Pinecaster club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by olaftheholy, Aug 22, 2009.

1. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

^^^ NICE! :D

And I think an added bonus to that color choice is that your white guitar pick (or do you call it a plectrum?) takes on a kind of stealth quality! :D

guitarmikey likes this.
  2. Guitar Jones

Guitar Jones Tele-Meister

Here is my trashcaster. It's a Golden Age knotty white pine one piece body. I asked the guys at StewMac to send me the trashiest body they had. This is what I got with a hand written note on the invoice stating it was the "trashiest" body they could find. Yes that knot hole goes all the way through.

I just got it all together this weekend but haven't had a chance to take pics as it's been raining too much.

It's a Mighty Mite neck tinted with vintage amber
    Custom Shop blackguard pickups and a Barden bridge. I'll get more pics up and spec's a little later.

Attached Files:

3. guitarmikey

guitarmikey Tele-Holic

Yes, Sir! That's the plectrum indeed. Appreciated...

4. Guitar Jones

OK, here's some pics, bad ones but the rain won't let up. I'll get the spec's in just a few.

OK, as mentioned before it's a
    Golden Age knotty pine one piece body. I cut a forearm contour on it.
    Fender Custom Shop black guard pickups
    CTS 250K pots
    Oak Grigsby 4 way switch
    vintage cloth wire
    Joe Barden vintage bridge which still needs some work. I like the looks of this bridge but I'm not happy with it, yet.
    Mighty Mite neck with medium jumbo frets and a
    Warmoth single ply crème pickguard
    I splurged a little and bought the vintage style staggered height Gotah tuners so there is no string tree.

The body was finished with vintage amber stain from SM mixed 10 drops of stain to 1 tablespoon of denatured alcohol. Just one coat of stain followed by 4 coats of clear nitro sanding sealer, sanded down then 3 thin coats of vintage amber nitro satin spray. I knocked it all down with some 0000 steel wool. It has a very soft woody feel to it like a satin finished acoustic does.

I have not done a full setup yet as the bridge still needs work. I raised the saddles until the strings stopped buzzing, set the intonation and plugged it up. Sounds really nice, open and airy and it plays pretty well as is but that will get a lot better shortly.

I bought the body, neck, pickguard and tuners new, everything else was leftovers from previous projects so thus the"trashcaster" name.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 19, 2015
    stale facet and old soul like this.
  5. LGOberean

Nice! :D I hope you will post some other pictures when your weather clears. I'd like to get a better look. Try as I might, I can't detect the forearm cut you mentioned.

That knotty pine body got my attention immediately. Personally, I like the look too much to ever be comfortable calling her "Trashcaster." But then I guess calling her your "knotty girl" could get problematic. :oops: :twisted:

And I guess "Leftovercaster" could be misunderstood as well. Oh wait, how about "Leftoverture"? Naw, that's no good, Kansas already claimed that one. Well, maybe you can at least play "Carry On, Wayward Son" on her. ;)

6. Guitar Jones

Thanks Larry. The rain has not let up and now we have the remnants of Erica coming through. Here is an earlier pic before the finish was done of the forearm contour.

I also tossed the Barden bridge, worked the compensated brass saddles over and installed them in a Fender pat. pending bridge plate. I will not buy another Barden bridge.

Attached Files:

7. 2blue2

2blue2 Friend of Leo's

Hope everything is ok there, we have our own hurricane coming through here tomorrow.

Now on to the piney - O - casters. The white snake head is 4 glued pine boards jus like Leo's but my own take on it. Under 5 and a 1/2 lbs.

The purple burst is a clear fir 2 piece. Is fir piney enough to be in this forum? there is just shy of a hundred growth rings on each side. Still working on the pick guard. 5 layer kind this time.. This one too is a super light weight.

I'm surprised this thread is still around.

8. 2blue2

2blue2 Friend of Leo's

Sorry don't know what happened. here they are now.

