Pignose Amp Owners Club

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by rangercaster, Jun 12, 2009.

1. Trés Mellow

Trés Mellow TDPRI Member

2. DOGMA Dunn

DOGMA Dunn Friend of Leo's

I just re-discoverd the legendary 7-100 amp while browsing the youtube and remembered that I once owned one in the late 70s. Recently, while in Las Vegas I visited the factory and met Howard Chatt the president of pignose amps and who was one of the original founders of the pignose company. Nice guy. He filled me in on some of the history of the amp and the company. This is one great little piggy of an amp. It has the touch dynamics that other solid state amps lack. It seems to be built the same as the old ones, nothing has changed over the past 39 years. According to Howard he wants to continue to keep the design and sound of the amp the same as it was when they designed it back in the day. After all, it is one of the historic amps.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also found that if you use a 9V one spot power supply with 1700mA it will make the amp buzz (too much current I guess). However a 9V power supply with 300mA it will work with no problems. Man, I love this little amp. Is it true, Eric Clapton auctioned off his pignose for $8000? I guess these little piggies are like mopeds; it's fun to ride, but you don't want people to see you ride one.

3. Feral Hymns

Feral Hymns Tele-Holic

I've been a big fan of Pignose for a while now. I currently own a 90's 7-100 and a Piggy-in-a-box as well as the Detonator pedals.

Has anyone here ever ran their 7-100 as a preamp with a power amp? I'd like to try it eventually but don't have the money to buy a proper power amp.

4. hiero

hiero Tele-Meister

OK - Two elements to my post...

I bought my G40V after an ex pro I was talking to told me the only two valve (tube) amps worth anything were the Pignose G40Vand a Peavey Classic 20 (the rarer version of the 30). I had just bought a new 59 Bassman LTD at the time. The Bassman looks, smells feels sublime, but is too freaking ice-pick shrill when wound up and painfully loud - I mean OUCH! It also developed a terminal, irreparable fault and went back under warranty. So I got a new old stock G40V as advised in interim/handback. I was able therefore to A/B the Pig to the 59 and bugger me - the Pig is THE BETTER BASSMAN! Sounds just like a warm Bassman - the actual tone I wanted from the Bassman in the first place. It can't do the 4x10 swirl - nothing can, but I have a trick that, that comes close... another day's post maybe!!

I had a few email exchanges with Howard at Pignose and got some good background to the marque. A trick you 7 series Trannie users may have not learned is to use your little pig as a PRE AMP... this was used extensively in 70s when they arrived on the scene. In the link below, you can see it being used live in the Little Feet clip, on top of guitarist Paul Barrere's Fender Super Reverb stack... look to point 2:14

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9QxFWnUMCI&feature=related

5. burtonfan

burtonfan Tele-Afflicted

I bought my first 7-100 last fall as a b-day present to myself. I've played it very little...I can't get it away from my son!! Cool amp!

6. MN Punk

MN Punk Tele-Holic

I just scored a G40V off eBay for a price I couldn't say no to. A little scuffed, but in good shape and with metal traps over all the tubes, which is nice.

I A/B'd it against my ZT Lunchbox "stack" (two 6.5" speakers), and here are my thoughts:

1. The G40V seems to have a little more clean headroom than the "200W" solid-state ZT
    2. The open-back speaker in the G40V has no balls at all. The ZT absolutely crushed it in terms of bass and low-mid response.
    3. Shoddy workmanship. That input jack has gotta go.

After experimenting with a couple speaker options and some different tubes I had lying around, I'm finding that 90% of my dissatisfaction with the over-trebly sound of this thing comes down to that speaker. The cheap 12AX7B preamp tubes actually seem to do the job rather well.

Anyway, I'm making this my new "bench project" for this Winter. My plans include:

1. New speaker. I've kind of got my eye on the Jenson 10-100 Neo. I'm open to suggestions, though.
    2. New input jack.
    3. Liberal application of contact cleaner to everything, especially the pots.
    4. (I realize this is blasphemy to Piggie fans): Strip off the brown vinyl cover and replace with a pretty wool velvet. I'm thinking either purple or this black-and-red mix stuff that I saw last time I was at the fabric store.
    5. New grill to protect the fancy new speaker and dress it up a bit.

When I'm finally done (which could be a few weeks away), I'll be sure to post some pics and maybe a sound-clip or two.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2012
  7. tele1

tele1 Tele-Meister

I have 3 little pigs

7/100's brown one, black one, tweed one....

8. MN Punk

MN Punk Tele-Holic

After spending some time monkeying with it, both on its own and through various other cabs I have in the house, I've decided to swap in a bass speaker instead. I realize I won't QUITE get the frequency response of a proper bass cab since it's an open-back combo, but I'm convinced this little beauty could make a decent bass amp in a pinch, and it generally seems to sound better through a bass speaker when playing guitar as well.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2012
  9. Jazzy Jay

Jazzy Jay Tele-Meister

I have an old 7-100 from the seventies that stopped working a long time ago. I has been sitting on a shelf in my music room ever since. Do you guys think I should I have it repaired, or isn't it worth the cost?

10. Feral Hymns

Feral Hymns Tele-Holic

Does anyone know if there is a difference between the 30.60 and the 60R Studio Reverb?

