Pine build, maybe

Yonatan

Tele-Holic
Here's where I'm at (one year later!):

1. Sanded, and fixed some scratches and dents with CA glue
2. Primed again, lightly sanded
3. Base coat of Rust-Oleum 2x Metallic Gold
4. For the top coat, first few polishing sessions were with blonde shellac flakes mixed with ethanol, then added some Tintamano red #32 into the mix (olive oil and alcohol on the pad as needed)

I wouldn't necessarily recommend this method without a major caveat: A transparent finish like this probably needs to be sprayed on in order to get an even coloring. There are some patches of lighter areas, but I knew in advance that I'd be up against this challenge from my tests on scrap, and I'm still aiming to get it reasonably uniform.

IMG_1122-01.jpeg IMG_1123-03.jpeg

Last edited:

crazydave911

Doctor of Teleocity
Beautiful! 😁 The only thing I like better than my pine guitars (and Russian Bass) is my eastern red cedar guitars and even then it's just the vibe they have with blues. Otherwise pine rules IMO

Yonatan

Tele-Holic
Beautiful! 😁 The only thing I like better than my pine guitars (and Russian Bass) is my eastern red cedar guitars and even then it's just the vibe they have with blues. Otherwise pine rules IMO

Thanks, and I told myself that after this one I wouldn't build another one out of pine (or whatever SPF this is).
Now I'll have to reconsider that :)

Yonatan

Tele-Holic
I ended up switching to the Mixol color fast red (27), which seems to be the exact same color as the Tintamano red 32, but that Tintamano is an L type (somehow they seem to use the same terminology as Mixol), and the Mixol I switched to is what they call LW type which is their term for color fast.

Anyway, just a teaser for now after some progressive finish sanding and polishing out on one side, since I'm probably going to have to go back a few steps from here, as there are one or two sections that need more color build.

jm-finish-preview.jpeg