1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Pink Floyd : Animals

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by ping-ping-clicka, Mar 21, 2020.

1. stonetone7

stonetone7 Tele-Meister

Meddle is my fave Floyd record but Animals is a close second, mostly because Gilmour is my jam and he’s all over it.

The Wall and Dark Side are mainstream classics and kind of stand apart from the rest of the catalogue. I don’t listen to them too much anymore.

I like the Syd stuff too, especially Piper, but whenever I’m into pure psychedelic weirdness I usually gravitate toward the San Francisco bands.

Rev Rhythm and broadcaster like this.
  2. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

I like the sound of Animals too, but the funny thing is that the albums before it had all been recorded at EMI (aka "Abbey Road"), and Animals was recorded at their PA warehouse in a disused church. IIRC, the recording process was a nightmare since they were essentially building a studio while making the record. After that, they used commercial studios in the UK and France for The Wall and Final Cut LPs.

3. Rayf_Brogan

Rayf_Brogan Tele-Meister

It's such a bleak album. As good as it is, its hard for me just to throw on.

broadcaster likes this.
  4. Hey_you

Hey_you Tele-Holic

Needless to say that trip ended my taking of illicit substances. Never again. To this day I dont care for the Animals album.
    Ah, the 1970's..[/QUOTE]

Hehe, we made sure our listening sensors were "enhanced" too! Never saw so many people in 1 place so very spaced out. Watched 1 guy talking to a upright column for like 5 mins. At least I can remember that concert!! Saw Division Bell in San Diego also. Heh, back in the day. Never again tho.

broadcaster likes this.
  5. Hey_you

Hey_you Tele-Holic

Besides, all the true hardcore Floydheads know that “Meddle” is their most underrated album. ;):lol:[/QUOTE]
    Meddle had a huge impact on my rock and roll listening habits. If I could have only 1 Floyd works it would be this albumn

broadcaster likes this.
  6. Hey_you

Hey_you Tele-Holic

I can listen to this song all day! Toss up between "Echo's" and "Fearless" which is my fav.

broadcaster likes this.
  7. ElJay370

ElJay370 Tele-Afflicted

I remember having an almost identical conversation with my dad :lol::lol:

8. ElJay370

ElJay370 Tele-Afflicted

Their soundtrack stuff is also way overlooked. Lots of good songs and great playing on those albums

9. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I have all of the soundtrack plus the movies , in the movie "More" ( terrible by all accounts ) thier sound track is played as part of the movie not just in the back ground , in "the Valley" ( great movie ,at least i liked it very much) the music is a sound track, In Zabriskie point they do 3-4 songs 1) heatbeat pig meat 2) crumbling land 3) come in number 51 your times up ( basically " Careful with that aze eugene") this where Rick Wright wrote Us and them to be used in the colledge riot scene but the director didnot want it so it was used on DSOM

10. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

I think "Wish you were here" and "Animals" were their two best albums. I liked one song off of the Dark side of the Moon, and maybe 3 off of The Wall. But I like the guitar playing on pretty much all of their songs.

Digital Larry likes this.
  11. P-Nutz

P-Nutz Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

My absolute all-time favorite Floyd album, as someone else put it, from Piper to The Wall ... first college roommate turned me on to it ...

12. marshman

marshman Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I love Animals, but can’t listen to part of it, I have to do the whole thing. Same with Dark Side.

Finishing up 8th grade when the Wall came out, it played a big part in my musical maturation, and it is a benchmark for me, regardless of the fact that I rarely listen to it anymore.

I always felt like the name “Pink Floyd “ should have been retired when RW went his own way...kinda like what remains of the Grateful Dead...Gilmour & company should have carried on as “Floyd” while RW toured as “Pink”, maybe.

Rev Rhythm and broadcaster like this.
  13. broadcaster

broadcaster Tele-Afflicted

I think Guy Pratt is a great bass player.

Waters directed his strong opinions political and such, even stronger as time went on into the music.

Personally I go to see a show to get my mind off of that crap, not at all to listen to musicians spouting off.

But to each his own.

14. Rev Rhythm

Rev Rhythm Tele-Holic

This might be my favorite Floyd as well. Definitely has some of Gilmour's best playing on it, in my opinion.

15. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

you know the " Men in white " ( the name given to the EMI engineers) would not let PF take any copies of the music tracks out of the studio nor were they allowed to touch any equiptment in the studio to work on the parts, so PF went to Ron Gleeson's studio (a close friend) to do alot od the special effects used on the first albums and would take those tracks back into EMI , of course this changed with Allan parsons and DSOM

Gleesons epic was Atom Heart mother but it was only performed twice live and Gilmours least favorite tracks or album.

16. GuitarKid

GuitarKid Tele-Holic

I like it, but its kind of tedious. I prefer Wish You Were Here for more of that mental masturbation thing.

17. Rockbreaker

Rockbreaker Tele-Holic

Also a life long Floyd fan here. I picked up a copy of the BBC recordings, I think it's 4 or 5 CD's every now and again one copy comes up for sale on ebay. The best live version of Echoes (my favorite Floyd song) is on that. like 15 minutes long...

18. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

I don't disagree with you (I feel the same way about The Who after Moon died), but Mr. Gilmour successfully argued in court that the band had continued using the name "Pink Floyd" after parting ways with Mr. Barrett in 1968, so the precedent was established.

Axegrinder77 likes this.
  19. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

The band actually played it pretty regularly from '70-'72, although they quickly pared it down to 15 minutes or so and abandoned the brass section and choir after a handful of performances. I don't much care for the album (except "If" and "Fat Old Sun"), but I do like the band-only live performances of AHM:

24 track and AAT65 like this.
  20. AAT65

AAT65 Friend of Leo's

The bass parts on both Sheep and Pigs were played by Gilmour himself. Waters wanted to concentrate on singing and playing the rhythm guitar parts so Gilmour did the bass parts — which are very stylish. And live those bass parts were played by Snowy White, with Waters again playing rhythm guitar. (The rhythm guitar ain’t too shabby either, especially that sleazy middle section on Pigs.)

57fenderstrat and Macrogats like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.