Pilgrimage to Nashville

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by EXPLRGAB, Jun 8, 2021.

1. Chicago Matt

Chicago Matt Friend of Leo's

Tootsie's is still going strong.:)

EXPLRGAB likes this.
  2. David C

David C Tele-Meister

If you plan on going to Carter's, be aware that they are only letting people in to the store by appointment these days.

EXPLRGAB likes this.
  3. twangking

twangking Tele-Afflicted

Nashville is a shell of what it used to be. Gruhns is a good hold out but their prices used to be much better. Now you're paying top dollar and sometimes for something just because of the year. Lot of 60s and 70s dogs.

4. EXPLRGAB

EXPLRGAB TDPRI Member

THE WIFE AND I ARE EXCITED TO VISIT NASHVILLE... IT IS IN EVERY SENSE A PILGRIMAGE TO THE COUNTRY MUSIC CAPITAL...GOD BLESS AMERICA......SECONDARILY, IT IS A GUITAR SAFARI...TO HAVE MY 2019 WILDWOOD SPEC R8 LP REFRETTED TO 59 SPEC FRET WIRE....AT GLASER GUITARS...AND SEARCH FOR A DEAL ON A T STYLE GUITAR WITH THE RIGHT STUFF. THANKS TO ALL.... WHO HAVE OFFERED GOODWILL AND RECOMMENDATIONS..I HAVE INCORPORATED BOTH INTO THE PLAN...GOD BLESS AMERICA.

5. jwp333

jwp333 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Never been there myself but I'd have to think that a trip to the Opry would be at the top. Then Third and Lindsley would be next. The Time Jumpers is a great idea if its happening.

Then I'd make sure to go on a trip to Gruhns to try out a sinker mahogany guitar.

6. rand z

rand z Friend of Leo's

I suppose...

But, I saw a few stinker's there, too.

I think Nashville attracts a lot of wanna-be's; in with the real talented folks.

7. telemaster03

telemaster03 Tele-Meister

Still a lot of good stuff in Nashville. Walk both sides of Lower Broadway and your ears will tell you where to go. You missed Don Kelley, but his band still plays at Robert's as Kelley's Heroes and includes Luke McQuery, who is phenomenal...I think he's 20 or 21 now. Go out by the old Opryland complex, The Nashville Palace or Scoreboard Bar...you never know who might be playing there or just sitting in. As mentioned, The Time Jumpers is must see and Gruhn's, Carters and Rumble Seat Music all along the same stretch of road.

8. cousinpaul

cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

Aside from "the industry" and Broadway, there's a quite a local music scene here as well. There's also a shady side that preys on people who come here willing to do anything to make it big. It's an interesting place to say the least.

9. Ed Storer

Ed Storer Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I'm thinking about attending the annual conference of the professional association I belong to. It's held in Nashville with dates from Friday 22 SEP to Sunday 24 SEP.

Conference hotel is the new Grand Hyatt. I have no idea where it is in relation to the music venues and shops of Nashville.

I've been through Nashville several times on I-40 when I lived in Memphis, and I-24 when I lived in Atlanta, but never left the interstates. The TV series "Nashville" made the Bluebird Cafe something of a celebrity. Is it hard to get admission? I'll go there if I stand a good chance of getting in.

Advice for a tele player tourist will be appreciated.

I haven't decided if I would rent a car. If parking is easy to find and inexpensive, I'll go for the rental. Otherwise, I'll walk or taxi.

In 2018, I attended my 50th high school reunion in Memphis. I rented a car. The traffic and parking were much friendlier than Seattle. I wonder if Nashville is similar.

10. Censport

Censport Tele-Holic

Corner Music is further away from my neighborhood physically, but traffic has gotten to the point that it doesn't take any longer to get to than the old location. And parking is MUCH better at the new place. Was in there a couple of weeks ago and inventory is kinda low, like it is anywhere.

EXPLRGAB (or anyone else visiting Nashville), if you're into cars, motorcycles, bicycles, or airplanes, check out Lane Motor Museum. They have lots of interesting things you probably haven't seen before. The guy at the ticket window might even give you the coupon rate if you say something nice about his Tele behind the counter.

EXPLRGAB and blueruins like this.
  11. adjason

adjason Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Its gotten a lot busier than it used to be 25 or so years ago but it is awesome..so much good music-especially guitar players. it is humbling but great at the same time. Nashville hot fried chicken is good as are the guitar stores mentioned here. Here's a tune I wrote there sitting on the Cumberland talking with a homeless guy watching the bar lights about 22 years ago...Nashville Bum- pretty much sums up my young dumb thinking of "making it" in Nashville on my first trip there

EXPLRGAB and bromdenlong like this.
  12. papa32203

papa32203 Tele-Afflicted

+1 for Corner Music...

Censport and Geo like this.
  13. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

do they put out electrical fires with electricity?:p

14. Allen Peterson

Allen Peterson Tele-Meister

Yes, definitely see the Time Jumpers. However, Vince Gill no longer plays with them. He left the band late last year. But, this shouldn't keep you from seeing the Time Jumpers. I saw them last Monday night. Amazing musicianship! They put on a memorable show, even without Vince.

EXPLRGAB likes this.
  15. Geo

Geo Poster Extraordinaire

16. Harry Styron

Harry Styron Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

The Country Music Hall of Fame is a well-curated museum. Not hokey and very interesting.

EXPLRGAB and Telecaster88 like this.
  17. OldDude2

OldDude2 Tele-Afflicted

Welcome Ya'll - I've lived in BNA "Nashville" for 22 years and can't imagine living anywhere else, but I left the city 2 years ago for clean country air and less traffic. Green acres is the place fer me...

I'm still hiding under a rock due to Covid so how does everyone acclimate back to normal?
    OD2

EXPLRGAB likes this.
  18. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

That looks like fun. Before the flood in Nashville Gibson had something similar though I don’t think as big at Opry Mills, I think. I didn’t play then and really liked to walk through and see the displays.
    The Gibson Garage looks like it would be a great place to visit.

EXPLRGAB likes this.
  19. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I was there last Saturday you no longer need an appointment but they are requiring masks. Of course, I was picking up a Bass and they knew I was coming. D25E155F-FF13-4EDC-A7B4-2F89E0CFC3DA.jpeg

EXPLRGAB likes this.
  20. Telecaster88

Telecaster88 Tele-Afflicted

Came here to say this. I was afraid the HOF Museum would be a sterilized, whitewashed Industry PR kind of place, but it was wonderful. I ended up spending an entire day there.

EXPLRGAB and Harry Styron like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.