Pimento Cheese, FYI

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Killing Floor, May 6, 2021.

1. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Friend of Leo's

It's almost Mother's Day and your mom and your wife have been wanting pimento cheese. But not the toxic dayglo stuff from the plastic tubs at the big box store. Make the good stuff. It's super easy and harder to mess up than it is to make.
    I start with sharp cheddar and mix in either gouda or mozzarella or provolone if you want something you like to mellow it out. Fold in mayo, depending on the thickness of the shredded cheese you have your amount of mayo will vary so start with too little, be careful not to beat the cheese into submission, just fold it with a spatula. Use Dukes mayonnaise because it's the best, you already know that by now. I use the whole roasted pimentos and chop them coarsely because my opinion is the well-known small jar brand of pimentos is way too sweet, but if that's all you can get it is fine. My own spin is adding a spoonful or 2 of adobo sauce. Not enough to make it spicy but enough to knock back the sweetness of the mayo and pimentos. That's the slightly pink hue if you noticed it. When my kid is home from college we add minced serrano or jalapeño. It's heavenly. And mayonnaise is a vegetable according to Mama June. Technically there are vitamins in the pimentos too. Pro tip is you can add chopped bacon, that's a very good idea but I'm a sucker for the simple version of the classic.
    Enjoy!

upload_2021-5-6_13-59-9.png

clayfeat, BB, Rockdog and 4 others like this.
  2. haggardfan1

haggardfan1 Friend of Leo's

Any friend of Duke's mayonnaise is a friend of mine. Instead of jalapenos, try putting a little can of drained green or hatch chiles in there. Not as overpowering and I prefer the flavor personally.

Jalapenos belong on Tex-Mex... not pizza, hamburgers, or anything else. (I'm ducking now, and awaiting the pitchforks tar and torches :lol:).

3. lmjmitchell

lmjmitchell Tele-Meister

Good idea on the adobo sauce. I'll have to try that.

Yes, Duke's is the only way to go.

haggardfan1 and Killing Floor like this.
  4. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

I had no idea there were so many Dukes fans. I am not but it's not because I think it's not as good as Hellmans. I just don't think it's any better. Either is fan.

+1 on good pimento cheese. Great as a sandwich or on Ritz. I loved the scene in "Green Book" where the New York body guard is served pimento cheese at a reception and spits it out. It was hysterical and shows how folk's pallets differ from region to region.

Try pimento cheese on a good burger. It's awesome.

BB and lmjmitchell like this.
  5. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Southern caviar.

6. Rockdog

Rockdog Tele-Afflicted

I've seen epic poems about Duke's mayo. but I've never had it. I don't think it's available anywhere close to the northeast. If any of you have a tip on an online source, please advise.

7. haggardfan1

haggardfan1 Friend of Leo's

My best friend, who was raised in North Carolina and raised on Duke's, introduced me to it about a decade ago. At that time, in was not available in stores here, so he, his wife, and I would order a case online. I was single then, so I would get one jar and they'd get three. Now most local grocery stores here carry it and I couldn't be happier.

lmjmitchell and Rockdog like this.
  8. Lies&Distortion

Lies&Distortion Tele-Afflicted

Red peppers have more vitamin c than oranges. After they get 'pimento-d' ? Beats me. Now I'm hungry...

9. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Regional cuisine!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.