Edit - After looking around the wattage is difference and the Studio Reverb has well, reverb hah. Other wise they look about the same.

How much of a difference would the added 30watts translate to in a jam/live setting?

Last edited: Jan 25, 2012
  11. scottymokan

scottymokan TDPRI Member

Just picked up a 7-100 from the pawn shop yesterday. I love it!

12. chulaivet1966

chulaivet1966 Tele-Afflicted

Whaddya know....I got a mid 70's 7-100 also....small world.
    It will probably outlive me.

Carry on...

13. dazzypig

dazzypig Tele-Meister

Can I join?

[​IMG]

Don't know how to date them but this ones pretty old. Love my Pignose though, anyone who doesn't have a 7-100 needs one.

14. squatch

squatch Tele-Meister

I used to have two 30/60's that I ran in stereo, but sold one of 'em
    They were always the most 'valvey' sounding trannie amp back in the day,
    I think the stock speaker helped get that vintagey sound as well
    Mine's still going well...it needs a new input jack, and it's one of those
    surface mounted jacks so it's a bit of a hassle..I'll do it one day

Thanks hiero, for putting my favourite youtube clip up
    I saw Little Feat that year in Sydney...they were really at their peak

here's a pic 'o my pork with some others...not a great pic, but..

[​IMG]

15. TexasTwang

TexasTwang Tele-Meister

when did pignose stop making the 7-100 in the usa? are the first 2 numbers in the serial # the year of production? thanks!

16. bad radio

bad radio TDPRI Member

WARNING - new guy :D

I have a G40V modded to take a 12AT7 in V2 instead of the stock 12AX7. Got this mod from Guitarnuts here: http://www.guitarnuts.com/amps/g40v/index.php

I did the second mod as well where he replaces the R11 resistor with a 1.5k. That way it can take a 12AT7 in V1 if I want and be a super clean amp even at higher volumes.

I saw PraiseCaster's thread on his modded Pignose. I really like the idea of modding that presence circuit to give it more sweep. Does anyone know if the 12AT7 mods I've already done would interfere with that? The Guitarnuts mod says it makes both V1 and V2 interchangeable between 12AT7s and 12AX7s. It looks like it should have no effect on the presence mod, but I'd love to have a little more info before I try to do it.

17. Feral Hymns

Feral Hymns Tele-Holic

Maybe an odd question but does anyone know if something like the Optimus/Realistic/Radio Shack MPA250 would work in conjunction with a Pignose 7-100?

The MPA250 is a stereo power amp. Would I need two pre-amps for it to work or is there where the whole bridgeable thing comes in? I'm assuming any power amp should work. I'm thinking a decent tube one maybe be a good companion for the 7-100.

I have the opportunity to pick one up on the cheap though, the MPA250. Im' wanting to run the Pignose in louder settings with out having to go to a board or in some cases where a board isn't available.

I've been wanting to do a rack mount 7-100 for a while now. If i rehoused it and used it strictly as a preamp would I be able to leave the "internal" speaker out of the equation?

I'm figuring I can maintain a clean tone with it if I crank the power amp more then the preamp. Any tips would be great though. If I works out well enough I'll look into getting a single space rack case.

18. jipp

jipp Friend of Leo's

well after a little trouble. first attempt at buying a older 1997 pignose. arrived busted. thankfully seller was cool. refunded the money, told me to keep the amp. maybe i can fix it down the road. with the money, i just went ahead and bought the tweed version. thinking if i got the brown one working i would not have two of the same color etc. also since the tweed is suppose to be a collector item i figure maybe little more attention to detail? hah, probably foolish thinking on my part. here is the family. personally i think the black one is the rare one? iv only seen one. was thinking it was just a bad picture but i asked the seller and sure enough it was black.. missed out on that..black pignose would be cool to match the set assuming i can fix the broken brown one.
    well family photo shot.
    chris.

now its time to hack the roland micro amp.

Attached Files:

19. ElmoZappa

ElmoZappa TDPRI Member

I have 3- 60R combo's, 1-30/60 head, 2-150R Crossmix combo's. The 30/60 has no 'verb, and sounds more twangy, less gainey. The 60R's are a more full sounding, but they are still shy of jam volume- the volume just doesn't jump enough. However, there are secrets to get these to open up. EQ in the loop. Hot pickups, ceramics. (Also went overboard with a BBE, but after 2 years removed it and eq'd a bit more)
    Run a line out into a JC120 with a pinch of chorus and you WILL poop in yer shorts. Thanks forever oldschoolwax for leaving it in Ben's basement.
    FYI: my orig. 60R is my fav tone ever. Got it hooked up to a Carvin FET400 power amp into 2 Mesa/Boogie 2x12's.
    I'll put it up a against any Marshall, any day.
    One day when I can figure out how to do the youtube thing, people are gonna just dump in their pants.

20. editorjuno

editorjuno Tele-Afflicted

Veteran G40V (and, some day, G60VR) modder here. I tamed this Piggy into the best amp I own -- and I own an early SF Twin with JBLs. One more mod to do and she'll be even better, waiting on a part and a break in this heat wave to do it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.