Piles of Strats.....

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by schmee, Oct 24, 2021.

1. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

"Clapton: “I was in Nashville and I went into this shop called Sho-Bud where they had stacks of Fender Strats going for virtually nothing because they were so unfashionable and unwanted,” “I bought a big pile of them all for a song - they were really cheap, like $300 or $400 each - and I took them home and gave them out. I gave Steve Winwood one, I gave Pete Townshend one, I gave George Harrison one and I kept a few.

I made Blackie out of a group of them. I took the pickups out of one, the scratchplate off another, the neck off another and I made my own guitar, like a hybrid guitar that had all the best bits from all these Strats.”
    [​IMG]

2. ieatlions

ieatlions Tele-Afflicted

And who says partcasters don’t hold value?!

9472EB8A-7542-4430-BDD6-852AA24FF9DD.jpeg

3. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

So it's a partcaster? Except Clapton had it auctioned off to Guitar Centers for close to a million bucks. Then, GC had Fender clone 250 or 275 of them, that sold for $22,500 each. Then, GC sold the guitar to the Rock'n Roll Hall of Fame for a million bucks. A partcaster.

4. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Eric Clapton's famous partscaster.

5. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Friend of Leo's

And....Sho-Bud later became Robert's Western World.

Place has a lot of history.

SnidelyWhiplash, igor5, CCK1 and 2 others like this.
  6. Tele-friend

Tele-friend Tele-Holic

Good 'ol days when nobody wanted old 50's Les Pauls, Strats and Teles because they were old and unfashionable...:eek:

7. Lou Tencodpees

Lou Tencodpees Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I wish I could go back in time to a day when I prowled Guz Zoppi music center on 8 Mile in Detroit. Totally turned off by those worn out old Strats with the funny shaped little headstock. I still wonder what a 50's or 60's was going for when I was paying $400 for a new one.

Neener and Tele-friend like this.
  8. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Friend of Leo's

Yeah, I remember that rack of Strats at Sho-Bud, except I remember them being more in the $120-$200 price range. Then all of a sudden they were all gone. Back then I didn't have $120 anyway.

9. richiek65

richiek65 Poster Extraordinaire

Bought my first Strat in 83, walked into a famous store here in Sydney (Smithy's) and saw a wall full of beat up old strats and teles, most of them early 60s, for about AU$1500 each. I bought an 82 model for $770 thinking how strange it was that anyone would pay a higher price for an older model with scratches on it! I should have bought everything in that shop that day, i could have retired by age 30...

Ah, youth..

Last edited: Oct 24, 2021
    dscottyg, Skyhook, kookaburra and 6 others like this.
  10. PCollen

PCollen Friend of Leo's

Note to Eric: That was in 1970 (as documented) that your got that pile of Strats, the USA MSRP/list price of a new 1970 Strat back then was approx. $350, and there was really no market for "vintage" instruments ,,, a 50's Strat was just an old Strat worth less than a 60's , which in turn was worth less than a new 70's to most people. You didn't really get a deal on those Strats, at the time. But if you had kept them......

Well, maybe he DID get a deal from the standpoint of an Englishman, considering what was available, and at what price, back in his home country .

https://www.vintageguitarandbass.com/fender/catalogues/1970_5.php#

Last edited: Oct 25, 2021
    Tele-friend and jvin248 like this.
  11. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

smart decision by clapton

12. Greenmachine

Greenmachine Tele-Afflicted

Built to one's own specs. Nice.

13. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

He probably misremembers the exact amounts. I know I would.

14. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Friend of Leo's

Essentially that what I do with all my Fender stuff.

Being able to swap and easily mod them is my favorite thing about Fenders.

15. slauson slim

slauson slim Friend of Leo's

At Sol Betnun's music store in Hollywood and Lier's Music in San Berdoo there in the 1960s there were literally piles of strats and teles. They were not cool. This after the British Invasion when folks wanted Ricks and Gretsches but before Hendrix and Clapton were using strats.

dscottyg and BB like this.
  16. posttoastie

posttoastie Friend of Leo's

I saw Blackie,The Edge's Les Paul Custom and the SRV Strat at Guitar Center in San Bernardino about 10 years ago. Didn't even know the Guitars were on display. . Each one was in its own acrylic display case. There was a security guard there and no other customers were really there.
    I guess they moved the 3 cases to other stores on a road show. Edge's Les Paul Custom was very cool, the white had turned to yellow.
    I saw "Brownie" at Experience in Seattle. That place is worth a stop.

17. dogmeat

dogmeat Friend of Leo's

tele - Copy 1.gif

'53 and '57..... picture is about 1972. purchased these in '69 and '70. 75 bucks for the tele (missing the neck pup) and 125 for the strat. and yeah.... I did that to 'em. hey, they were just old guitars...

18. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I saw Blackie, Brownie also, and Clapton's ES335 at the Dallas Crossroads fest in 2004. They were about to be sold in the next few days I think.
    Man, Blackie was basically a husk! Well worn!

posttoastie and RadioFM74 like this.
  19. gitold

gitold Poster Extraordinaire

I had a buddy that drove down to Nashville in 1971 and came back with a bunch of Tele’s and Strats. He said he paid $100 bucks a piece and was trying to sell them for $250. I sure didn’t want one of them crummy beat up old guitars. Not interested ol buddy. I could get a new one for $250!

20. jays0n

jays0n Tele-Holic

Actually even in the 80s those old school guitars were super affordable. I got a Gibson Les Paul (sort of low end 70s model but still an actual Gibson) for something like $250 used. I had a really crap min wage job at the time, and was looking for just any ol guitar when I went in to this shop in Hollywood and came out with a Les Paul. Probably around 85 or 86

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.