Pignose Amp Owners Club

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by rangercaster, Jun 12, 2009.

1. DAVIS T. BONE

DAVIS T. BONE TDPRI Member

Pignose 7 100

Had mine for decades and thought it was nothing special. Guess I was wrong. The serial number is 0825.

2. billmag

billmag TDPRI Member

Just became a 'Vintage' owner of a Pignose 7-100....definitely a late 1970's model. The previous owner peeled off the red/blue/silver tag and this one didn't have the date stamped on the wood. The only way I know it's a 1970's model is by the circuit design (transistors attached to the sides of the metal cover over the audio transformers), patent pending sticker above the cord reel handle, and the grill cloth only (no metal grill backing). Love the sound outta' this one as compared to the newer ones....:D

3. TeleTexas

TeleTexas Tele-Meister

I'm in with a 7-100, bought used today. Gonna research the serial number and see if it's old enuff to drink.

4. Phatcracker

Phatcracker NEW MEMBER!

Pignose 7-100

Just found this at a garage sale for $2... Has a few wires that are not attached. One lt yellow about 3 in long is not attached at all. the black grnd wire on the plug in the rear is not attached to board or where ever it goes. There is a red wire that is attached on the board on the end with a 5 above it. Not sure where it goes but am guessing maybe to the red post of the 9v input jack??? There is already one wire attach so I am thinking it may also?

Can anyone help or send me a pic that shows wiring color scheme? Or give me a clue....

Attached Files:

5. Tee1

Tee1 Tele-Meister

I recently acquired a late 80s 7-100. It's very different to my current/newer model. For a start it's way louder, i mean really noticeable. It also seems a bit more open, frequency-wise, more top and bottom end, while the newer one seems all in the mids and quite compressed. While the newer one starts to get fuzzy from about half way up on the volume, the older one doesn't go to all out fuzz until quite close to the end of the dial.
    I can only assume that this late 80s model is a little bit more like the earlier/pre '82 models.

6. zippie

zippie TDPRI Member

hey tee1,

do you think some of the difference might be due to speaker break in?

i just ordered a new one. hoping to get some good usabale tones with my archtop. can.t wait to try it!

7. Tee1

Tee1 Tele-Meister

Hi Zippie. I think i'd put it down to different parts & components used. Speaker break in could make a slight difference, but this is night and day. I'm not saying either one is bad, just quite different.

8. zippie

zippie TDPRI Member

Ok, got my pig!

So, the good news: one of the reasons i wanted this was to use it as a mp3 player and i have to say it sounds pretty good. i'm using in my little off the grid cabin so i wanted something small and that would last a while on batteries. its not the greatest thing on earth, but it does the job. i just can't spend 200 or 300 hundred bucks on a tiny amp.

the bad news: i'm getting that underlying fizz on some notes (but only with the guitar, not with the mp3s ??!

it seems to come and go and keeping the cab closed seems to help a bit. i'm playing a gretsch hollowbody with a floating hb. if i set the pig's volume to about 1/4 way up, i can get some nice clean notes but no clean chords. but that's ok, as i kinda like the low-fi vibe, and i especially like the small size and weight..and price!

so i'm not sure i can live with the fizz. guess i'll play around with it for a few days till i decide. anybody have suggestions? (besides get a deluxe reverb!!! haha)

cheers!

9. adifferentbreed

adifferentbreed Tele-Afflicted

Try turning the guitar volume down and the Pignose up.

10. zippie

zippie TDPRI Member

thanks for that. but sorry, should have mentioned that, yes , i've tried it in lots of different settings, tone also.

i have to say, even at 1/4 volume on the pig and my guitar turned down, its still plenty loud for my purposes.

11. Shugga

Shugga NEW MEMBER!

New owner of a Pignose 7-100, woot. This thing is fun with the case open. My Tele, and PRS P90 just howl with this baby. Mine is not the older one, but sounds good.

Fiesta Red likes this.
  12. Anode100

Anode100 Friend of Leo's

Love my little Piggy 7-100.

Bought second-hand from ebay a couple of years ago, and it's my go-to amp, since my 100w head is a little bit too loud for domestic use.

The clean tone is stellar, and it plays well with whatever fuzz / OD I happen to be using that day.

13. HotRodSteve

HotRodSteve Friend of Leo's

Just ordered a Pignose 7-100 from Sweetwater so I'll be in the club when the Fedex guy drops it off. How different are these new Chinese amps compared to the old USA models?

14. jipp

jipp Friend of Leo's

welcome. they are a lot of fun. chris.

15. HotRodSteve

HotRodSteve Friend of Leo's

Received my new7-100 today and I am in love with it.

16. Tee1

Tee1 Tele-Meister

This is what i do with my Tele. Amp always on full and roll back for a clean sound and roll up for dirt. I put a Belle Epoch in front of it, with a nice slap back and it sounds much bigger than it is.

17. koolkarlnz

koolkarlnz NEW MEMBER!

I just got a pignose today :) amazing sound, I love the thing, one question however, as the amp is second hand and is missing the serial number I still want to date it. It was made in hong kong so perhaps if anyone knows the year production of pignose legendary 7-100s started in hong kong that would be great!

18. jipp

jipp Friend of Leo's

you could email Howard at pignose he/or someone will help im sure of it from the customer service i received on a vintage California piggie.. i email him asking to buy a part.. and he sent me the part free. and this was from a vintage amp i bought. i have 2 piggies, one from the 70s in cali.. and the other the tweed. apparently they have a white one, and a black one too, and the tweed.. only colors iv seen so far.
    i was surprised by the customer service for a amp that was bought in the 70s..

also these do not like humbuckers.. they love single coil.. thats my experience anyhow.. piggie!
    chris.

19. billiemorini

billiemorini Tele-Meister

Q. How are Pig Nose amps like Sara Lee cake?
    A. Like Sara Lee, nobody doesn't like a Pig Nose amp.

Way back in 1978, my talented electric guitar playing buddy at our community college did something unique. He removed the amp, speakers and batteries from his Pig Nose. Then he installed them in a little cubby in his guitar case. This way, he only needed to put his guitar in case and go. Once he arrived, he'd plug his guitar into his case and play the Pig Nose installed within the case. It was a novel modification!

20. birdmove

birdmove TDPRI Member

I recently picked up a new Piggie in a Box, and a little Randall 8" speaker cabinet. Pretty good combination. I got the cabinet dirt cheap on the day Amazon's price on them nose dived. Makes a fun little amp/speaker setup.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.