Pink Floyd Argument Bait

Boreas

Poster Extraordinaire
If you listen to Comfortably Numb and try to forget the band and the context… Is it Soft Rock?

At least the first five minutes before the final solo.
Not really. PF is UNIQUE music. Much of it is not even rock. Trying to label some bands is silly. First solo in CN is in a major key, second is in a minor key. Many bands can't even swing that.

Boreas

Poster Extraordinaire
I like how Roger Waters singing parts are in a minor key,
and then Gilmour's counterparts are major.

It's the simple thangs.
I think that is what makes the solos so great. The first solo is pretty simple in a major key that just soars and lifts us up. The second solo drops into a minor with a ton of mood and anger. A very schizophrenic song - this is what makes it such a compelling tune. Is it rock? Does it matter?

Kandinskyesque

Tele-Holic
I've never even been able to define Pink Floyd as a rock band far less soft rock.
I have them filed under Pink Floyd in my music library, there's no genre that could encompass them. They're just "The Floyd" to me. Undefinable!

What I've noticed about Floyd fans after years of singing with a Floyd tribute band plus my own original material band touring as support with another fairly popular Floyd tribute band was that Floyd fans seem to come from an infinite variety of walks of life.
At the time of supporting a Floyd Tribute (20 years ago) our original material band sounded like a strange crossover between Mott the Hoople and the Chemical Brothers; I've never came across an audience more interested in the music we were doing at that time. It was also before the indoor smoking ban so I've also never quite smelled a gig quite like those support slots either.

I'd consider my youngest brother a Floyd ultra-fanatic but his record collection consists mainly of punk and Irish folk music.

notmyusualuserid

Friend of Leo's
Though I greatly admire David Gilmour, his band sailed right over my head.
They rocketh not.
I greatly prefer soft rock.
PF = boring stoner music, IMO.
I greatly prefer exciting stoner music.
David Gilmour is a prince among men, though.
He donated a pile of money to build a homeless shelter.
Thanks for listening.

All I can say is Floyd must have a very different fan base in the USA...

O- Fender

Friend of Leo's
If you listen to Comfortably Numb and try to forget the band and the context… Is it Soft Rock?

At least the first five minutes before the final solo.
Forget the band and forget the context? You could do that to many songs. There's probably a few minutes of a Metallica song that is yacht rock or part of some Eagles song that is heavy metal.
Of course, it also depends on what your definition of soft rock is. It's definitely not if you compare to Dan Fogleberg. With art, context is everything.
By the way, I did partake once in my life (when in Rome... well actually, Amsterdam) and loved PF long before and long since.

Telecaster88

Tele-Afflicted
I'm a huge Pink Floyd fan, though I prefer their earlier pastoral, psych stuff. In their later years they were exceptional at capturing the feeling of depression beyond depression... Despair, just barely getting on, where every breath is torment. "Comfortably Numb" is dark, weird, plodding, the sound of a soul crushed. (And a masterpiece...) Hardly "Ventura Highway" territory.

Boxla

Tele-Holic
I like PF, especially David's guitar playing but I don't think they've put out anything better than the Syd Barrett solo albums. They are incredible works of music that don't get nearly the credit they deserve.

buster poser

Poster Extraordinaire
If you take the context away, there's softer ones than that tune on the record. Also a disco number.

Whatever, it's my favorite by them and there's not another that's even close. I missed their very early stuff and never caught up with it and if I never hear a track from DSotM again that will also be fine. Delicate Sound of Thunder and all that, big nope for me too.

Greggorios

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
...set them free why don't ya babe...

1642688597009.png