Pink Floyd Argument Bait

pixeljammer

Tele-Holic
Gold Supporter
If you listen to Comfortably Numb and try to forget the band and the context… Is it Soft Rock?

At least the first five minutes before the final solo.

24 track

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
the one thing PF excelled in was creating a mood ,and writing to that context . and in that one song was trying to create an ambience mental breakdown from inside ones mind , that was most effective for this song .

out of context this song could mean anything to anyone listening, but it fit well with the whole comcept album , ( the album is not my favorite PF effort, )
but PF is my most influential band and has been since i was 10

Informal

Tele-Afflicted
I played with a bunch of hard core stoners back in the day, They were all HUGE Pink Floyd fans and i was the only member of our band who didn't care for them... It's a small sample size, I know.... But since were on the subject, is there anyone here, who doesn't wake and bake almost daily... that considers themselves a Pink Floyd fan?

Serious question.

Masmus

Tele-Holic
I played with a bunch of hard core stoners back in the day, They were all HUGE Pink Floyd fans, and I was the only member of our band who didn't care for them... It's a small sample size, I know.... But since were on the subject, is there anyone here, who doesn't wake and bake almost daily... that considers themselves a Pink Floyd fan?

Serious question.

I was a fan before DSM and I've never done drugs.

Maybe it's because I heard it when I was too young to do that so I never felt the need to listen to their music stoned.

richiek65

Poster Extraordinaire
I played with a bunch of hard core stoners back in the day, They were all HUGE Pink Floyd fans, and i was the only member of our band who didn't care for them... It's a small sample size, I know.... But since were on the subject, is there anyone here, who doesn't wake and bake almost daily... that considers themselves a Pink Floyd fan?

Serious question.
Never a partaker of the stuff, didn't really discover PF till i was 20 (in 85), couldn't get enough of their later stuff, still rate most of it as essential listening on a semi regular basis. Gilmour just kills me with both his vocals and guitar playing, when I die, he can be the soundtrack. And Waters with his edge of sanity voice, it affects me!
Saw a few songs off the recent Us and Them concert film the other night, still delivering great art at what, 80 years old?

Who needs drugs?

24 track

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
I played with a bunch of hard core stoners back in the day, They were all HUGE Pink Floyd fans, and I was the only member of our band who didn't care for them... It's a small sample size, I know.... But since were on the subject, is there anyone here, who doesn't wake and bake almost daily... that considers themselves a Pink Floyd fan?

Serious question.
they got labled with that because Sid crashed and supernova'd , I'm not saying they were angels by any means , but after ummagumma they left the Sid Barret momentum behind and trust me Sid scared the crap out of them. how ever they were looking for their own direction and still be inovative on all levels .
so the whole drug influenced thing was in the minds of the listeners. I am quite sure snow fell on their table tops now and then , but the pscycodelia , Gilmour could not run from fast enough.

bobio

Tele-Afflicted
Gold Supporter
I do think you run into trouble trying to pigeonhole music into tight categories.
Who makes up these names and if you spend a minute on any music related forum, it is clear that no one knows what they actually mean ;)
Rather, they probably mean something different to each and every one of us. It is like trying to use words to describe a tone, they often fail.

Last edited:

knopflerfan

Friend of Leo's

Serious question.
Never smoked "it" - ever. I'm a huge fan of Dark Side Of The Moon, Wish You Were Here, and Animals. Classic, timeless albums that I think will never be equalled, for that genre/"type" of music.

bobio

Tele-Afflicted
Gold Supporter

Serious question.

HUGE PF fan here 🙋‍♂️

Nope, never touched the stuff. Any exposure was incidental to '80s concert attendance o_O

Slight tangent...speaking of Pink Floyd fandom, have been obsessing with David Gilmour sounds lately which has influenced several pedal purchases :eek: Here are the most recent.

Waiting on a BC 109 silicon Sun Face from Analogman.

sunfacex3sml.jpg

The latest toy, is on its way here from Sweetwater 😜

DarkSidePed-large.jpg.auto.jpg

Last edited:

Ricky D.

Doctor of Teleocity
Nobody else does tension and release as well as PF. They establish a solid calm groove and gradually incrementally increase the intensity until Gilmore blows the roof off. The contrast multiplies the impact and maintains your engagement.

brookdalebill

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Though I greatly admire David Gilmour, his band sailed right over my head.
They rocketh not.
I greatly prefer soft rock.
PF = boring stoner music, IMO.
I greatly prefer exciting stoner music.
David Gilmour is a prince among men, though.
He donated a pile of money to build a homeless shelter.
Thanks for listening.

Tele-beeb

Friend of Leo's
I am so conflicted with regard to PF.
WYWH was my first PF immediately followed by DSotM then Ummagumma and so on.
Loved all that…
Fast forward to college… The Wall was conflicting. I didn’t like the story line, I didn’t like the imagery, I didn’t like much. The “numbing” effect and feel of the Wall was off putting. I didn’t especially like anything they did from there on.
It made me re-look at the darkness and nihilism projected (personal perception) in much of their work. Took some of my PF joy.
Not joining in a hate thread as I really still dig Animals to the front of the catalog.

Last edited: