pig brains, duck tongues, and other delicacies.

Telekarster

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
I’m pretty much game to try food from other cultures, and do whenever the opportunity presents itself, but it might be best to not know what some of that stuff is until after I decide I like it.

I draw the line at open pit cooked giant spider.... :lol: LOL!!! Giant sea spiders are good though ;)

Duck Herder

Tele-Meister
Kidneys - totally disgusting tasting.

Stomach/tripe - it’s not gross but it just doesn’t taste like anything, why bother.
Homeopathy is the reason to eat tripe, it's good for your stomach. Not kidding

It sounds like the kidneys you ate weren't prepared properly. Dad told me as a wee lad that the proper way to prepare kidney is to boil the piss out of them! 🤪

loopfinding

Friend of Leo's

It actually isn’t very likely. Calamari isn’t totally a staple thing on a lot of Italian menus in Italy, unless you are in a seafood region. IIRC, one of the reasons for its rise in ubiquity in US Italian restaurants in the 80s and 90s was that there was a surplus of cheap squid on the eastern seaboard.

If the OG incentive was economic, it’s not a delicacy, so it doesn’t make too much sense it would be swapped. Besides, you can tell something that came from the sea right away unless you don’t have tastebuds or have never eaten seafood - there is no saltwater nothing that doesn’t taste like it.

Last edited:

Nicko_Lps

Tele-Meister
I am not saying i wouldn't try that
Please dont shoot me and dont consider me or my kind cannibals' but..
Meat on the pike here is a well known delicacy since the times of ancient Athens

The head brains+eyes+tongue(for some) are probably the best part.

I dont want to be graphic or provocative to anyone of you guys really the eyes taste like.... ferrero rocher to me 🤣

Ive seen once an american reality show where the contestants had to eat 1 lamb eye and evryone was SO FREAKED out 🤣🤣🤣
But i wanted the whole jar to be honest!

Once again, DONT SHOOT!!!

loopfinding

Friend of Leo's
Homeopathy is the reason to eat tripe, it's good for your stomach. Not kidding

It sounds like the kidneys you ate weren't prepared properly. Dad told me as a wee lad that the proper way to prepare kidney is to boil the piss out of them! 🤪

I had kidneys from beef, parrillada style in Buenos Aires at a fancy spot a local took me to. The other offal was great. If it can’t be done that way, I’m not sure it’s possible for me.

Also I don’t believe in Homeopathy, haha.

oregomike

Tele-Afflicted

I am not saying i wouldn't try that, but they could have at least removed the hairs the duck tongues.

Not saying I wouldn't try that, but I wouldn't try that.

Although, years ago, I mistakenly ate a couple of pieces of what I thought were little bites or nuggets of breaded chicken. Taste was good, but hmmm, texture was a bit soft. "What is this?" I walked back to the station where they were serving the food (this was a lunch cafe where I worked in IT, so we had some creative chefs at the time). Anyway, the card said, "Breaded sweetbread nuggets."

"Check, please!"

David Barnett

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
It actually isn’t very likely. Calamari isn’t totally a staple thing on a lot of Italian menus in Italy, unless you are in a seafood region. IIRC, one of the reasons for its rise in ubiquity in US Italian restaurants in the 80s and 90s was that there was a surplus of cheap squid on the eastern seaboard.

If the OG incentive was economic, it’s not a delicacy, so it doesn’t make too much sense it would be swapped. Besides, you can tell something that came from the sea right away unless you don’t have tastebuds or have never eaten seafood - there is no saltwater nothing that doesn’t taste like it.

There's a lot of America that isn't close enough to the sea to have consistent supplies of fresh seafood. If the clientele are not very sophisticated, they'd be easy enough to fool. And with a lot of fried food all you can really smell is the oil and breading.

At the end of the "This American Life" radio show on this topic, they did a taste test. The main difference they noticed was that the pig bung was a little more chewy.

Fiesta Red

Poster Extraordinaire
I’ll try anything once.

I don’t like liver. I’ve tried enough different recipes and preparation techniques to politely say no to anyone offering it ;and bluntly say no to anyone who persists). Plus, it’s a filter. I don’t eat filters.

I prefer not to eat brains, but if I do, they’re gonna be adequately prepared and cooked thoroughly.

I love Menudo and Chitlins, so tripe is all right with me.

loopfinding

Friend of Leo's
I’ll try anything once.

I don’t like liver. I’ve tried enough different recipes and preparation techniques to politely say no to anyone offering it ;and bluntly say no to anyone who persists). Plus, it’s a filter. I don’t eat filters.

I prefer not to eat brains, but if I do, they’re gonna be adequately prepared and cooked thoroughly.

I love Menudo and Chitlins, so tripe is all right with me.

It’s all about finding your niche. The die-hard offal-everythings always want to shame you for being a coward and the ones who won’t touch anything spoil the party.

Greg70

Tele-Holic
Yep, S.C. born.

Similar with chickens. Mama would have me catch one by flashlight grabbing it by the feet from the roost after it got dark (because they couldn’t see well then!) and put it in a wire bottom big cage with water and cracked corn overnight, and have me chop its head with a hatchet on the hickory tree stump next day. After it ran and stumbled headless for a few minutes, dip in scalding hot water to ease plucking its feathers, and she would finish butchering it. She would keep and usually stew most of its parts. I loved chicken brains, it’s partially developed egg yolks (if a laying hen), and the feet.

Squirrel brain is good too.

And once I killed a coon and we stewed, then deboned and baked it.
My mother grew up on a farm. She said that her mother would tie the chicken's feet to the clothesline and then lop off their head. This kept them from running into things and flopping on the ground, which can cause bruising to the meat and broken bones.

loopfinding

Friend of Leo's
There's a lot of America that isn't close enough to the sea to have consistent supplies of fresh seafood. If the clientele are not very sophisticated, they'd be easy enough to fool. And with a lot of fried food all you can really smell is the oil and breading.

At the end of the "This American Life" radio show on this topic, they did a taste test. The main difference they noticed was that the pig bung was a little more chewy.

I mean I wouldn’t put it past people in landlocked areas to try and fool someone who had no idea. But I’ve eaten both squid and pig large intestine (if not rectum included?). One tastes like the sea and one tastes like game/barnyard no matter how much you try to dress them up, or how good or cheap they are. Calamari is still cheaper than some stuff like mozzarella sticks (they really don’t like prepping those things) in a lot of nyc area restaurants.

Last edited: