over and over.

Contrary to the perception of their fan base as partakers of a certain thing, it was never important to me. I think their records are recorded and mixed remarkably well, and although a decent portion of their catalog is slightly depressing to me, I think they are brilliant.

getbent

Telefied
Gold Supporter
Honestly, I don't really have a dog in this mock fight GB....I initially posted my comment simply because I was amused that someone responded with the 'accusation' that the OP was trolling when the OP clearly stated in his title that he was trolling. It was meant playfully. And I don't think my response to you was all that sincere....I was just trying to joust with you a bit when I came up with my 'more accurate' analogy...and I tend to agree that declaring that you are trolling doesn't negate that you are trolling. I guess maybe I was guilty of trolling?? 🤯

or maybe I am! ha ha! I'm not invested either just with PF playing in the background I get bored.

MarkieMark

Friend of Leo's
Is it really a question, if you know the answer too..

Or...
how does what I like/dislike effect you?

Or...
No. The answer to the posed question is no.
there is no association IMO.

unless there is for some people, which I find to be sad.

ponycar

Tele-Meister
Years ago interviewing the singer from Journey, paraphrasing, he said, " we were on Pink Floyd's level and now we are beyond that."
There are genuine insights to be gained from listening to those who fundamentally do not grasp that of which they speak.

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
It's neither here nor there but talk of categorizing music always reminds me of this Douglas Adams quote:

"Beethoven tells you what it's like to be Beethoven and Mozart tells you what it's like to be human. Bach tells you what it's like to be the universe."

(Not because of who said it, but)
In a world where the TDPRI is also a thing, I'm kinda disappointed that this got so little response here.

getbent

Telefied
Gold Supporter
Years ago interviewing the singer from Journey, paraphrasing, he said, " we were on Pink Floyd's level and now we are beyond that."
There are genuine insights to be gained from listening to those who fundamentally do not grasp that of which they speak.
do you mean steve perry or do you mean you... I think it is an interesting thought, I just can't tell who you are talking about.

24 track

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
out of curiousity how many of you watched or saw the movies?

1) More ( the movie stank but the soundtrack was integral to the movie plot .....great album )
2) Le' Vallee (Movie was not bad for the time , very typical, music was a sound track... great album)
3) Zabriski Point ( 60's teen rage , with university riots etc , antonio only used a few of PF's songs 3 originals, and come in # 51 your time is up, Rick Wright wrote Us & them at that point not used)

suthol

Friend of Leo's
All of the proggers from that era had their own voice and none of them really fell into the same pigeon hole.

ELP, King Crimson, Yes, Jethro Tull, Gentle Giant, Moody Blues, Pink Floyd all absolutely brilliant but at the same time totally unique.

The only three that I can think of that were vaguely the same were The Nice, ELP and Fields and much of that was down to the instruments the members played and there was some cross pollination there as well.

I saw PF on their first tour of Oz and was suitably amazed, I think it was immediately post Sid who's darker work with PF I liked but wasn't keen on his pop/whimsical stuff such as Bike

notmyusualuserid

Friend of Leo's
I've never understood why people are so partisan about music. There are a great many musicians whose work I loathe, but I'm not arrogant enough to inflict my opinions of their worth on others.

After all, most of the are rich and famous, they must appeal to someone :)

bromdenlong

Tele-Meister
It's neither here nor there but talk of categorizing music always reminds me of this Douglas Adams quote:

"Beethoven tells you what it's like to be Beethoven and Mozart tells you what it's like to be human. Bach tells you what it's like to be the universe."

Beethoven doesn't make me imagine I'm Beethoven. I might say Beethoven makes me feel more like myself. I don't hear him as being self-indulgent.

Mozart, apart from the Pathetique, just makes me feel a little peppier.

I agree with Adams about Bach.

bebopbrain

Tele-Meister
Following the Webb Space Telescope deployment. Rather than earth orbit, the telescope will sit precisely at the L2 Lagrange point. How hard is it to find that? Set the controls for the heart of the sun.