Pignose Amp Owners Club

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by rangercaster, Jun 12, 2009.

1. Unclejam

Unclejam TDPRI Member

Ok, so your post above was 6 years ago but could you elaborate on your mods please? (Assuming you went ahead?)
    Cheers Chris (G60VR)

2. Rockfish66

Rockfish66 TDPRI Member

Hi all-
    I know this are is kind of dormant, but I recently bought a tweed 7-100 and after figuring out the power supply buzz issue thanks to everyone here, i have another question. My 7-100 has a "fizz" sound at every volume with every guitar I've tried (sc, p90,hb) it d] It sounds like someone has a cranked fuzz pedal way down in the mix.
    Any thoughts? Going to to return it otherwise as there are n clean tones at all.

3. Tele22

Tele22 Tele-Meister

Did you try turning the volume on the Pignose up, and the volume on your guitar way down? Then you can control the gain with the guitar‘s volume knob.

4. Dauntless

Dauntless Tele-Meister

Are you using a grounded outlet? ;)

5. Rockfish66

Rockfish66 TDPRI Member

Thanks Tele22. This is not breakup/distortion. It's a sonic artifact that happens at every level of amp and guitar volume, even down to a whisper.
    Dauntless, the sound happens on batteries too, so it's not an outlet/power issue. It's also not a 60hz hum.
    It also only occurs when a note is played - you can hear it as the note decays. It's not there otherwise.
    Pretty sure its a problem with the speaker or in the circuit. I was just wondering if its a normal thing, given how cheap the amp is. But nobody else seems to have it.

I think this little piggy's going back home..

Dauntless likes this.
  6. ex-pig

ex-pig TDPRI Member

Just joining in here! I'm a former G40V owner, and I'm sorry! Will, one day, have another. My question is this....I am cabinetmaker/carpenter, and have been asked to re-tolex an old 'piggy' for a friend. Where can I find the correct tolex/vinyl/whatever to do the job? Can't seem to find it in the usual places. Any help would be most gratefully appreciated. Thanks!

7. Pasta Player

Pasta Player Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Direct answer to your query:
    I don’t know… but if you or your friend are dead set on staying “true” to the original covering -
    you might contact Howard Chatt @ Pignose in Vegas. I believe that all email correspondence
    goes directly to Mr. Chatt anyway.

Is it a G40 or is it a 7-100 (“Legendary”)?
    I usually use other materials when recovering the 7-100’s.

Next re-build here will be using carbon fiber vinyl, like this recent Maxi-Mouse
    …AND I plan to “re-cab” a Pignose 7-100, using thicker wooden cabinet materials.

s-l1600.png

ex-pig likes this.
  8. ex-pig

ex-pig TDPRI Member

Thanks for the lead! I haven't seen the 'pig' in question, and didn't ask. I'd like to stay as close to the original color as I can, and I've only seen 'orange bronco' or some so-so shades of 'tan'....but none of them thrill me. All the best!

9. Railway Ritchie

Railway Ritchie TDPRI Member

Hi, any news on speaker replacement and the underlaying fizz? ( had a black Limited Edition, gave it away because of this)

Grtz from the Netherlands.

10. Pasta Player

Pasta Player Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

As for ex-pig’s Quest-For-Brown… Google “brown tolex” or perhaps more accurately… “brown naugahyde” to more closely match original Pignose covering. Happy hunting!

Have yet to experience the fizz here - that I have heard mentioned many times - although I’ve had about a dozen of the 7-100’s though here this year and no fizz yet.

IMO the best direct speaker replacement for the Pignose 7-100 is the Jensen MOD 5/30. Have tested one inside and then built an extension cab to house it so that it could also be shared with a Dwarf amp. (Too cheap / thrifty to buy two, so far.)

JEN530.png
    (Jensen inside)

The other possible speaker options here were: the Visaton FR 13 (8Ω) which would have lined up well with the exisiting speaker mount posts and it had broader frequency response ratings over the second Visaton speaker choice… The Visaton BG 13 P (also 8Ω) which requires some adaptation for installation. (Mount holes are closer together.)

VTs.png

NOTE: Visaton website notes that the FR 13 (8Ω) is no longer available (only the 4Ω version is still available.) So, I’ll be using a mount-adapted BG 13 P in the re-cabbed Pignose 7-100 mentioned in previous post. Sacrificing lower-end response and typical distortion at higher volumes, but much less expensive than the Jensen or the actual replacement speaker from Pignose.

Maybe I’ll drop Visaton a note about the "no longer available" 8Ω FR 13?:rolleyes:

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.