Pignose Amp Owners Club

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by rangercaster, Jun 12, 2009.

1. Jeremy Blaze

Jeremy Blaze Tele-Meister

Another G40V owner here.

Mine is stock other then the Tubes, installed some Electro Harmonics units a year or so ago.

I am thinking about building a bigger cab for mine, or making it just a head unit, and building a big cab. Also want to modify it to make the precense knob more useful.

Overall great amp with lots of head room for me.

2. bluezguy

bluezguy Tele-Meister

Battery Packs Needed. Waz About 9Volt?

Greetings fellow Pignoserz :lol:!!

I've had my 7-100-(R) for a number of years and it has stopped working in battery mode as the connections have rotted off right at the terminal joints in both black plastic battery packs.

The Pignose website doesn't sell a parts solution. Do any of yaz know where one could buy new replacement ones??

Secondly, do you think ONE 9Volt battery would do the same job if I replace all 6 - 1.5V without doing any harm? I mean, nine volts is 9 volts in this case isn't it??
    I suppose I could try it but, I'd rather hear from anyone who has tried it first. It seems to me that one 9v battery would be cheaper than buying 6 - 1.5v and, a 9v battery clip which would screw right in place of the black plastic one is peanuts in price.

3. Newzpix

Newzpix TDPRI Member

I have a 1974 7-100 fuzzy tone machine. image-2047505340.jpg Eric Clapton with his 7-100

4. Johns62312

Johns62312 TDPRI Member

I just received a Pignose 7-100 and it seems to have the same problem that somebody else brought up on here about a underlying distortion behind the notes even when it is just barely turned up. The preamp out does the same thing into another amp so I know it's not the speaker. I see the Pignose Industries website has been suspended, does anybody have the email address that was on there. Anybody else have a problem like this. I have a real old one in a shed at my brother's house and I don't remember it doing this.

5. Lazerface

Lazerface Tele-Holic

I believe this would work, but it seems to me that if you're using it a lot, the 6AA batteries will last longer than a single 9v and be cheaper in the long run.

6. shanghaitele

shanghaitele TDPRI Member

That is his sound....

7. Johns62312

Johns62312 TDPRI Member

Would anyone know what year a 7-100 would be with serial #4021? I just dug this out of a shed where it's been for about 20 years. It has a really bad static noise and I believe it's probably one of the transistors. I cleaned the volume pot and it still does it. Anybody know what's going on with the pignose website? I was just on it the other day and now it says it's been suspended. Anyone have their phone # or email address.

8. MrCairo46

MrCairo46 Friend of Leo's

Oink oink !!!!!!

gotta Pig and a US Blues Hatbox amp

9. mudshark

mudshark Friend of Leo's

7-100 here...i dig the pig

10. Johns62312

Johns62312 TDPRI Member

Howard at Pignose just emailed and told me that serial# 4021 is a 1972 model.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2014
  11. Johns62312

Johns62312 TDPRI Member

So I heated up the board with a hair dryer and the static went away for a little bit. I thought I would touch a solder gun on each transistor one at a time and tried the first stage first and the static went away. Played it for about a hour and it's still good. I think I like the sound of the new one better but that might not be a fair comparison since the old one doesn't have the original speaker in it. I think I picked that one up at Radio Shack 20 some years ago. Sure would like to have a new replacement board to put in.

12. SeeMoore

SeeMoore NEW MEMBER!

New to the forum and new owner of the G40V.

Got mine last week, used it at a gig that night, first 30 minuets were great, loved the tones I was getting, then the volume starts dropping, sound gets very distorted, please tell me it's just tubes!

13. Telesavalis

Telesavalis Friend of Leo's

+1

14. Tee1

Tee1 Tele-Meister

You mean its sound? Then why have i heard 7-100s which don't make this fizz?

15. SeeMoore

SeeMoore NEW MEMBER!

Replaced the tubes, replaced the speaker, still have the same problem, low volume, distorted sound.

Could it be transformers???

16. Dauntless

Dauntless Tele-Meister

If I remember right, didn't the G40Vs have problems with their output transformers? :eek:
    I remember a few people having to change out their OTs.

17. Jeremy Blaze

Jeremy Blaze Tele-Meister

^ yeah, mine had it replaced.

18. RayG

RayG TDPRI Member

This is true. I think the voltage of 6 AAs (1.5v each) matches the 9v. Anyway, it works. I did this to a 7-100 which I got from someone who was getting rid of it because it sat for decades with AAs in it. Corrosion everywhere. I couldn't find the right 3xAA parts locally, so I just put a 9v in there. A clip on one side for the battery I'm using, and a clip on the other side for a spare 9v, because, yes, the 9v batteries won't last as long as the AAs.

19. Newzpix

Newzpix TDPRI Member

Dating a vintage Pignose. Remove the black metal shield over the electronics - 4 screws. Lift it back - wires go thru an opening in it so be careful. The date your amp was born should be stamped on the wood and visable. I had to loosen two screws anchoring the board to see the year.

Attached Files:

20. napalmbbq

napalmbbq TDPRI Member

Officially a member of the Pignose club as of a week ago. Picked up a G60VR last Friday for $128 at a local pawn shop. To my great fortune she came with Winged C tubes throughout, and she sounds outstanding. I'm shopping around for an alnico speaker and new knobs.

Here she is.
    http://i.imgur.com/TrqIpLl.jpg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.