Pignose Amp Owners Club

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by rangercaster, Jun 12, 2009.

1. simonc

simonc Friend of Leo's

I've got one that I love (7-100), after seeing Frank Zappa play thru one in a clip on youtube, it was a no brainer :).

Got a question though, mine seems to have a buzzing sound after each note, doesn't sound like a mechanical rattling or anything, more like an electrical buzzing, as the note decays.
    anyone else have this? is there a fix? Its a new one btw, not a 70's model.

2. adifferentbreed

adifferentbreed Tele-Afflicted

Mine has never done that.........had it for a couple of years now. Maybe something to do with the other gear?

3. Steve Harvell

Steve Harvell TDPRI Member

4. eshack

eshack TDPRI Member

Hi VOODOOFIRE---I'd love to know the specific SIZE & model of your JENSON MOD SPEAKER--I'd love to put one in my lil Pignose-I'm guessing it's a 5inch Jenson speaker??

---Here's a tip, In case you all havn't tried, BUT put your lil Pignose in an empty 5 gallon bucket & it increases the BASS & it's a nice carry-all for your amp & distortion pedal...

5. Chris Winsemius

Chris Winsemius Tele-Meister

Me too, modern battery powered one.

(Did also have a 70s one but I do prefer the "fresher" new one)

6. mattdean4130

mattdean4130 Tele-Afflicted

Just got mine a few weeks ago, both my '09 valve jr head and '89 fender super 210 valve amps have taken a back seat in my unit to this little bad boy! No more hating neighbours, and awesome dirty blues noodling for me!! I'll have to post some pics!

7. winesoaked

winesoaked TDPRI Member

7-100 serial number 15977

8. tombm3

tombm3 Tele-Holic

Are you running power via a battery or the Pignose power supply?

9. winesoaked

winesoaked TDPRI Member

@tombm3 if you are confident start looking at the speaker, just loose the 4 bolts around it and look if there are some marks or cuts in the paper. I hope it's not but that sounds like a speaker defeat.

10. gvidelock

gvidelock TDPRI Member

Makes my Tele sing...

I'm in with a modified GV40. I put it in a cabinet I made with a Weber 12". I also did some of the mods from online sources and changed the power tubes to KT-66's (I had to slightly modify the location of one of the sockets to accomodate the larger tube). It sounds so good that it's my main amp for rehearsal.

Attached Files:

11. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Put a delay pedal in front of it, if you haven't already. They really do have a great "urgent" OD tone.

When the batteries are getting low they start getting fizzy, like the speaker is bad, and they can eat up batteries. Make sure to unplug when not playing.

12. Danjo1

Danjo1 TDPRI Member

I absolutely love the sound of my 7-100. I use it constantly for small rooms or rehearsals. Other people are always blown away by it.

13. Mark Moore

Mark Moore Tele-Afflicted

On my second 7-100.

14. onewhiteduck

onewhiteduck Tele-Meister

Really loving the G40V my GF got me for Christmas! Just swapped the tubes to Winged C 6L6, Tung Sol 12AX7 in V1/V2, and a JAN Philips 5751 for PI, which really smoothed things out. Made a bunch of clips a couple of days ago before the full tube swap (for these clips Tung Sols were in V1/V2, and a Sovtek LPS V3).

15. onewhiteduck

I love the G40V rehouses you guys all did! Must sound awesome in a bigger cab. :cool:

16. onewhiteduck

Any G40V owners get an occasional *pop* noise? After about 30 minutes of playing, I usually get one pretty loud pop from the amp, regardless of what pre/power tubes I have in it. Must be heat related?

17. Rick330man

Rick330man Tele-Afflicted

I picked up a G40V several years ago. Bought a second one to give to my brother as a gift. With minor tweaks, the G40 sounds great.

The stock power tubes were not matched. The stock pre-amp tubes were Shuguangs, but noisy as heck. This fatal combination gave me an amp that hummed and buzzed like crazy when I first took out of the box and plugged it in. To make matters worst that first time, I soon realized that the stock speaker is an evil tone killer.

Stick an NOS 5751 in V1. The G40 has too much up front gain with a 12AX7. Also, the NOS 5751s were very good quality tubes...no noise. I've got a JJ ECC83 in V2 and another 5751 in V3. The G40 takes real well to SED or JJ 6L6GCs, but one JJ 6L6GC died while in service of the G40. Replaced the speaker with an Eminence Legend 105.

I always point a fan at it when playing. Without a fan, I'd worry about the amount of heat it generates and retains...which is plenty.

With these modest tweaks, it is an amazingly good sounding little amp.

18. Merscury

Merscury TDPRI Member

Here's my G40V, The custom cab was made by myself, it's covered in red & cream leather with cream piping, Inside are two 12" celestion G12 8ohm 100w speakers connected to the 4 ohm output of the amp. I modified the Heater voltage to 6.3v DC and fitted a 330k resister to the input of V1, replaced the knobs with domed telecaster style and replaced the on off switch with a heavy duty toggle type, Finally I dumped the Chinese valves and fitted an EH 5751 in V1, Tung-Sol 12ax7 in V2 & V3 and Tung-Sol 6L6GC STR in the outputs.

Attached Files:

• 005.jpg
      005.jpg
      File size:
      88 KB
      Views:
    • 006.jpg
      006.jpg
      File size:
      91.2 KB
      Views:
    • 009.jpg
      009.jpg
      File size:
      42 KB
      Views:
    Fiesta Red likes this.
  19. 3 Chord

3 Chord Friend of Leo's

I appologize for the late response but I must say, fantastic job on this one!

20. Merscury

Merscury TDPRI Member

Many thanks, I have now removed the EH 5751 from V1 & fitted another tungsol 12ax7 in there too, The tungsols are so smooth it sounds perfect. I now use it as my main amp instead of the Marshall jcm900 iv'e had for years.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.