Pin Router

Davecam48

Poster Extraordinaire
Hi All,

Got in yesterday and wacked together a little pin router attachment from scraps and bits and pieces laying around, The main material was a few bits of non-structural pine studs. These were scraps so the build size was determined by the longest piece available to form the overhead arm which is fixed at about 5" high in your money and 6" bit to base clearance, I made some hold downs to secure it using the track system on my home made, micro adjustable, mobile router table. Two hold downs look enough but it was built so I could also use a couple of clamps on as well and it can move around the table and secure on either of the four sides or at an angle.

I've already used it this morning to cut some rebates for a mobile base for a small equipment table, and wow! I should have had one of these years ago.
Anyway have attached a couple of pix for your listening and dancing pleasure.

Haven't done a detailed calibration on it yet, and I've only made a 1/2" pin but it is really accurate and I think it will be very usefull and lots of fun.

Attachments

• pin router.jpg
    pin router.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 387
  • pin router 2.jpg
    pin router 2.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 408

guitarbuilder

Telefied
Ad Free Member
My original strat patterns from the mid 80's, that I still have and use, were made on something almost exactly like that. Well, I didn't have fancy knobs...but the concept was the same except I used a longer beam and had it clamped at both ends. I thought that would reduce any flex. Nice job on that one.

davmac

Tele-Afflicted
Very cool idea. I need to get around to making myself a router table at some point soon. I'll aim to get something like this planned in from the start. I had just never thought that a pin router setup would ever come within my budget/capabilty. Thanks for showing me the way Dave!

Davecam48

Poster Extraordinaire
Sorry Rex The previous was the trial device I made before I did the full router table with the removable overhead framework that holds the router. I have some pics of it somewhere and when I find them I'll send to you. If you build a router table make sure you set in lots of aluminium slots running side to side as well as front to back. Then you are able to make it 10 times a more functional tool.

DC