1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Pile o’ Teles

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by d barham, Mar 5, 2021.

1. d barham

d barham Tele-Afflicted

408935A4-C57C-4DAF-AAB6-C64DDB708F0F.jpeg Back in the eighties a couple of buddies (tele guys) started a short lived music store venture. They went on a tele buying binge and ended up with quite a collection of pre cbs guitars. I knew this picture existed, but hadn’t seen it for almost 30 years. Ran across it the other day. Most are gone, a few remain.(I eventually ended up with the blonde ‘60 with the rosewood neck)

2. runstendt

runstendt Tele-Meister

I am both impressed and horrified by this picture.

3. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

Wow. Bunch O nice blondes there.

StrangerNY likes this.
  4. Telekarster

Telekarster Tele-Afflicted

Wow.... those were the days for sure... Glad you scored a 60 though! Wish I could say that today!

5. Denton

Denton Tele-Meister

What could you get pre CBS teles (and post CBS 60’s teles) for in the 80’s? I was not old enough to start buying stuff until 94

6. d barham

d barham Tele-Afflicted

not sure, but much less. I know that in that pile there is at least one ‘54 and at least one Tadeo tele. A good friend still owns the ‘54.

Steve Holt likes this.
  7. Tele-friend

Tele-friend Tele-Meister

Man, this photo is like having lots of bitcoins when their value was couple of hundred bucks :eek:

Steve Holt likes this.
  8. Telekarster

From what I remember, you couldn't hardly even give away 50's Les Paul Jr's. Classifieds were full of em in my local paper all the time for like 150-200? Pre-CBS Tele's and Strats, I remember prices of 400-800 ish depending on condition? If they were "road worn" as is called today, it was considered beat up and price reflected this. Buddy of mine bought one for around 2-300 on a deal and immediately began stripping it, sanding it, and painting it to look like VanHalen's guitar LOL! I had an op to buy a 55 Strat, mint and in its case, in the classic red and white with maple neck, for 500 back in 1988... didn't have the $ and been kickin' myself ever since cause that was a good deal then. I would later buy a 73 LP Custom for 400, played it for 10 years, sold it for 800 around 1999 and today it's worth???

9. Telekarster

Oh yeah... and one other story that might give you an idea - So... a buddy of mine about 1985 moved into a home he had purchased, and he was a bass player. He opened a closet and there sat a Fender bass in the corner! Not hidden at all, just simply the previous owner didn't want it and left it, nor did anyone else want it appearently. No case, just the bass. It was not in very good shape (being road worn and all...) so he decided to "refresh" it. I was there when he took it apart to do so, and I remember the date on the neck being 1959. When I knew him he probably repainted that guitar at least 4 times, changing the color to fit whatever mood he was in at the time ;) Keep in mind that 1959 was only 26 years ago, at that time, so these things were not really considered anything more than "used". I don't recall the word "vintage" ever being used back then, or even thought of as such...

10. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

I remember one time in 1983 I was walking down 48th St in NY, and We Buy Guitars had a hanging display of sunburst pre-CBS Strats going the full width of their storefront. Everything from '54 to '65. All heavily worn.

Telekarster likes this.
  11. glenlivet

glenlivet Tele-Afflicted

I just want to take my cloths off and jump in the pile....

cat101.png

*oh wait.....wrong picture .... wrong forum*

Great pic, not often you get to see that.

39martind18 and Telekarster like this.
  12. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Neato!

13. Antoon

Antoon Tele-Afflicted

Most of them still look shiny!

14. 39martind18

39martind18 Friend of Leo's

With my bank balance, I'll NEVER see that in person~:(

15. Old Plank

Old Plank Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I know orgies were prevalent in the cocaine '80's but wow!

16. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

I don’t know what y’all paid for them, but I guarantee it was less back before the internet made everyone an expert.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.