Attached Files:

9. Quetzalcoatl

Quetzalcoatl TDPRI Member

Hello,
    This is my last build, maple neck ,Artec pickup, locking tuners from Ebay, body made from a pine plank from Ikea..
    Stained with acrylic paint , satin finish on neck and body, and a 4mm sheet of acrylic on the top.
    Mainly made with hand tools...
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Minimalist518, old soul and cam.man67 like this.
  10. The Boss

The Boss Tele-Meister

Some of these are SO nice!
    I have 2 Pinecasters in the works right now, hopefully they will get me into the club!

11. Birch Winters

Birch Winters TDPRI Member

Very nice. I really like the finish.

I've almost finished my 'lefty' Pinecaster project.

My project Tele is having a bit of an identity crisis, but I'm hoping to build one that is comfortable and playable for me. It has a standard Tele profile, but I've added forearm and belly contours. I'm also using a Squier Tele neck that feels good in hand.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The pine body is very pale. I've filled all of the cracks with CA glue (superglue). I plan to give the body a clear finish. I will likely start with clear shellac and then finish it with clear lacquer or poly.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm using Tonerider Hot Classic Pickups and electronics provided by Star Guitar Systems. Everything is configured for a lefty, including the bridge pickup and pots.

The bridge is a Fender one that I believe was used on Mexican Teles.

So far I've done all the work with hand tools. I'm just curious to see what kind of job I can do without power tools. (I have nothing against power tools.)

The toughest task will likely be the bindings. I'm going to use black outer and white inner ABS bindings on the top. I'm planning on using a gramil and chisels to route the binding channel. I guess I'll find out shortly if I can do a decent job without a router.

[​IMG]

That's about it. I'm hoping that this posting will qualify me to join the prestigious Pinecaster Club for Tele pinophiles. :)

Minimalist518, old soul and jvin248 like this.
  12. LGOberean

Wow, BW! Just now seeing this. I really like it! Another candidate for the name "knotty girl." (Assuming of course that your into naming your guitars and you think of them as feminine gender.) Glad you're going with a clear finish. Yes, the pine body is very pale, but it works, to my eye, especially with the warm look of that Squier neck. I personally like the look without binding, but will reserve judgment until I see the finished product (and I do hope you'll do follow up posts with pics).

13. brunocvieira

brunocvieira TDPRI Member

Mine is a modified Classic Vibe 50's Tele. It has a very well joined and kinda matched 5 piece body (Quite good for a Squier, can be compared with the Fender Mexican Standards). I got it refinished with a Black Holoflake, added a Foream Contour and changed the PU's to Fender Vintage Noiseless. I will change the neck very soon, pots to 500k (The Vintage Noiseless are very dark) and the entire nickel hardware.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Tdel10

Tdel10 Tele-Meister

**KNOCK KNOCK ** can I come play in your club? :p 20161128_223818.jpg
    20161124_041559.jpg
    20161124_041533.jpg

rze99 likes this.
  15. guitarmikey

guitarmikey Tele-Holic

Some more... not quite Teles... last one still under work, probably double P90's. All from old pine.

Attached Files:

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  16. Mellencaster

Mellencaster Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

My pinecaster , I recently put together .

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

awasson likes this.
  17. imploration

imploration Tele-Meister

This is my handmade, 125 year old heart pine electric guitar. Firebird style headstock, dreadnaught. Started late June 2016, Completed in late August 2016. Quarter sawn Heart Pine Neck through, semi-hollow body. Double Bound Body. Bound Chestnut pick guard. Rosewood Fingerboard. Vintage Bakelite Fret Markers. NOS MMK 61 Humbuckers. Kluson Banjo Tuners. Check out the build here: http://www.tdpri.com/media/heart-pine-guitar-build.36051/

[​IMG]

psychobilly451 and Minimalist518 like this.
  18. guitrr

guitrr Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

[​IMG]

LSL with sugar pine body

19. Long_Ghost

Long_Ghost Tele-Meister

Are stats allowed? 2011 closet classic pro 100+ yr. old pine

IMG_0054.jpg

psychobilly451 likes this.
  20. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

My last one, still on the bench. One Piece Oregon Jack pine. Cut in my back yard in 2012 or 13, I forget...

CalderaCaster Pickguard. Yellowstone under Lexan.

Caldera-guard-jackM30-pine.jpg

cam.man67 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.