"Pink Allamanda" Improved Mix

StoneH

Tele-Afflicted
Gold Supporter
I tend to record in a couple of takes, fix obvious flaws, and move on. I went back and listened to this one, and had to make real changes. The mix is improved; especially track levels. I also removed almost all panning. I recorded both guitars in stereo and it tends to record bass on one side and treble on the other. Since one guitar is played lower than the other, the stereo effectively separates the fingerpicking as if different notes are panned. Neat effect, IMO. I may have to bring the lead back down a little.

Last edited:

Carl_Tone

Tele-Holic
Sounds great! Pretty close to the what I remember of the Clapton unplugged sound. I don’t know much about playing / recording acoustic…what’s investment in guitar/ mics for your results?

StoneH

Tele-Afflicted
Gold Supporter
Sounds great! Pretty close to the what I remember of the Clapton unplugged sound. I don’t know much about playing / recording acoustic…what’s investment in guitar/ mics for your results?

My guitar is 90% of the tone. It's a 1978 Yairi. I don't know how much it would cost to get a guitar that sounds as good (IMHO) as mine.

I can tell you what gear would give the same recording capability:

Scarlett 2i2: $179
Studio One DAW: Free
PreSonus PM-2 mics (Stereo pair): $130
Mic stand: $40
2 XLR mic cables: $50

I use a Scarlet 4i4 and the paid version of Studio One, but the recording quality is exactly the same.

Last edited: