pig brains, duck tongues, and other delicacies.

dkmw

Poster Extraordinaire

Thanks for making sure I never eat calamari in a restaurant again. No sir, from now on I’ll only cut up squids I can hold in my hand and be sure they’re squids.

Flaneur

Poster Extraordinaire
This reminds me of those great offal threads. The guy who flinches, at the thought of eating Haggis- but has sausages at breakfast, twice a week......:D

yegbert

Poster Extraordinaire
I’m reasonably sure that I’m not the only poster from the southern US who has eaten brains and eggs for breakfast.
My grandmother grew up on a sustenance farm - you don’t waste one bit of that pig.
Yep, S.C. born.

Similar with chickens. Mama would have me catch one by flashlight grabbing it by the feet from the roost after it got dark (because they couldn’t see well then!) and put it in a wire bottom big cage with water and cracked corn overnight, and have me chop its head with a hatchet on the hickory tree stump next day. After it ran and stumbled headless for a few minutes, dip in scalding hot water to ease plucking its feathers, and she would finish butchering it. She would keep and usually stew most of its parts. I loved chicken brains, it’s partially developed egg yolks (if a laying hen), and the feet.

Squirrel brain is good too.

And once I killed a coon and we stewed, then deboned and baked it.

dkmw

Poster Extraordinaire
Yep, S.C. born.

Similar with chickens. Mama would have me catch one by flashlight grabbing it by the feet from the roost after it got dark (because they couldn’t see well then!) and put it in a wire bottom big cage with water and cracked corn overnight, and have me chop its head with a hatchet on the hickory tree stump next day. After it ran and stumbled headless for a few minutes, dip in scalding hot water to ease plucking its feathers, and she would finish butchering it. She would keep and usually stew most of its parts. I loved chicken brains, it’s partially developed egg yolks (if a laying hen), and the feet.

Squirrel brain is good too.

And once I killed a coon and we stewed, then deboned and baked it.

My cat loves squirrel brains. She always eats the head first when she kills one (squirrels are very much a pest around here, and there’s way too many of them - please no lectures).

My grandmother would send me over to her sister’s house, about a hundred yards away, to get a chicken. She’d cut the head off and I’d wait for it to stop moving before I carried it back, bleeding out along the way.

Telekarster

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
Local saloon in the small town I grew up in served brain sandwiches on the menu. They were very popular and I liked em too! In fact.... now I want one LOL!!! ;)

JL_LI

Poster Extraordinaire
The simple truth is that many of us don’t want to think about where our food comes from. Me, I’m not like that. Food comes from Whole Foods and I don’t concern myself much about what’s in it as long as it tastes good. I’ve travelled widely and tried almost anything once. I’ve also learned just how far 50 words of French takes you. I ordered veau (veal) something. What came to the table was veal something all right. It was the size of a potato. It looked like what a horse left behind. The something was kidney. That day, I learned my 51st word in French.

Last edited:

loopfinding

Friend of Leo's
Never got to eat brains, cause it was always at some spot that I don’t think would have been good to get it.

Liver - always down for, mammals or birds.

Kidneys - totally disgusting tasting.

Bull penis - horrendous, like eating the wax of those wax bottle candies, if the taste was like cow poop smell.

Pig intestine chinese style - it was alright.

Tongues of any animal - meh, I don’t understand the hype.

Stomach/tripe - it’s not gross but it just doesn’t taste like anything, why bother.

Fried sweetbreads (the calf’s gland)? Delicious.

Last edited:

985plowboy

Poster Extraordinaire
I’m pretty much game to try food from other cultures, and do whenever the opportunity presents itself, but it might be best to not know what some of that stuff is until after I decide I like it.