Pin holes forming in lacquer, and in shellac finish. Why?

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by Peckhammer, May 7, 2020.

1. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Oh - and did YOU bother to read the MSDS for the materials he was using - and accordingly, did YOU wear respiratory and eye procession? Or were you just as careless and "smart" as Dale?

2. CapnCrunch

CapnCrunch Friend of Leo's

Wow. How the heck is this relevant to pin holes in lacquer? Ad Hominem attacks are the weakest form of argument by the way.

Old duck, Rigel7 and koolaide like this.
  3. Silverface

It's not - and if you read the thread I pointed that out several times. My post concerned that and lacquer application and safety. The last IS relevant. You're picking up ONE isolated line in a post and being "corrective" when you apparently have NOT read the thread.

I asked th OP to post pictures so we could ID the problem - many confuse pinholes and small fisheye.

You can find the other relevant comments - and the reason for some other comments - in the posts you either ignored or skimmed over.

4. koolaide

koolaide Tele-Holic

Now you've done it. You will be next.;) Oh and thanks by the way, I learned a new word " Ad Hominem" I had to google it:oops:

Rigel7 and CapnCrunch like this.
  5. koolaide

koolaide Tele-Holic

Told ya :p

Rigel7 likes this.
  6. CapnCrunch

CapnCrunch Friend of Leo's

Really? Ya think?;)

7. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

A number of years ago , Martin was having random issues with fisheye . Random issues are the worst to solve . In the end , it was discovered that one lady sometimes wore a perfume that had silicone in it . Not every day , mind you , but sometimes . Every guitar that she touched after handling that perfume had the problem . It took quite some time to figure this out . As a result , perfume , cologne , etc are strictly prohibited inside the factory for employees .
    I thought that I would share this because it shows how seemingly harmless things can have great impacts , particularly when it comes to applying a finish on anything .

8. Silverface

True. But now only to prevent surface contamination during fabrication. If you read the previous posts and watched the video, the production line finishing area has NO humans inside - it's a hermetically sealed area with temp, humidity and air filtration controls with ALL application done robotically.

The "perfume incident" took place about 50 years ago.

And - to get very specifically back on topic - we do not know whether the OP is having pinhole or fisheye issues, which are completely different. Still need pictures of the problem to even venture an educated guess.

Last edited: May 16, 2020
  9. otterhound

Duh . Surface contamination during fabrication is exactly when and what was happening during the incident period . This is so important as most contamination takes place before any spraying takes place . Pics would help .

10. Silverface

There's no way to know that. He mentioned using a compressor, so if he's using conventional spray there could have been oil or water (or something else) in the lines; in rare cases airborne contaminants can end up on the surface even during aerosol application.

So "Duh" is not applicable, and without pictures it's still unknown as to whether the issue is pinholes or fisheye.

11. otterhound

Still on the attack , huh . I defer to Samuel Clemens .

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.