1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Pine wood whitewash finish

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by Jake_the_tech, Sep 1, 2020.

1. Jake_the_tech

Jake_the_tech TDPRI Member

Hey all!
    Long time lurker first time poster here. I'm going to be building a 51' spec tele out of pine and I want to put a whitewash finish on it where you can still see the grain. I have plenty of experience working on guitars and I'm pretty good at woodworking but painting and finishing are areas where I'm pretty green still. If you guys could help me out with the whole process and what products you'd recommend that would be great!
    Thanks!
    Jake

Last edited: Sep 1, 2020
    Lake Placid Blue likes this.
  2. adjason

adjason Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

experiment on scrap is all I got-reranch sells some paint that might work with a thin coat

3. mfguitar

mfguitar Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I have used latex paint thinned out to get the color I want and then coated with Poly. There are specific "pickling" stains out there but I don't find them needed. Sound advice above practicing on scrap as pine can take color unevenly. Good luck... and post pictures!

4. Jake_the_tech

i plan on practicing on the scraps after cutting out the blank so i can see exact way my wood will take the finish

5. Jake_the_tech

Latex? interesting take! through hours of research you're the only one ive seen use latex paint. i think ill use an amber shellac to darken the grain, a white wiping stain so i can get the level of white i want, and then a spray on clear gloss finishing lacquer. note that im just going off youtube videos and forum posts so i dont know if all that is needed or not.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.