Pignose Amp Owners Club

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by rangercaster, Jun 12, 2009.

1. mistermullens

mistermullens Poster Extraordinaire

Proud new 7-100 owner and I love it! I play a lot of slide, and of course some blues, and this thing nails it. Killer harp amp too, although I can't play harmonica. I don't know if I'm going to be able to leave well enough alone seeing how easy it is to convert the preamp out to an external speaker out. Especially since I've got a 1x12 cab and a 4ohm 12" speaker just sitting at home.

BTW, the little piggy kills with an Esquire!

2. fender62custom

fender62custom Tele-Holic

Love the little Piggys!!:D cool shot!!

3. editorjuno

editorjuno Tele-Afflicted

Looking at the diagram, I foresee no problem -- the presence circuit isn't really part of the tone stack at all. I think my way of getting into loud and clean territory is better, though -- 12AT7s are notoriously noisy in preamp stages (I went through a bunch of them and only an NOS was quiet enough for the job). Check out my tube subs here: http://www.tdpri.com/forum/amp-owners-clubs/166390-pignose-g60vr-club.html#post4248859

4. simonc

simonc Friend of Leo's

After I sold off my last one due to a mysterious fizziness to the tone that I couldn't track down, Im back in the club, livin high on the hog :). Delivery just arrived today...Looking forward to getting home & crankin it up...Oh yeah its a 7-100 model!

5. gptco

gptco Tele-Meister

I'm in!

6. mistermullens

Anyone have the "Piggy In A Box?" I love the Pignose sound, might be the best fuzz ever, and I'm thinking about getting one of these? I've seen nice video of this unit into a 1x12 cab and it sounded pretty damn good. Anyone use it for that or as a pedal?

[​IMG]

7. simonc

simonc Friend of Leo's

I always thought that part of the fuzz tone was the fact that the 7-100 uses a ratty little 5" speaker, but I checked out the clips of this pedal / head, and it looks like its got the same sound, even through a 12" speaker cab....now I kinda wish I git one of these!

8. mistermullens

I thought the same thing about the speaker as well, but that's a pretty good video. These little "Piggy in a Box" are only $55 direct from Pignose. Not sure if you can get them any place else.

9. simonc

simonc Friend of Leo's

Well, I tried running the preamp out to my mustang 3, running a nice clean 57 deluxe patch, which I've got set fairly bright sounding....The pignose pretty much said " we'll have none of that!" and took over the proceedings. It DOES sound exactly like the 7-100 amp itself, although there isn't that, speaker is about to crap itself sound...I would've thought that there would be at least some of the mustangs sonic palate thrown in the mix, but if there was, I couldn't discern it.
    It is pretty lo-fi thats for sure. Nails early stooges sounds.

10. MrCairo46

MrCairo46 Friend of Leo's

Piggy Buddies

My Terrycaster with Pignose Stickers and a little Piggy

Attached Files:

11. mistermullens

I ran into something slightly similar. I've been working on a new song, and I needed an electric guitar part, but I couldn't quite get the sound I was looking for. When I first got my Pignose, I tried running it through all kinds of different things. Just couldn't get that sound. Well, I gave it another go last night because I just knew I could get what I wanted using my Pignose. I ended up running the Pig with the volume rolled back a bit on the amp through my Vibro Champ. The sound wasn't quite there with my current Vibro Champ settings, just a tad too bright, and didn't have that thick throatyness that Pignose sound. So I dimed the bass, and turned the treble all the way down on my Vibro Champ and there it was. That great Pignose sound coming through my Vibro Champ. Great night with the Pig! This has pretty much sealed the deal on me getting the "Piggy in a Box." It's no wonder these little amps are so popular!

12. simonc

simonc Friend of Leo's

I dont get what the push pull volume control is all about - I cant see any description on the pignose website about it...?
    Im thinking about rehousing the 7-100 in a cab with a 12" alnico weber...

13. mistermullens

From what I remember reading the push/pull acts as a tone knob, but not really. I think it just adds some high frequencies into the mix. I'm pretty sure I'll be ordering one once I sell off some gear so I'll be sure to give everyone the rundown.

14. BigD

BigD Friend of Leo's

Real cool, good for a toploader build.

15. angelodp

angelodp TDPRI Member

Got one

Hi, I have a nice old 7-100, but while it passes signal it has lots of crackle and noise. Been through the pots and jacks, caps, they are all fine. I see tow Toshiba transistors 2SB54 & 56. Does this seem to be common ailment for these units. Blown transistors? Anyone know what current types will work in there, maybe a radio shack stop.

16. Mike Bruce

Mike Bruce Friend of Leo's

Just got a 7-100-(R) used from my neighbour. I have no idea how old it is. What does the (R) stand for?

Pretty cool little amp. What about a speaker upgrade, is there a better speaker choice?

17. hoggy

hoggy TDPRI Member

7-100, i've had it since the 90's. using the volume on your guitar changes the sound.

18. mistermullens

I finally mic'd up my Pignose yesterday, and ran it through my small P.A., and what a great sound! Sounded really huge, and quite honestly, awesome! I'm definitely going to consider this for gigs on a couple of songs. Fun!

19. jchapek

jchapek NEW MEMBER!

Pignose 7-100 wiring

Would it be possible for anybody on the forum to send a picture of the wiring set-up underneath the battery holder which has the ¼ guitar jack and the on and off switch. A few of the wires came loose and I am not sure how to solder them back correctly. A wiring diagram does me know good since it doesn’t call out any wire colors and I don’t have the experience to read them properly , so a picture would be worth a million words as they say.
    Thank you in advance.
    Jchapek

20. Newzpix

Newzpix TDPRI Member

I have a mid-70's 7-100. I think she's lost a bit of volume tho'.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.