1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Piezo..What if?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Tollehouse Twang, Nov 6, 2017.

1. Peltogyne

Peltogyne Friend of Leo's

I think "Pie Zoes" in a solid body guitar can do a very convincing tonal sibling of an acoustic with a piezo bridge. Sure there are many differences in the sound you can tell by looking at the guitar but just by listening it can be tough. Here's one example.

I would go so far as to say even a Tele with normal strings and piezo saddles will sound like a piezoed steel string acoustic enough for my needs. If your goal is to sound like a piezo in an acoustic I feel the piezo in the saddle of a semi hollow will get you close enough that the difference is irrelevant to me.

Tollehouse Twang likes this.
  2. Zepfan

Zepfan Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

The rod piezo's are much better and the preamps for a Ukulele would be small enough for a thin guitar /bass.

3. dogwatermike

dogwatermike Tele-Meister

These gizmos are used extensively in science and engineering......Ira has the correct pronunciation.....

I've seen YouTube videos that pronounce it "pie-zo" it makes it seem like those guys are illiterate!

4. Zepfan

Zepfan Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

I think you coined the name for these in the opening of your first sentence: Gizmos
    They shall hence forth be known as Gizmos.;)

5. draggindakota

draggindakota Tele-Meister

Will it sound like a full bodied acoustic? No, not without some sort of signal magic manipulation. But it CAN sound very good. I had a Charvel Surfcaster acoustic that was exactly as you're describing, rod piezo under the saddle of an acoustic style bridge, thin hollow body. That thing had surprisingly good tone plugged or unplugged. Sorry, no sound clips though.

Zepfan likes this.
  6. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

Replace the mono output jack with a stereo, and wire piezo to the ring of the output. Then mount the preamp in an external enclosure and connect the two with a short stereo patch cable. That's how I acoustified my Gretsch, and it didn't need any routing or batteries on the guitar itself:
    http://www.gretsch-talk.com/threads/new-build-the-electrocoustimatic-5120.163617/
    This setup also allows you to plug into your amp and go on the magnetic pickups, just like you always do. :cool:

Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
    Zepfan and richa like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.