1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Piezo/Electric Hybrid Tele

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Judehey, Dec 1, 2020.

1. Judehey

Judehey TDPRI Member

I always wanted a Piezo/Electric hybrid. I've read about the Graphtech Ghost, and I have a MIM Tele sitting in the back, so off we go. I haven't found much about doing this mod on the internet, so I thought I'd post this. Maybe someone can learn from my mistakes or prevent me from making some. I previously did a reversible Joe Wilson mod, so I have plenty of spare parts, but this one won't be fully reversible.

2. Judehey

Judehey TDPRI Member

I plan to cut slots in the bridge for the bridge piece wires. I marked the intonated positions to figure where to route the slots. I'll be using a mini-mill and .085" endmill, as soon as Amazon delivers the bit.
    bridge mark.jpg

Attached Files:

3. Judehey

Judehey TDPRI Member

parts layout.jpg I unsoldered everything to plan the body route. This definitely won't be reversible. Not sure what to do with the battery. I plan to hide the route under the scratch plate, but it would be a pain to change the battery. The other option is to put it in the back, but that would be really irreversible. Any suggestions?

4. gabeNC

gabeNC TDPRI Member Ad Free Member

How long does the battery last? Change preemptively every 3rd or 4th string change?

Luvs2yoko likes this.
  5. Judehey

Judehey TDPRI Member

No clue. There's a bypass mod you can do to deal with a dead battery, but it requires an additional switch, which I don't want too add.
    Plus I'm not real good about changing batteries, or strings.

6. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Many active setups use an output jack to power-on and power-off which makes for very long battery times. I'd probably do a battery holder in the back, but you have enough room under the pickguard to do a router for both the circuitry and the battery if you want to keep things up-top. While that routing isn't reversible, per se, as long as there is a pickguard on the instrument, it will never be seen.

PaulNYC likes this.
  7. Vizcaster

Vizcaster Poster Extraordinaire

I have a battery box on the back of the partscaster in my avatar (Fralin electric pickups, Fishman pickup and preamp for the piezo). Try it with a stereo cord with the piezo going to an acoustic amp or PA and the regular signal going to a normal guitar amp. Sure, it can be done with a mono cord, but I hate the sound of a piezo going into an electric guitar amp (even clean, it's just not a flat EQ, too much mid honk for an acoustic sound).

8. Judehey

Judehey TDPRI Member

Finally got the slots cut in the bridge. Not anywhere near perfect, but good enough. They'll be hidden under the saddles. The blame falls equally on my lack of machining experience and the slop in my mini mill. I cut the slots .05" over, and it's still a pretty tight squeeze. I pre-drilled one end of each slot, then found the holes by feel with the endmill. That got them in a nice straight line, but caused a lot of the crooked-ness of the slots. Next time I'll just use the endmill. You can see the bridge in the pic. The blue tape with the lines is to route the grooves for the wires. The summing board will go in the bridge pickup cavity.
    Next up, making the router templates. I think I'll put the battery under the pickguard rather than in the back, but I'll put in threaded inserts so I don't wear out the holes in the wood. Bridge slots.jpg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.