Pieces of rubber fuel line for standoffs?

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by SerpentRuss, Oct 26, 2021.

Would you use rubber fuel line as a board standoff

Poll closed Nov 5, 2021.
  1. Nope, not in my amplifer

9 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. I think it would be OK.

18 vote(s)
    66.7%
  1. SerpentRuss

SerpentRuss Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

I am putting a phenolic board onto a steel chassis of a head I'm building. I'm looking to elevate this board by about 5/8 of an inch. It's 5 x 13 inches and I have 8, 8-32 studs fairly evenly spaced to attach it. I was going to use some aluminum rod and make some stand-offs, but the piece of rod I have laying around turned out to be larger than I remembered at 1/2 inch diameter. I have different sizes of fuel line and I figured it lives for years under a hood. All the heavy componentry is chassis mounted. I haven't test mounted it yet, which I can do to see how much it moves.

Thoughts? alternative suggestions?

20211026_204406.jpg

stormsedge likes this.
  2. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Friend of Leo's

I've had some under a guitar pickup for about 10 years now. It gets hard, but it probably won't crumble to dust for a few more decades.

SerpentRuss likes this.
  3. dogmeat

dogmeat Friend of Leo's

I do it all the time on aircraft engines to keep wires and push/pull cables off each other and off of other things. standard practice for for decades. it can be done with a Tywrap too. put the free end of the strap into the tubing, go around the wire, back through the tube, then around the other wire and bring it home. works great. if you use Ties, get the good ones like T&B. cheapo ties get brittle over time, especially in UV light and ozone

nice thing about rubber tube with ties is that there will always be a little tension on the tie. ties straight on to a metal tube almost never get tight and can move around.

the rubber provides some vibration dampening too

JL_LI, telemnemonics and SerpentRuss like this.
  4. Tele Slacker

Tele Slacker Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I’ve used stacked rubber washers as standoffs (with a backer board… “belts and suspenders”). Worked well… added vibration resistance?

SerpentRuss likes this.
  5. AlfaNovember

AlfaNovember TDPRI Member

Textronix used a similar idea in their tube oscilloscopes, although I expect the rubber grommets were engineered to a suitably low decoupling frequency.

6. Deeve

Deeve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Sure - why not.
    You have my permission -
    A phrase I say to Mrs Deeve when she's gonna do something anyway... :rolleyes:
    Peace - Deeve

Tele Slacker and SerpentRuss like this.
  7. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

I have used auto fuel line for so many applications and have always worked out for me. A perfect application here..

stormsedge and telemnemonics like this.
  8. Bill Moore

Bill Moore Tele-Afflicted

The only downside might be not getting equal tension. Maybe a drop of nail polish on the threads when you have them tightened to your liking?

9. stormsedge

stormsedge Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Concur. I keep several sizes here for use in projects. I use heater hose sometimes for bigger gaps. Be aware that weight on the rubber hose tends to smash it over time..but probably not an issue here.

Obsessed likes this.
  10. mountainhick

mountainhick Tele-Meister

I'd use interference nuts, or nylo nuts or loctite with flexible spacers.

11. Speedy454

Speedy454 Tele-Holic

This might sound really strange, but check it with an ohm meter set to a high range first.
    Some rubber hoses are somewhat conductive to prevent static from building up as the fluid goes through.

I had relocated the battery to the trunk of my race car years ago and had to make a splice in the positive battery lead. I covered the splice in a section of rubber heater hose and secured the battery cable and splice to the chassis from the rear of the car up to the front.

The battery would go dead in about 10 to 15 days just sitting there. And I mean DEAD.

Long story shorter, there was almost 1 amp of current through that splice covered with heater hose to the chassis/ground.

A quick ohm meter check showed a fairly low resistance in that rubber hose.

AlfaNovember, Bill Moore and Renown like this.
  12. Renown

Renown TDPRI Member

ive used pen barrels. The plastic or nylon type. Their rigid and easy to cut. non conductive also.

Rubber hose slit down the length works good for flexible grommet. I suppose it would be ok for standoff if height and weight are at a minimum.

13. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Friend of Leo's

ozone degrades rubber, high voltage creates ozone.

14. jman72

jman72 Tele-Afflicted

Rubber grommets are used throughout guitar amplifiers (anywhere wires are run through the chassis), so I don't see why it wouldn't work for standoffs.

15. Bill Moore

Like Speedy454 says, the hose can become conductive. I spent most of the morning once trying to find a draw on a Cadillac with no luck. My buddy came by and asked if I was sure it wasn't the alternator, he lifted the heater hose running behind the alternator, and I lost the draw. The hose was touching the battery connector!

SerpentRuss likes this.
  16. SerpentRuss

Having a conductive standoff isn't really an issue is it? I was going to make them out of aluminum and there are plenty of standoffs in multi-board devices from back in the day with solid brass standoffs. I don't plan on letting any bare wires touch them.

King Fan likes this.
  17. Bill Moore

I use aluminum standoffs with my boards, but they are generally 6 x 32, not the size of fuel line.
    Sure, make sure there's no electrical connection, (or the ability of the hose to move into one).

18. MickM

MickM Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Tractor supply sells differen't sized nylon bushings that work for many applications. Cheap too.

bill in kc and SerpentRuss like this.
  19. SerpentRuss

I really like the grommet assortment harbor freight sells, I just found that recently and purchased it. I need to go to tractor supply and see what they have. I'm using studs, so I just want something to slip over the screw and work as a spacer. I have an engine lathe, so making them out of an aluminum rod is not that big of a deal. The fuel line would be so much easier.

https://www.harborfreight.com/180-piece-harness-grommet-set-67582.html

MickM likes this.
  20. MickM

MickM Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

"I have an engine lathe" he says finally. Fuel line?:lol:

SerpentRuss likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.