pig brains, duck tongues, and other delicacies.

yegbert

Poster Extraordinaire
By head cheese, I’m assuming you mean hoghead cheese. Which incidentally, the way my family has made it, includes no actual dairy cheese; and only the lean and gelatinous parts from a hog’s head - nothing that many might think scrappy like brain, eyes, or tongue. The meat was thoroughly cooked and then ground. The gelatinous part caused the mixture to become solid when chilled, and we ate it as a cold cut. Incidentally, it would fall apart (as the gelatin heats) if cooked. My brother now makes it with only Boston Butt (a cut from the shoulder of a hog) with pigs feet for the gelatin; using no actual head, which could be harder to find and a chore to prepare.

I didn’t like the commercially prepared hoghead cheese I’ve had. I’ve tried it and found it woefully short of good lean meat. Know any place that makes some that is good?

I‘d think about shoving an LP down my pants (left side) for some good hoghead cheese right now!

johnny k

Poster Extraordinaire
By head cheese, I’m assuming you mean hoghead cheese. Which incidentally, the way my family has made it, includes no actual dairy cheese; and only the lean and gelatinous parts from a hog’s head - nothing that many might think scrappy like brain, eyes, or tongue. The meat was thoroughly cooked and then ground. The gelatinous part caused the mixture to become solid when chilled, and we ate it as a cold cut. Incidentally, it would fall apart (as the gelatin heats) if cooked. My brother now makes it with only Boston Butt (a cut from the shoulder of a hog) with pigs feet for the gelatin; using no actual head, which could be harder to find and a chore to prepare.

I didn’t like the commercially prepared hoghead cheese I’ve had. I’ve tried it and found it woefully short of good lean meat. Know any place that makes some that is good?

I‘d think about shoving an LP down my pants (left side) for some good hoghead cheese right now!
yes that is what i meant. boil the head of the pig, get the meat, and add some gelatins.

Duck Herder

Tele-Meister
There's a lot of America that isn't close enough to the sea to have consistent supplies of fresh seafood.
Majority of seafood gets frozen on the ship after processing so it shouldn't be any more difficult to ship than bananas or any other food items.
Most people who live in the interior just aren't in the habbit of eating seafood, and it's a little more difficult to prepare properly.
Ordered fish and chips in Montana once. Big mistake!

loopfinding

Friend of Leo's
Well you could just eat Oreos for breakfast lunch and dinner.

Dunno I mean, I live in a country that has outright rejected homeopathy officially, pushes for a legal ban, and incidentally ranks as the top healthiest country pretty consistently on different indices (including WHO's). Also 6th highest life expectancy in the world.

I think countries with poorer dietary choices/options and crappier health systems go a little overboard with the DIY health stuff. We seem to be getting things pretty right here in Spain just doing what we always have been doing + maintaining a good healthcare system.

Last edited:

Bendyha

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I'm keen on trying pigs snouts after reading about them, but haven't done so yet. Anyone here had them, and if so, how did you prepare them?
ps.PNG

Duck Herder

Tele-Meister
Dunno I mean, I live in a country that has outright rejected homeopathy officially, pushes for a legal ban, and incidentally ranks as the WHO’s top healthiest country pretty consistently. Also 6th highest life .
I live in a country where I can make my own food choices based on what's right for me and don't worry too much about what other people do for their health. Averages are interesting but they don't tell us much without knowing the median and the mean.
I do know most people here suffer from joint problems because they don't eat bone broth.
Funny how many people view health as a collective thing rather than an individual thing.

old soul

Tele-Holic
I missed my chance to try iguana while in central America a few years ago. I have eaten some weird stuff. Softshell turtle eggs, rattlesnake, various assortments of innards, etc. I just dont like any livers