pine body telecasters?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by agogetr, Oct 31, 2018.

1. agogetr

agogetr Tele-Meister

i know fender is making pine body tel'es and other folks are selling pine bodies for teles, my question is how are they cutting the wood for these? are they plank body like from regular cut boards or are they quartesawn boards? is anyone doing pine necks? any disadvanteges to using pine? is old growth better?
    does it have to be specially cured? i,m really curious!

chemobrain and Pickin N Grinin like this.
  2. sothoth

sothoth Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

I’ve played a pine partscaster and it sounded really nice. The wood was light but pretty stiff. If you tapped it with your finger it had a nice acoustic quality. Don’t know about the cut profile. It looked like it was a 3-piece body to me.

I would personally not make a neck from pine unless it was old growth. And even then I’d be reluctant.

Not sure how helpful this is. You might ask Stewmac about the wood they use on their knotty pine telecaster bodies as a reference point.

3. sothoth

Oh, and I imagine the pine is reclaimed or kiln dried but I’m guessing there isn’t one answer... you’ll probably find variations on what people do.

4. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

All Pine bodies...

Image1540963076.977358.jpg

IMG_0141.JPG

IMG_0876.JPG

5. Southpole

Southpole Tele-Holic

^^^Fantastic guitars!

I’ve only encountered one Pinecaster made by Fender, the 2012 Telebration version made of reclaimed pine. Very cool guitar. You might be able to locate the cut specs online somewhere. Never come across a second hand one for sale.

6. terrybellcountr

terrybellcountr Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

4F568B5B-06CC-4A6D-88B6-225660D0A339.jpeg Pine as a body has a wonderful tone. But to soft for making necks. This body is a +120 year old kitchen wall

horax, Crobbins, moose and 6 others like this.
  7. Lord_Ingipz

Lord_Ingipz Tele-Meister

Love me some pine. personally they're the only way to go. I have a Fat telecaster with an alder body and is heavy. Then a swamp ash esquire to go with it, probably about 5/6 pounds. For the examples I've heard of the body types and natural finish and grain wins me over every time.

Shuster likes this.
  8. kingvox

kingvox Tele-Meister

I played an all Bowery (super old) pine Tele recently at the Northeast Guitar Expo. Cindy from Cindy Guitars was running the booth. She works with Rick Kelly who has been making all pine Teles for a very long time.

The neck was all pine with no truss rod. Wide and thick but super comfortable and the relief in the neck was perfect. Played like butter.

It also sounded fantastic. Not to mention the knockout artwork. I'm a fan.

I never played a guitar with a pine neck before. Or a pine body for that matter. The pine neck was surprisingly comfortable.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  9. agogetr

agogetr Tele-Meister

thanks everyone. i wonder if you could bake the body for extra tone lol pine has a bit of sap i think correct curing would be needed

10. Strange Ol' Man

Strange Ol' Man Tele-Holic

54A64971-E307-432B-863A-EFA0D6EC6D58.jpeg 446B75A8-0804-4EF0-BDD1-CCC0B5A06ED8.jpeg 02DAE5D6-BF47-4140-B09D-9D267B40341F.jpeg 7BC7202E-26E7-41EB-8ED2-DED05409DB8A.jpeg 5327E507-6A9D-458B-9FD1-3CF6AF322C2B.jpeg C031E68E-1F1E-4A90-82DF-2310144B67AB.jpeg 54A64971-E307-432B-863A-EFA0D6EC6D58.jpeg 446B75A8-0804-4EF0-BDD1-CCC0B5A06ED8.jpeg

All Pine . Some reclaimed woods . Love working with it . Bigsby approved and holds on there fine . I use Lacquer and pine is softer wood and it’s gonna get wear and dings faster than Swamp Ash .

11. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

Arlo West pioneered these pinecasters and Keystone ( Wilde) pickups when Bill Lawrence was around. They sound great BUT NO knots in his. I grew up near a lumberyard where really good woods dried out and the carpenters there thought Pine was only good for house frames. They also told me to avoid any knots as they tend to rise despite age. Knots were frowned upon.
    If you want to see Old Piney see Youtube- Arlo West- Cowboy Song The End is Not in Sight. Great old sound from a pine guitar with those Keystone pickups.

12. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Bill Kirchen plays a Tele with a pine body and pine neck, no truss rod. IIRC It’s a Rick Kelly. Don Mare pickups. When he plays it he sounds like Bill Kirchen.

13. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I've made a few pine bodies over the years :). While old pine is touted as being better, the majority of my bodies were from flat sawn and really wide eastern white pine planks from the Catskill mountains. These are huge trees and a few of them were harvested by helicopter. Still it was green and kiln dried furniture grade lumber. Don't be fooled by the internet hype about old wood. They wouldn't be selling that stuff if it weren't for all the hype about bodies made from "new" wood.

These bodies are really what got the pine craze going. Arlo West was a frequent poster here documenting his pine builds and posting videos. My PineMart bodies were elusive and in demand because I was selling them to another fellow who was marketing them until that ended and I started marketing them myself. When one desperate vendor was selling pine bodies on ebay for 29 dollars, I decided to hang it up.

Many are owned by people right here on this forum. The only " old wood" bodies I made were two of them from some barn wood I procured off of ebay when my supply of "new" pine was used up.

That old body, aka the " barncaster"….started that part of the craze.

Since then, Many many boutique builders jumped on and off board. This includes Allparts, Fender, and Stewart MacDonald to name a few. I made mostly one piece bodies but a few 2-3 pc ones too. My first challenge guitar, the tidycatster, was from leftover strips of pine.

tidycatster.jpg

This was a challenge build called "pine-o-rama":

Pine body, Pine neck with rosewood fretboard, pine pickguard, and pine pickup bobbin.

http://www.tdpri.com/threads/barncaster-100-year-old-pine.57082/

http://www.tdpri.com/threads/in-praise-of-pinemart.120024/

The incompleted carved top pine LP body and neck. This had an ebony fretboard on it that I ended up removing. The guitar never got completed and I gave it to a friend of mine.

trini_zps1d2a49dd.jpg

Arlo's bodies.... the barncaster with 2 ye olde nails, ol'piney and son of ol piney.

arlo's pine tele bodies on the floor.jpg

The Dalmore tele. This was the 3rd and final body from the Ol piney plank that Arlo loved so dearly. This was made with a trem rout. I had given the trem routed body to a friend of mine. He kept it in the box for a while and I suggested he sell it back to Arlo. This was finished and assembled by Ron.

dalmore03.jpg
    birdseye pine topped pine body

birdseye pine.jpg

An no pine thread is complete without the taipan tone guitar which you can see started the lesquire movement after its premier here.

http://www.philtone.com/examples/taipantonetelejr.html

Sad to say and do, I just cut into one of my last pine body planks to make a TV Console table..... my how times change.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2018
    RodeoTex, Crobbins, Macrogats and 3 others like this.
  14. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

I love Pine, Fir, Spruce. They make great light weight awesome sounding guitars.
    Pine was used for the first Proto's of Leo's.
    I love the really old stuff for guitars, todays construction variety doesn't cut it for me. Old Reclaimed stuff, nail holes, bug tracks, and all other signs of use. If you pair it with a light maple neck, IMHO, you get the most bang for your buck.
    I was lucky enough to find some 150 year old Pine rafters unused in my garage when we moved into our home 2 years ago. I know it's really old because I can barely make out the grain lines they are so tight.

agogetr likes this.
  15. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

Where's Ron Kirn? He should weigh in on this.....his "Barncasters" are pretty well known and respected. He could tell us any good and bad points.

16. BradKM

BradKM Tele-Holic

Just finished putting this one together...loving it so far. Clearfork Designs body, mystery neck and GFS pickups and hardware.

BlueTelecaster.jpg

17. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

Brad, looks sweet, how is the Guitar Fetish tail piece?

BradKM likes this.
  18. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Don't forget the Squier Classic Vibe Teles have pine bodies. Good sounding guitars. From the one I have and the ones I've played, I'd say there is no tone that I'd attribute to the pine itself. Like any solid body guitar, the individual chunk of wood matters more than the species. Play them in person to pick a good, lively one.

The bodies are 3 or 4 pieces with the grain usually well-matched. Weight is often to the heavy side.

19. BradKM

BradKM Tele-Holic

Solid and subtle. I haven't spent much time with Bigsbys, so I can't make a very good direct comparison. It's easy to string, stays in tune and gives a little wobble when I need it.

DrASATele likes this.
  20. sothoth

I believe Leo used pine on very early telecasters.

DrASATele likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.